none
No DVI output with Windows 7 but VGA works fine RRS feed

• 질문

• I've installed Windows 7 on my main PC and the display goes black after the Windows splash screen appears.  The only way to display video is if I use the VGA output on my graphics card (nVidia 8500GT).  My motherboard is an MSI K9N Platinum SLI with an AMD X2 5200+ CPU.  I've tried various nVidia drivers with no luck.  The motherboard BIOS is current with the latest version.

I have the PC connected to an Acer X213W monitor via a DVI/USB KVM switch.  There are two other PCs connected to the same monitor.  One is a Hackintosh running Snow Leopard and the other is another PC running the same version of Windows 7 with an nVidia 8600GT card.  The 2nd PC and the Hackintosh work with the monitor using the DVI output but I have to switch to VGA when the main PC is placed online.  I had originally been using an ATi HD 3650 graphics card with the main PC and lost the DVI output with that card as well.  I tried various ATi drivers with no luck before I discovered it would only work using a VGA connection.  I reinstalled Windows 7 at least a half dozen times before making this discovery.  I had upgraded both PCs from Windows XP and never had an issue with graphics display before.  This is absolutely inexcusable for Microsoft to release an OS with these kinds of issues.  I have seen this same problem posted in many forums and the response is always some kind of BS workaround that never works or an excuse that Windows 7 is new and there are still driver issues. 

My question is, why was it released at all if issues like this exist?  I also want to know what Microsoft is going to do to fix the problem because it's clearly a Windows 7 issue.  My PC was working perfectly fine before I decided to "upgrade" it.  If it wasn't for the fact that I had to reinstall everything from scratch (and numerous time to boot) I'd be reverting back to Windows XP in a heartbeat.
    2010년 1월 29일 금요일 오후 9:45

모든 응답

• Microsoft does not write device drivers but surely works with a large vendor base to help them make their hardware work with Windows, have you tried calling the vendor for support and checked if they support this card on Windows 7?

Satya

Satya {Platforms Performance}
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오전 12:46
  • I have used several different cards in this PC from both ATi and nVidia with the exact same results.  I use a similar card in another PC with the same version of Windows 7 and have no issues.  I can only assume that there's a compatibility issue with Win 7 and the motherboard/chipset drivers (also updated to the latest versions that are supposed to be Win 7 compatible).  The problem persisted both before and after I installed any additional drivers for other system components.  Windows 7 worked on the 2nd PC and nVidia card even before I installed any graphics drivers.  The bottom line is that the DVI output on the card should work even with generic drivers installed.  If it were isolated to a single card then I'd be looking at the graphics drivers.  The fact that I can't get a DVI output from ANY card I install tells me there's an issue with Win 7.  This is the first time I've seen a problem of this type with any operating system on any platform.
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오전 1:49
  • Did you stop to think that there might be a hardware problem with the motherboard or the slot the card mounts into? Windows 7 works for thousands of people. The fact that it doesn't work for you on one computer does not mean Win7 is at fault!

Suggest you take it to a computer shop and let them resolve the problem for you.

2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오전 2:03
  • Did you stop to think that there might be a hardware problem with the motherboard or the slot the card mounts into? Windows 7 works for thousands of people. The fact that it doesn't work for you on one computer does not mean Win7 is at fault!

Suggest you take it to a computer shop and let them resolve the problem for you.

If that were the case then I'd get no video at all. The video information only takes a single path to the video card via the PCI-E slot and I have video output via VGA so the signal is most definitely getting through the connector slot.   The video displays via DVI right up until the point where the Windows splash screen is displayed.  The motherboard has two PCI-E x16 slots and the same problem manifests itself with any video card in either slot.  The video is obviously getting to the card so it's not the slot.  If it was the slot then I should not get video using either DVI or VGA.  Video works perfectly fine when I reinstall my old hard drive with Windows XP.  The only variable that's changed is the operating system.  The logical conclusion is that it's a glitch in Windows 7.

FWIW I've been building my own PCs for over 15 years and never had a problem like this.
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오후 1:18
  • I tried using a VGA to DVI converter but it apparently doesn't like going through my KVM switch.  I've just ordered a new motherboard so I'm crossing my fingers that Windows 7 likes it better than my old MSI mainboard.  I'm pissed because I really liked the MSI.  I have another MSI mainboard in my HTPC and I'm nervous that I may have the same issue with it.  I need to upgrade it to Windows 7 Media Center so I can install one of the new CableCARD tuners when they're released in the next month or so.
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오후 1:23
  • Now this is starting to get weird.  I tried the direct connection to the monitor and it worked with the DVI output.  The weird part is that I never had any issues with the switch before and I have two other Win 7 PCs connected to it that also work fine (I have a Dell Zino HD connected to the 4th port that I forgot to mention earlier).  I had also tried a direct connection when I was going through the Win 7 installation headaches and it still wasn't working.  I forgot to mention that I just downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers so perhaps that had something to do with it.  I'm happy that I am now able to use the DVI output of my PC instead of the VGA output.  I got a lot of ghosting with the VGA connection and the resolution settings were limited and much lower than what I wanted to use with my monitor.

