none
Mapped network drive disconnecting by itself RRS feed

• Pergunta

• I have two users that are having this issue. We are on a domain and we have a user drive that gets mapped via the user profile on login along with a few other network drives that get mapped via a GPO. When the users take their laptops home the user drive disappears but the other network drives stay. I have tried manually mapping the drive but it is still dropping. I have tried mapping through command prompt with this and it still drops. NET USE J: \\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh /PERSISTENT:YES

Now if he logs in while on the domain network the drive will be there. If he logs in while not on the domain network the drive is gone. If it not there I am still able to map the drive after the fact and if he connects to the VPN then it will work normally.

Again it is only 2 users that are having this issue. All my other laptop users do not have this issue after I manually map the drive the first time.

segunda-feira, 21 de outubro de 2019 15:14

Respostas

• Try removing the J: drive, and then map it.

NET USE J: /DELETE

NET USE J: \\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh /PERSISTENT:YES

Or, using PowerShell

try

{

Get-PSDrive J | Remove-PSDrive

}

catch{}

New-PSDrive -Name "J" -PSProvider "FileSystem" -Root "\\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh" -Persist

• Marcado como Resposta RayKIII sexta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2019 15:38
    sábado, 26 de outubro de 2019 18:15

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,
    >> We are on a domain and we have a user drive that gets mapped via the user profile
    I am confused about your configuration. Do you mean mapping drives from AD profile?
    Please give a clear description about your configuration process of the user drive to help us troubleshoot. 
    Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.
    Have a nice day!
    Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

terça-feira, 22 de outubro de 2019 08:48
  • Sorry, let me walk the process of setting up the drive like this. In active directory, under users, user properties, profile tab there is an option for Home Folder. I use the connect radial button then select the drive letter and put in the network path as follows \\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh . 

If any more info is needed, please let me know.

terça-feira, 22 de outubro de 2019 15:30
  • Hi,
    >>In active directory, under users, user properties, profile tab there is an option for Home Folder.
    We have consulted our colleague who is familiar with AD part and he told me that this might be a normal behavior.
    Because AD profile data is stored in DC, when the laptop logs in not on the domain, it cannot connect to DC the connection will drop.
    If you still have any concern, you can have this asked in our AD forum for better answers.
    It’s a right place you could get more information.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS
    Have a nice day!
    Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quarta-feira, 23 de outubro de 2019 02:22
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    quinta-feira, 24 de outubro de 2019 02:13
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as ‘Answered’ as the information provided should be helpful. 
    If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    Best regards,
    Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

sexta-feira, 25 de outubro de 2019 08:38
  • Sorry, no that does not answer my question. My problem is not with the domain mapping the drive when he is in the office. My issue is even if I map the drive manually, either by command line or by right clicking on This PC in File explorer and selecting Map network drive, the drive is still disappearing. When mapping a drive manually like this it should stay, even when not connected to the domains network.
    sexta-feira, 25 de outubro de 2019 18:50
  • Try removing the J: drive, and then map it.

NET USE J: /DELETE

NET USE J: \\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh /PERSISTENT:YES

Or, using PowerShell

try

{

Get-PSDrive J | Remove-PSDrive

}

catch{}

New-PSDrive -Name "J" -PSProvider "FileSystem" -Root "\\192.196.1.1\UsersFiles\jdoh" -Persist

• Marcado como Resposta RayKIII sexta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2019 15:38
    sábado, 26 de outubro de 2019 18:15
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Ellen

terça-feira, 29 de outubro de 2019 02:49
  • I set this up today so we will see if it works this week.
    terça-feira, 29 de outubro de 2019 12:08
  • So far no, the information provided has not helped.
    terça-feira, 29 de outubro de 2019 13:34
  • Hi,

Since you still have question, you can have this asked in our AD forum for better answers.
    It’s a right place you could get more information.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverDS
    Have a nice day!

Ellen

quinta-feira, 31 de outubro de 2019 08:01
  • Check event viewer. Do you have an approximate time when the drive disappears? I would check Application logs, and User Profile service logs to start (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/folder-redirection/troubleshoot-user-profiles-events). Whatever it is that is happening, it is probably captured in a log somewhere on the subject machine.

If you know how long it takes after mapping the drive for it to disappear, download ProcessMonitor from Microsoft and start a capture all activity, starting just before when you expect the problem to occur.

I forgot to ask... Does this happen to these same users if they log into a different computer?

quinta-feira, 31 de outubro de 2019 12:24
  • Please try using a different drive letter, and also check for group policies that may be interfering with the drive mapping (see: RSOP).
    sábado, 2 de novembro de 2019 19:21
  • OK so this worked but I have to add that I removed the drive mapping from the user profile also. I am still doing additional testing.
    sexta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2019 15:42
  • I seem to have gotten it to stick by mapping the drive manually and taking the mapping out of the user profile. This is not idea so I am putting it back in the user profile again to check the things you have mentioned.

I don't think it is a time that it drops it, it seems to be that when they log in and they are not on the domain network is when it is dropped. 

"Does this happen to these same users if they log into a different computer?" - that is a good questions. I will see about getting the user another laptop to test that on.

sexta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2019 15:59