Windows 7 is not alerting user with password expiration reminder. RRS feed

• 質問

• My domain password is set to expire in 10 days.  I DO NOT receive the logon message "Your password will expire in n days.  Do you want to change it now?" when logging on to my Windows 7 (RTM) workstation.  I do however receive this message when I log on to a Vista or 2003 machine (have not tried XP).  Is there a setting or GPO that needs to be configured for this to work on Win7?
    2009年9月24日 18:44

回答

• Please follow the steps below to configure it in Group Policy Editor.

1. Enter gpedit.msc in Start Search box.
    2. Navigate to

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies - Security Options

3. In the right pane, double-click on the policy “Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration”.
    4. Change the value you want.

Another possible reason is that the local cached certification is used when log on when the network connection is not established. In this case the password expiration information will not be delivered to the client computer. You may need to enable the policy “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon to the computer” although it will slower the log on speed for every users. Fundamentally, it is a slow network connection problem at startup. It can be related to the compatibility of the DNS, DHCP server or the local network adapter driver.  

• 回答としてマーク Arthur Xie 2009年10月7日 2:36
    2009年9月25日 8:33

すべての返信

• Same used to happen here but after i altered the password complexity to 14 then started to receive the password expliry but now i dont want that and it keeps warning me to change password in less than the expected..weird *-*

Regards,
    RR

2009年9月24日 19:15
  • Please follow the steps below to configure it in Group Policy Editor.

1. Enter gpedit.msc in Start Search box.
    2. Navigate to

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies - Security Options

3. In the right pane, double-click on the policy “Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration”.
    4. Change the value you want.

Another possible reason is that the local cached certification is used when log on when the network connection is not established. In this case the password expiration information will not be delivered to the client computer. You may need to enable the policy “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon to the computer” although it will slower the log on speed for every users. Fundamentally, it is a slow network connection problem at startup. It can be related to the compatibility of the DNS, DHCP server or the local network adapter driver.  

• 回答としてマーク Arthur Xie 2009年10月7日 2:36
    2009年9月25日 8:33
  • Hello,

We have the exact same problem since we deployed Windows 7 Enterprise in our office this spring. Users don't get the alerting prompt to change password when they logon as it was with Windows XP. We have a domain policy to change password every 90 days.

I have set both above mentioned policy. what we get is a baloon reminder once logged on. But the balloon pop up last only for a few seconds and it is hard to read how many days are left before changing password. I have noticed since I changed "always wait for the network at computer startup...." that bootup time is slower so I guess the policy was applied successfully.

What else could be wrong?

Thanks,

Edy

2012年6月19日 7:30
  • Hi,

Having the same issue that Edy Werder describes in our Windows 7 Enterprise environment. Users get a balloon pop-up reminder that their network password will expire when the logon, starting 10 days prior. However the pop-up only lasts a few seconds, causing many users to miss the warning and ultimately causing their account password to expire. We have sent out a user note to warn users but we getting reports of users that do not change their password. Has anyone found a way to change this password warning behavior in Windows 7 Enterprise environment?

Thanks,

Margarito

2013年6月4日 15:00
  • Hi Margarito,

I am wondering if you have found a solution for this issue?  We've been experiencing the same thing ever since moving to Win 7 this time last year.  Staff used to get frustrated that the pop up appeared for the last 15 days, now then get annoyed by the fact their account locks out mid way through the day.

We have 'Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration' set to 8 days but this only means the bubble appears for the last 8 days.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Laver-Smith

2013年7月11日 16:04
  • Sorry no - Apparently there is no solution beside a Login script which alerts the user of password age. But we haven't implemented the script.

Thanks,

Edy

2013年7月11日 17:20
  • Hi Guys, I got the same issue, anyone got something to keep the pop up longer ? Or even bigger ?
    2013年10月28日 13:26
  • There is no solution shown anywhere.

Login script won't help remote users who are using cached credentials and all the many people who never log  out and just lock the screen and walk away every day.  If you can use a login script, then you will get the expired password change prompt when you log in and will get the balloon notice before it expires, so it will not be that useful.

2013年11月6日 6:17
  • From another discussion on the timing of a baloon appearing:

It can be set via registry key:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility]
    "MessageDuration"=dword:00000005

And if it can be set via registry then it also can be set via GPO.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx

2013年12月2日 11:41
  • thank you very much for this reg key. 
    2014年12月3日 4:09
  • I HAVE CONFIGURED EXPIRE DATE AS 20 DAYS BUT, 
    FROM WHICH DATE IT WILL TAKE AS REFERENCE DATE FOR PASSWORD.
    LET'S SAY TODAY I HAVE CONFIGURED 06-01-2018,
    MY PASSWORD WILL EXPIRE ON 26-01-2018.
    HOW TO CONFIGURE THAT ?? WILL I GET THE POP-UP !! 

2018年1月6日 7:33