none
XP Mode - Could not Complete Setup. Please Try Again. RRS feed

• Pergunta

• I have been looking for a fix and havent quite found anything exactly that applies, but have tried many, many fixes for this, I even got it to work for about 30 minutes at one point earlier today.

Breakdown:

I have installed XP Mode and the Applicable "Step 2" Update and when I try to create an XP Mode Setup I get "Could not Complete Setup. Please Try Again."

System Info:
    7 Pro x64
    AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor @ 3.6GHz (Virtualization Enabled, Cool and Quiet Off)
    8GB Memory
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
    (Quick list, ask if more details are required)

Original Issue:
    Setup XP Mode, Setup Legacy Application, Linked to offboard Serial Card, Successfully got it to connect via Serial Redirection into the device at the other end of the cable, Ran great (Multiple Reboots, Updates, Setup, Etc) then came the dreaded Black Screen, Found lots of support for that issue after trying my hand at getting it working again including using another similar machine to make a replica of the Goal VM and having it consolidate the VHD so that I could bring it over to the other machine, and Nothing, Black Screen, Even after completely Removing all VMs (And their files) after of course attempting the VSV removal, Went a step further and removed all subfolders within: C:\Users\(User)\appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\ and remade the XP Mode Machine and then I started coming across the "Could not complete setup. Please Try again" error at the 100% mark on this machine. At one point I Did get it working on this machine and it was up and running and was looking like it was going to continue to work, until I did the first round of Updates, Then black screen, so I tried the Rince and repeat (Remove VSV after rebooting (which required hitting Force Restart)), removing all files and reattaching the VHD to a new virtual machine, Removing Virtual machines remaking XP Mode (Now I am on an endless loop of 100%="Could not Complete Setup. Please Try Again". As per several other threads on Various sites I have attempted Updates (Fully updated as of last 5 attempts), I have uninstalled and Reinstalled both "Xp Mode" and "Windows Virtual PC (KB958559)" several times, Sometimes just one, sometimes the other, and Combinations of Doing one at a time reboot then the other, then reboot, reinstall, reboot, reinstall and attempt to run XP Mode Setup (Automatically done after installer completes)

I have tried the "Clean Boot" approach as well, same results, with all other services disabled (Except Microsoft), No Start up items, This build of windows is maybe a month out of the gates since I Installed it and this is the first time anyone I work with or know have run into this bad of an issue with it. Like I said it was working great, and we have similar setups that have been running for a long long time without hiccups.

Excuse my lack of english at the current, it has been a long long day of fighting with this and some aged 03 std installs...

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 03:57

Respostas

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

It seems to be a problem with the “Bulldozer (microarchitecture)” processors.

We can install the following hotfix to fix this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519949.

Meanwhile, please make sure do not have any bootable CDs on the physical machine, while setting up XP Mode for first use.

For reference:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/933b7787-2bbb-43fe-8fe8-8239a682a8bf

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/02c9e716-9f46-4535-ad8c-68abba255c2d

• Editado Kim ZhouModerator terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 09:48
    • Marcado como Resposta mp3m4kr terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 20:42
    terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 09:47
    Moderador
  • Thanks for the suggestion, I saw mention of the Bulldozer issues, will try that Hotfix and retest, As for the Bootable CD issue I have checked with that as well and no CD is in the system at the time of the Install at any point.

Will give that hotfix a try and let you know, Thanks again

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 17:10
  • Hi,

It appears as if this will solve my Problems, Applied the HotFix from Above and Restarted, and the Virtual Machine booted, I am doing Updates on the XP Mode as we speak and fingers crossed might be the solution that I am looking for.

Thanks

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 19:31
  • Hi,

This solved it for me thus far, one round of updates completed and functioning well, Thanks will be sure to remember that for the future!
    terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 20:42
  • Kim - the hotfix was not available today when I tried to download.  I have same AMD processor and the same problem.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
    segunda-feira, 30 de julho de 2012 21:28
  • Try it again. I was able to go to the link and get to the download section for the hotfix.
    terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2012 00:49
  • 4th time was the charm.  I was able to download last night. XP Mode installed normally afterwards. Thanks
    terça-feira, 31 de julho de 2012 11:55
  • This so called hotfix is for a program called windows OPK, which I cannot install on my system. I have windows 7 x64 Pro, and an FX 4100 processor.  When I tried to do so, windows would not even start and I had to remove it. Had I known about this, I would have never installed an FX processor. I REALLY wish either microsoft or AMD would do SOMETHING about this or tell people up front NOT to buy an FX processor if they want to use virtual PC. 
    quarta-feira, 27 de março de 2013 02:08
  • Well people. I am having this same issue, "Could not Complete Setup. Please Try Again." the AMD hotfix appears to do nothing for me.

Here is my system info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/20/10 09:47:36 Ver: 08.00.10
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor            (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16328MB RAM
    Page File: 2874MB used, 29780MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

What I have done so far:

• repair install of win 7 pro x64
    • updates are up to date
    • bios is up to date
    • bios vitualization is set to "Enabled"
    • tested my computer to ensure virtualization works on my computer, it does (Using the Windows Virtualization tester)
    • clean boot as directed
    • AMD Bulldozer Hotfix as directed (I did it twice to be sure.)
    • attempted disabling multiple programs that may or may not conflict with the install
    • multiple install attempts, it does not work yet

I have received a few error messages in the Event Viewer during the primary setup process:

EventID: 10 - Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

EventID: 27 - Intel(R) 82583V Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected.

