none
I accidentally long-pressed left mouse button while hovering over a folder symbol, a rotating magnifying glass appeared, didn't stop. RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi, this is Flo, and i am new here, and this is my first question.

Working on windows since 1990, and something like this never ever happend to me before while doing file operations:

Earlier today, when i used windows file-explorer to drag-and drop a file into a different (main)folder,

the plan was to drop the file into a different mainfolder's subfolder,

i, like usual, i kept hovering the dragged file above the new main-folder that was shown in the folder tree in left exporer panel,

to automatically letall  it's sub-folders tree pop up, to be able to drop the file somewhere in there ,

but didn't know that the new folder i wanted to move the file into did NOT contain any sub-folders!

So, the hovering above the folder for (sadly much longer than usual) with the still held left mouse button pressed,

caused a little magnfiying glass to appear and rotate and keep rotating above this other mainfolder, mouse cursor was exchanged for the rotating busy blue ring, and the whole explorer windows kinda greyed out, meaning it went totally unresponsible

I didn't know what i have done here, wanted to stop whatever happens on my PC now,

but pressing "esc"-key on keyboard didn't change anything,so i decided to close the unresponsible explorer windows instead, to bring up a new explorer window, but! in the new explorer window now EVERY single folder symbol showed a little rotating magnifying glass, which kept rotating and rotating and rotating, i dunno for how long, but it was such a frightening experience. The whole file explorer, full of those magnifying glasses!

When it finally stopped, i don't really know what happened, and this is frightening the XXXX out of me, cuz, as i said,

it's my backup drive where this happened, a fixed harddrive in my main PC.

Does anyone of the experts here know what i accidentally started here on my PC, only because there was no subfolder present in the folder i wanted to drag-and-drop my file into?

I googled almost 2 hours for am explanation, but not even in microsoft's webpages i could find ANY answers for this function of a long press of the left mouse button while hovering above a folder while a drag-and-drop file is hooked to the arrow.

What kind of file operation did i start with my long left mouse button press?

Grateful for ANY hint, thank you in advance for all your good practice here,

and kind regards from europe!

domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 08:10

Respostas

• Hi,

Have you shut down/power off your computer?
    If not, please do it, and then start/power on your computer and see how File Explorer works.

I suppose your operation (move or copy a file) did not completed, or nothing changed.
    So, compulsory shut down/power off would not affect.

cf. File/Windows Explorer is Shell (comparing with Kernel). So, when File/Windows Explorer hangs up, no user operation can be done. 

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

• Editado Ashidacchi domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 08:50
    • Marcado como Resposta No Advertisement quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 09:58
    domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 08:49

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

Have you shut down/power off your computer?
    If not, please do it, and then start/power on your computer and see how File Explorer works.

I suppose your operation (move or copy a file) did not completed, or nothing changed.
    So, compulsory shut down/power off would not affect.

cf. File/Windows Explorer is Shell (comparing with Kernel). So, when File/Windows Explorer hangs up, no user operation can be done. 

Regards,

• Editado Ashidacchi domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 08:50
    • Marcado como Resposta No Advertisement quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 09:58
    domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 08:49
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

thanks a lot for your reply!

after all my folders DID stopp showing this little rotating magnifying glass,

without any force qquitting, i just had to wait for a min or so.

And afterwards, my file explorer, after restarting it, worked just as expected, again.

Did a restart tho, everything continued working as expected.

I still don't know what happened, if this maybe is just a somehow undocumented mouse-klick feature,

and i don't dare to reproduce the whole operation as long as i don't know what it really did,

If it can even be reproduced.

I simply don't dare, seemed like maybe indexing all my harddisks?

Weird. 

I have to say, i never hovered above a folder that long before in my life, with a file that i wanted to move, hooked to the mouse cursor.

Ususally i know if the folder contains subfolders or not, as subfolders are indicated by a small, hollow grey triangle left side of regarding folders.

Sadly this time my mind was completely somewhere else, while i was doing those file operations,

and so i cannot even check what happened the file i wanted to move, as i cannot remember it anymore,

it was one of thousands i have move them one-by-one, inoto 100s of different folders.

Maybe i'll setup W7 Pro on my old spare laptop these days and dare to try to reproduce the seconds-long mouse button klick on empty folders while having a file hooked tot he cursor

Kid regards, Flo

• Editado KW2020 domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 10:29
    domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 10:26
  • Hi Flo,

Thank you for your explanation added.
    I'm glad to hear about your current situation.

BTW, I rarely use moused for move/copy operation, instead of keyboard. Because my old finger sometimes points where I don't intend. That leads me to move a file (files) to unexpected folder.
    With mouse, clicking a file (selected files) and [Ctrl]+[V] or [Ctrl]+[X], and select a target folder  is a safer way for me.

The combination of mouse and keyboard would make us happy.

Regards,

P.S.
    Sorry for my poor English. While switching between Japanese - English, my brain make many mistakes, as my hands also.
    • Editado Ashidacchi domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 11:19 add more, correct mistakes
    domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 10:42
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

again, thank you so much for your reply, containing a very useful tip,

like using keyboard for cutting/pasting!

My left hand is always in the right position,

yet still it never got me that i could use those easy keycombos for file operations too,

until now i only used'em for editing text, didn't even know that this would work too...

Great suggestion!

My old fingers behave similar too, from time to time, especially when in a need to get a lot of work done, and i can't afford too much time... so, i cincerely hope your's won't worsen...

you're such a kind and helpful guy!

Now, this really eases moving all those files a LOT now!

I wish you all the best, dear Ashidacchi,

kind regards to beautiful Japan!

domingo, 10 de novembro de 2019 11:04
  • Hi, 

If any reply is useful for you, please kindly mark it as answer. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

terça-feira, 12 de novembro de 2019 08:40
    Moderador