Just as a lark I tried another setup.  I have an IOGear 2-way KVM switch that I was using before I added the Hackintosh and the Zino.  I connected one leg of the switch to the output of my 4-way switch and the other leg to my main PC with the output connected directly to the monitor.  I left the USB and audio connections mated with the 4-way switch.  I can now switch between all four PCs using the combination of the two switches and all I have to do is press two buttons.  If I switch between any of the three other PCs I only have to use the 4-way switch but if I go between any of the three and the main PC then I have to switch the 2-way switch as well.
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오후 6:29
  •  I have several PCs and a Hackintosh that I use for specific tasks.  I generally have just the three computers connected to the switch.  I use my main PC for general computing chores and surfing the net.  I use the 2nd PC for ripping Blu-Ray discs and DVDs and processing the files to remove the extras.  The Hackintosh is just a toy I built to learn how to use a Mac. We have Macs at work in various areas and sometimes I have a need to use one of them so I figured what better way to do it without spending a bundle on an actual Mac.  The Zino HD is going upstairs to my son's room so he can stream the ripped DVDs and Blu-Ray movies from my unRAID server to his HDTV.  I plan on eventually upgrading the TV in the family room to a flat screen and will move the Zino there so we can watch movies when company comes over.  I currently have 8 PCs and one server set up in my house, all connected via a gigabit wired network.
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오후 7:17
  • Both PCs have Blu-Ray readers, with the 2nd drive being a BD burner as well.  I've been using unRAID for almost three years now and it's been running without a hitch.  It's currently got 14 disks with a total capacity of 11.5TB.  I absolutely love it as it's ridiculously easy to set up and configure and won't break the bank getting the basic hardware.  It uses a Linux distribution and boots off a flash drive so I don't need to use a disk slot to install the OS.  One drive is used for parity so the chances of losing data are slim.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone without hesitation.  You can download a free version from the Lime Technology website that supports two data disks and one parity drive.  You can purchase licenses that support either six or sixteen disks if you decide you like it. 

One of the things I like most is that you can create shared folders that span across all of the drives.  Each folder can be mapped like a standalone drive.  I use it to store all of my movies from Blu-Rays and DVDs.  One thing I like is that it doesn't scatter the individual movie files across multiple drives.  It keeps the entire fileset for a single movie on one drive but distributes the movies evenly over all of the drives.  I can control and monitor the server using my web browser.  I'm sure there are other similar solutions that work as well, if not better, but it's been a perfect setup for my situation.  Did I mention that you can mix and match drives of various capacities and types (i.e., IDE and SATA and probably others as well, such as USB or eSATA)?
    2010년 1월 30일 토요일 오후 9:26
  • To me, the original issue of no DVI has been solved. For any further questions of problems relating to windows 7, you should start a new thread. Now say you're sorry to Microsoft ;)  It wasn't their problem.

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    2010년 1월 31일 일요일 오전 7:45
  • Based on cause and effect I think you can see how it was logical to blame Windows 7.  Everything worked fine before Windows 7 was installed and now it's broken.  I shouldn't have to create a workaround for the problem when none existed beforehand.  I'm still not convinced it's not a Windows 7 issue so no, I do not apologize to Microsoft.  However, I do thank you all for your assistance.

FWIW, I have seen this same problem posted numerous times in other forums from people that are NOT using a KVM switch.
    2010년 1월 31일 일요일 오후 1:28
  • But you're blaming Microsoft when they don't create the hardware or the drivers and they certainly didn't force you to use Windows 7 and there is a reason for a hardware compatibility list but they can't test everything. It was up to the beta testers and the hardware OEM to test to see if their hardware was compatible and/or issue firmware releases to either make it compatible or not. That's like a woman saying the dress fit fine when she was 100lbs, now she's gained ten pounds and blaming the dress for not automatically adjusting to her fat behind ;) Just because she looked fine before, doesn't mean she looks fine now. Start harping at the KVM maker or look to see if they have new firmware.
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    2010년 1월 31일 일요일 오후 8:24
  • I think you guys are missing the point.  I have two other Win 7 PCs that work fine with the KVM switch.  My main PC also worked fine with it until I installed Win 7.  The only variable that changed in the equation was Win 7, ergo the logical conclusion is that Win 7 broke it.  I have tried the main PC on other inputs of the KVM switch and I get the same results.  Those same inputs work fine with the other computers connected to the switch, so it's reasonable to assume that the switch is not the problem.  I can't explain why it no longer works and I'm not saying that Win 7 is entirely at fault.  It just seems to be the most likely culprit based on a reasonable analysis of the situation.

FYI - The problem originally manifested itself with an ATi graphics card and not an nVidia card.  I only switched to the nVidia card to see if I could get an output via DVI on a different card that I had on hand.  The nVidia card has a VGA output in addition to the DVI connection so that's what I ended up using until I discovered the workaround.  I installed the latest nVidia driver that was mentioned but it didn't solve the problem.  I have a new Asus M4A79 Deluxe motherboard on the way so hopefully I won't have the same issue with the new mainboard.  I didn't want to have to buy a whole new mainboard/CPU/memory setup so I found a mainboard that is compatible with my current CPU and memory while affording an upgrade path should I decide to take it (which I probably will in the near future).

It's not my intention to bash Microsoft or Windows 7.  I finally upgraded to Windows 7 from XP Pro and so far I am pleased with what I've seen.  I had Vista on a couple of PCs in my home and I wasn't impressed by it at all.  Win 7 appears to finally be what Vista should have been all along.  I'm really hoping that I can iron out this one bug and get past it.

Actually, you did force me to switch to Windows 7 because you will no longer be supporting XP.  I would never have considered switching to Vista under any circumstance.  The only reason I had it on a couple of PCs is because they came with it and the manufacturers did not have XP drivers for the hardware.  I have since upgraded both machines to Win 7 Home Premium. 

I don't usually upgrade to a new Windows OS until it's been out long enough for at least one service pack to be released because your new OS releases tend to be riddled with bugs, regardless of how long you've beta tested them.  Windows 7 is the first Microsoft OS I've installed this soon after release since Windows 95, and that's only because of good word of mouth from those that used the pre-release version and the fact the I don't have to buy an entire OEM PC to use the new CableCARD tuners when they're released.
    2010년 1월 31일 일요일 오후 10:09