EventID: 1014 - Name resolution for the name teredo.ipv6.microsoft.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

EventID: 87 - Windows XP Mode' was turned off without hibernating state.

I would deeply appreciate any help I could get to resolve this issue. I have multiple programs that require windows virtual xp to run. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sexta-feira, 29 de março de 2013 16:32
  • This so called hotfix is for a program called windows OPK, which I cannot install on my system. I have windows 7 x64 Pro, and an FX 4100 processor.  When I tried to do so, windows would not even start and I had to remove it. Had I known about this, I would have never installed an FX processor. I REALLY wish either microsoft or AMD would do SOMETHING about this or tell people up front NOT to buy an FX processor if they want to use virtual PC. 

No, you don't need to use those directions.  Just unzip and double-click the MSU installer.

The OPK instructions are only for an OEM installing it into an image for deploying to PCs at build time.

sexta-feira, 29 de março de 2013 17:42
  • Can you give the sfc /scannow from a cmd prompt a try and then run the installer?
    sexta-feira, 29 de março de 2013 17:43
  • No, you don't need to use those directions.  Just unzip and double-click the MSU installer.

The OPK instructions are only for an OEM installing it into an image for deploying to PCs at build time.

Steve, believe it or not, this was my issue. I followed the official windows hotfix instructions which instructs you to manually apply the hotfix through the Windows OPK. So I followed your advice in the above quote (Double click on the msu installer), guess what, everything works!!

Thank you Steve, you just made my day.

sábado, 30 de março de 2013 02:51
  • Ok so how can i get the Windows OPK?
    sexta-feira, 3 de maio de 2013 01:14
  • Ok so how can i get the Windows OPK?

You don't need it. All you need is the "Hot Fix 2519949".

A lot of new computers come with Windows partially installed. The OPK is for an OEM who needs  to configure the Windows 7 installation to automatically integrate the "Hot Fix 2519949" into it. When the end user first starts this computer Windows will complete the installation with part of the process being to automatically apply "Hot Fix 2519949".

I  upgraded to an AMD FX-8350 last week. I just installed the Hot Fix an hour ago. Windows XP Mode installed and runs fine now.

Here is what I did:

1. Uninstall previous failed install of XP Mode
    2. Install "Hot Fix 2519949"
    3. Reboot
    4. Log in again
    5. Reinstall XP Mode

Important: If step 1 is skipped, Windows 7 will blue screen after step 4!

terça-feira, 7 de maio de 2013 21:45
  • good morning
    use Windows XP virtual to four years on windows 7 pro and cpu AMD Athol II X2 250 3:00 GHz.
    It was working properly
    since I started to update the PC via windows update, the virtual machine stopped working: does not start.
    I have tried reinstalling xp mode and a new virtual machine, but not working.
    It stops at the end with the message "XP Mode - Could not Complete Setup. Please Try Again."
    I tried this fix, but did not solve the problem.
    is there any other solution to solve the problem?
    Thank you for availability
    quinta-feira, 19 de novembro de 2015 09:40
  • This fixed me right up!
    sexta-feira, 6 de janeiro de 2017 18:17
  • Hi,

I came across this thread while searching for an answer to this problem.  While the information here helped me resolve the problem (thank you!), I have several pieces of additional information that I was unaware of in advance that may help others who also find this thread.

First of all, the patch (what is being called a "hotfix") mentioned in this thread fixes the same problem in an AMD "piledriver", not just "bulldozer".  I have an AMD FX 6300, and found a web site that says it is a piledriver.  Another post asked if the issue might be resolved by the same patch when it is a piledriver.  The answer is yes, it does, at least for my CPU.

I was concerned about installing this, as I did not want to harm my OS install by installing an incompatible patch.  The web site for the patch has warnings about not installing it if you don't need it.  In fact, you have to enter your email address to even get the link, then the email has more warnings about it.  So I was concerned.

Further, it turns out that there IS an unistall, although the patch worked so I haven't tried it.  But I didn't know that to start with.  The email was totally unclear if the "hotfix" had an uninstall, and it said to backup your OS.  However, there was NO information about what files to actually back up, so that particular advise was fairly unhelpful (given that expecting me to copy the huge number of scattered OS-related files seemed a little unreasonable).  However, I did dig into the install file to try to figure out what it modified, but it had a LOT of files, most of which didn't correspond to existing files and many which appeared to contain information related to the install process itself, perhaps some registry modifications, so I backed up the registry.  One of them WAS an existing system file which occured in 3 different places in the windows dir, so I backed those files up (can't remember the name, off-hand, and I'm away from that machine right now).  But as it turns out, none of that mattered because the uninstall did exist and the patch worked for me so I didn't have to use it, anyway.

quarta-feira, 26 de abril de 2017 09:06
  • I also came across this thread while searching for an answer to this problem, in fact the the exact same problem as ag87-2: I also have an AMD FX 6300. Unfortunately, the hotfix is no longer available on the MS website; MS simply suggest going to Windows 10, which is of no help as the programs I wish to run will only work in XP. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Hot Fix 2519949? Does ag87-2 still have a copy?
    domingo, 3 de março de 2019 14:09
  • The hotfix (Windows6.1-KB2519949-x64.msu) worked for me (AMD "Piledriver" FX-8350 eight-core).

I found a copy at http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=14591

quarta-feira, 17 de julho de 2019 01:52