none
How do I get rid of collapsible groups within a folder? RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Today when I came into work my screen looks like this, where everything has been put into "collapsible groups" based on file type:

Whereas when I left work on Friday it looked like this, which is NORMAL:

How do I fix it?

• Editado juckto segunda-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2011 21:32
    segunda-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2011 21:30

Respostas

Todas as Respostas

• On your explorer menu, chose "View", "Group by", and set it back to option "None".
    segunda-feira, 12 de dezembro de 2011 21:41
  • Thank you soo much! It helped me so well :)
    sexta-feira, 28 de junho de 2013 11:23
  • This helps for the moment, but I have to do this in every folder on my system. Furthermore, it doesn't prevent the grouping to appear in open dialogues. I am absolutely disgusted by this grouping, and want to get rid of it permanently. Is there really no way to do that?
    terça-feira, 1 de abril de 2014 12:28
  • thanks! I was stuck on this issue for hours, cuz i just KNEW that something looked different about the windows explorer libraries today. It was annoying as hell, because I wasn't even sure how to describe it. Just that the title things were never there before, and I wanted them gone. anyway, thanks again. :)
    domingo, 27 de abril de 2014 06:05
  • Thank you so much!!!   Was a bummer!!
    quinta-feira, 2 de outubro de 2014 15:01
  • Does anybody know how to solve this exact same problem in WINDOWS 10??? 

The "none" option in the group by menu has been discontinued.

-XP Misser

sexta-feira, 12 de maio de 2017 22:14
  • Yes. Open the Folder. Go to View/Group By and click none. 

terça-feira, 20 de junho de 2017 02:47
  • Done thanks
    terça-feira, 19 de setembro de 2017 07:31
  • I am using windows 8.1. There is no "Group by" in View.

Thank you.

domingo, 4 de fevereiro de 2018 07:36
  • I said "I am using windows 8.1. There is no 'Group By' in View."

Never mind, I found it. Right click; it is not in "View".

Thanks.

domingo, 4 de fevereiro de 2018 07:43
  • The "none" option is not displayed at all.  This does not fix the issue on my machine.
    sexta-feira, 30 de novembro de 2018 17:59
  • thanks, why the fuck do they think messing with pre existing file systems is a good thing, its like there playing how do find the next thing to mess with people.
    sexta-feira, 14 de junho de 2019 13:35
  • I agree 100%.  Now I find that if I use the Open function in Word (365) my Downloads folder is grouped by Date.  Who the hell asked for that?  If I use File Explorer to view the folder it is not Grouped.  There is no way that I have found to ungroup the damn folder from the Word Open display.  I can choose Details, Icons, list, etc., but there is no way to ungroup.

If Microsoft is watching, please find the idiot who caused this and ban them from their safe place.

In the hunt

domingo, 30 de junho de 2019 14:32
  • This works when viewing the folder normally in Explorer, but when I go to save a download inside a browser - it's back to being grouped again and I don't get the View menu in that control.

I just want to easily see the sub folders of my downloads folder so I can save it in the right place, not just dump it anywhere like whoever these changes are aimed at.

quinta-feira, 4 de julho de 2019 19:10
  • I looked in so many places I don't remember where I found the solution yesterday or the day before.

When you get the screen with the grouped entries, right click in some white space within that dialog box. A selection box will open and Group is one of the choices.  Click to open the sub-selections of Group and then select None.  The order will revert to ungrouped. 

Hope this helps.

In the hunt

• Sugerido como Resposta AZMoosie2015 domingo, 7 de julho de 2019 16:10
    quinta-feira, 4 de julho de 2019 20:33
  • This is a total sham move by Microsoft, if I had wanted my items grouped together I would have done it already. Also the default sort by has been changed to date modified.

Yes this does fix it for individual folders, but they can and will revert to this default setting if desktop.ini for that folder gets moved or altered. No, this is not the best answer, as you have to do it on a "by folder" basis. Just like what MS learned with Windows 8, you cannot just change things around that users have used for years and not expect them to want to revert. 

Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to give their head a wobble. In no way is this preferable when dealing with a lot of content.
    domingo, 7 de julho de 2019 10:43
  • Does it piss me off that Microsoft seemingly changes things simply for the sake of change, or because some stoned developer thought it would be fun to screw with users?  Absolutely.  Rather than remaining pissed off while I'm working, I'd rather have a solution that mitigates the annoyance, even if I have to eventually make the change on other folders. 

The proposed answer works for me.  If others don't like it they are free to ignore it.  So far I have not had to redo the ungroup, and I'm less pissed off, at least for now.  Just sayin'

In the hunt

domingo, 7 de julho de 2019 16:17
  • Seen the date of the recent of reply's in this thread, i am not the only one who got seriously annoyed after recent windows 10 update. Microsoft decided to turn it on and every reboot its back again. Tried registry fix, no dice. Every single time i open downloads i need to turn that group by OFF.

I really don't get the clue of the function at all! you can sort by date, which makes the automatic group-by function totally redundant, useless, annoying. It makes is very hard to find anything. Especially when you search by NAME! 

sexta-feira, 12 de julho de 2019 17:27
  • You did it!  Right clicking on white space and selecting Group by/NONE was exactly what we all were looking for.  

Further, this selection survives all future 'file download/save as' scenarios.

Great job!

The mind is like a parachute, it works only when open.

sexta-feira, 16 de agosto de 2019 16:57
  • That would be nice if it worked permanently, but Windows keeps changing it back.

segunda-feira, 23 de setembro de 2019 18:29
  • Well, at least I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one so utterly fed up (trying to be polite here!) about how MS seem to think screwing with the UI is somehow cool and a good idea.

For anyone from the MS UI team... Things are usable if and when people know how to use them. They are NOT usable when they are unfamiliar and people don't know how to use them. Generally, 'screwing with the UI' leaves people unfamiliar and unsure how to do things. Worse, it results in them being unfamiliar and unsure in how to complete a task they previously could complete with ease. Just to ensure you understand that point... that is a VERY POOR UX.

So, for your next UI team get together, build one large slide and present it to everyone in the room, explaining that screwing with the UI and leaving users that could previously complete tasks with ease uncertain and unable to complete tasks, is a dismal UX and a complete and utter fail for the UI team.

Get them to think of it like this...

You take your car to the garage for a service. You come to collect it and the garage have decided to 'improve' your car and have changed all the switches and layout of the dashboard. What you used to push, you now have to pull, but if you pull and twist it does some new unexpected function. Bascially, everything has been 'streamlined' ... 'streamlined' into a layout and design that leaves you frustrated an unable to drive your car. Indeed, maybe your bought it because you particularly liked the old layout, and would certainly have grown used to it. Suddenly you are in this alien world wondering how the hell to switch on the lights/switch off the wipers/analogy of your choice.

Just stop doing it! Most of these 'improvements' make things worse ... like when I now go to save an Office doc I have to do through more clicks to actually select the location to save the doc as Office now thinks it's so ... clever it will try and make the location choice for me ... and guess what, it's wrong every time!

Is any of this sinking in and does anyone from MS UI ever look at this stuff, or are they all so full of their own greatness they think there's no need to actually consider what the poor suckers that actually have to live with their decisions think of their efforts?

domingo, 17 de novembro de 2019 12:41
  • "right click in some white space within that dialog box."

THANK YOU ! ! !    AZMoosie2105    THANK YOU ! ! !   

terça-feira, 19 de novembro de 2019 02:07