none
ACT V5.6 and 16 bit applications RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi,

We have just download ACT V5.6 to discover and analyze our application in preperation for moving to Windows 7. We have found that the "Application Compatibility Manager" does not seem to work for 16 bit applications. The V5.5 kits does and I cannot find any mention in the release notes that any analysis of 16 bit apps is not possible with "Application Compatibility Manager". Currently the tool crashes.

Can somone confirm if this is a know issue or a drop of support and if there is any chance of a fix comming. We would like to use the V5.6 kit but not if it will cannot give us some visibility of 16 bits apps that we may still be running.

Regards

Andrew Stuckey

sábado, 3 de julho de 2010 01:05

Respostas

• 16 bit apps are supported in win 7, and no there will not any support for 16 bit apps coming for win 7,

with win 7  Pro and above you have XP mode to deal with some older programs.

sábado, 3 de julho de 2010 14:09
  • As I know, Windows 7 32 bit can run most of 16 bit applications in compatibility mode, but there is no guarantee. 16 bit applications can't be run on Windows 7 64 bit. If you have some 16 bit applications needed to run on Windows 7 32 bit, please try installing them in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode. If the applications can't be run, you can also try installing 16 bit applications in Windows XP mode.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    terça-feira, 6 de julho de 2010 02:40
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• 16 bit apps are supported in win 7, and no there will not any support for 16 bit apps coming for win 7,

with win 7  Pro and above you have XP mode to deal with some older programs.

sábado, 3 de julho de 2010 14:09
  • If this is an "Application Compatibility" tool and Windows 7 will not support 16 bit apps, why doesn't the tool report the app as "not supported" instead of crash or say nothing?

As this is exactly the issue I am trying to find across the organisation of many thousand apps, it would be nice if the interface could flag this as "not compatible". This would save lots of work which is what the tool is meant to do.

Can I please have conformation. Will 16 bit apps work on Windows 7 32 bit? I believe they will and it was just x64 that was the problem. While "support:" is an interesting word, any 16 bit app is probably not supported at this point of time. Will it work is the real question the customer cares about. If all 16 bits apps will not work, then if one is detected, this is something the tool needs to flag "loud and proud".

Regards

Andrew Stuckey

segunda-feira, 5 de julho de 2010 06:51
  • As I know, Windows 7 32 bit can run most of 16 bit applications in compatibility mode, but there is no guarantee. 16 bit applications can't be run on Windows 7 64 bit. If you have some 16 bit applications needed to run on Windows 7 32 bit, please try installing them in Windows 95/98 compatibility mode. If the applications can't be run, you can also try installing 16 bit applications in Windows XP mode.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    terça-feira, 6 de julho de 2010 02:40
    Moderador
  • Dale,

I don't think you understood the question Stuckeya asked ... he wants to know whether ACT 5.6 has a way to identify 16 bit apps once all the data is gathered and analyzed, none of the reports that one can generate can provide you with a combination of proper filters to pin point these ..... any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ed 

terça-feira, 16 de novembro de 2010 19:39
  • HI Andrew,

Did you ever get an answer on this , im heading down the same path and have been told its fine but after having just found this post uncertainty has set it .

Thanks

Matt

quarta-feira, 14 de dezembro de 2011 09:54
  • segunda-feira, 9 de janeiro de 2012 14:35