none
rdp files will not open Remote Desktop client (mstsc.exe) on Windows 10 1607 RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi all,

did a clean Windows 10 1607 install from ISO. No I face the problem, that rdp files will not open up RemoteDesktop anymore.

mstsc.exe is spawned and closes without opening a window.

Running mstsc without params works without problems.

Its just inconvenient when downloading rdp files for Azure machines or using the Jump List which does not work as well.

When I create a new user account on my machine, I can open rdp files as long as that user is *not* a member of the Administrators group. As soon as I give the account admin rights it cannot open rdp files as well.

Any ideas?
    Does anybody see the same thing?

-- SvenC

segunda-feira, 15 de agosto de 2016 11:35

Respostas

• Release Preview 14393.103 has fixed this for me.

Thank you!

-- SvenC

sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 05:18
  • Hi SvenC,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved by system update. Thanks for your sharing, i will introduce this experience to other forum users who face the same condition. Please mark your reply to close this case

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marcado como Resposta EinmalIM sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 08:23
    sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 08:21
    Moderador

Todas as Respostas

• Do files you create in 1607 open ok? I have saved settings and they open the server as expected. If you edit the files and re-save them does that help?
    • Editado -Mr Happy- segunda-feira, 15 de agosto de 2016 21:38
    segunda-feira, 15 de agosto de 2016 21:38
  • Just created a new rdp file: makes no difference.

So on your 1607 an admin user can open rdp files, right?

-- SvenC

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 05:10
  • Hello,

it seems all the command-line options are ignored since this Windows 10 Build(1607).

I guess or hope it is a bug, because we use different command line switches in our company as well as rdp files which allso do not work.

As an example "mstsc.exe /?" should open a window which shows the command line switches, but in this build it does nothing.

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 08:03
  • Hello,

it seems all the command-line options are ignored since this Windows 10 Build(1607).

I guess or hope it is a bug, because we use different command line switches in our company as well as rdp files which allso do not work.

As an example "mstsc.exe /?" should open a window which shows the command line switches, but in this build it does nothing.

Thank you for sharing that I am not alone. Was close to reinstall again which costs quite some time until all my dev stuff is installed again.

@Microsoft: any hint on a fix?

-- SvenC

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 08:06
  • Hello Sven

I found also this posting here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/...

And the hint with display scale factor solves the problem, but with a scale factor of 150% I cannot efficiently use my PC. So I think we have to wait for a bug fix.

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 16:09
  • Hello Sven

And the hint with display scale factor solves the problem, but with a scale factor of 150% I cannot efficiently use my PC. So I think we have to wait for a bug fix.

The link also mentions clean installed do not have this issue. I was testing on clean installs and it works fine, can use switches or open rdp files. Upgraded machine did not.
    terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 18:03
  • Hello Sven

The link also mentions clean installed do not have this issue. I was testing on clean installs and it works fine, can use switches or open rdp files. Upgraded machine did not.
    My machine was a fresh install from ISO, not an upgrade. Does you fresh install use a custom scale factor?

-- SvenC

terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 18:05
  • My machine was a fresh install from ISO, not an upgrade. Does you fresh install use a custom scale factor?

-- SvenC

Just tried again on Enterprise and Pro with a custom scale factor set and working at 125% and still mtstc with switches and rdp files work for me. Both Hyper-V guests, Enterprise is Eval media and the Pro is from the Media Creation Tool.
    terça-feira, 16 de agosto de 2016 18:35
  • My machine was a fresh install from ISO, not an upgrade. Does you fresh install use a custom scale factor?

-- SvenC

Just tried again on Enterprise and Pro with a custom scale factor set and working at 125% and still mtstc with switches and rdp files work for me. Both Hyper-V guests, Enterprise is Eval media and the Pro is from the Media Creation Tool.

I use a tool called "Windows10 DPI Fix" which allows me to reactivate Win8 DPI scaling. Win10 DPI scaling makes almost all applications blurry. I need to go to each and every .exe file and set its compatibility to "not use high dpi scaling" (http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/).

Some exes like mmc.exe do not allow this modification, so event viewer and service manager always look blurry. The old scaling algorithm just uses different font sizes and leaves everything crisp. With 125% DPI this works perfectly for me.

When I switch back to Win10 DPI scaling the rdp files start to work but I cannot stand the blurry apps.

Would be nice to toggle that: get a global setting to disable HiDPI scaling by default and enable it per app if needed.

-- SvenC

quarta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2016 05:36
  • In my case it is an upgraded Windows 10(1607), I upgraded from version 1511 which worked fine before.

My display scale factor was set to 125%(recommended), which does not work with rdp files.(also 100% does not work)

But 150% works fine with rdp files in my case.

I also tried to login as a domain admin(which was never logged on to this PC before), and for this user at the beginning it just worked fine with the default scale setting 125%. But after playing around with scale setting and logoff/logon/reboot, it is also not working anymore.  Now it behaves in the same way as the normal user, just with >=150% scale setting.

Just for testing, I also removed the normal users registry file(ntuser.dat). So windows logged on the user via a temp profile, and then it was also working with the standard scale of 125%.

quarta-feira, 17 de agosto de 2016 07:39
  • Release Preview 14393.103 has fixed this for me.

Thank you!

-- SvenC

sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 05:18
  • Hi SvenC,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved by system update. Thanks for your sharing, i will introduce this experience to other forum users who face the same condition. Please mark your reply to close this case

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marcado como Resposta EinmalIM sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 08:23
    sexta-feira, 26 de agosto de 2016 08:21
    Moderador