none
Exchange 2019 metacache setup issue RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi

We have a DAG of four servers each hosting 9 live DBs and passive copies for each of the other servers. Each server has 3 SSDs specifically for MCDB. The command to configure MCDB on server completed successfully on all servers and reported 'successfully completed MCDB setup for <database> on server <server>'. However the MCDB is only showing 'healthy' for the original 9 DBs for the first server. Each server show storage offline and that the mount points have not been created for their respective DBs. To set this up does it require the databases to all be mounted on server one when the initial configuration is run? Or is there a way to create the mount points for each of the remaining servers?

Thanks

Ian

quarta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2019 10:54

Todas as Respostas

• Hi Ian,

Per my knowledge, this seems to be by design. Details see:

MetaCacheDatabase (MCDB) setup

Quote:

After performing the previous three steps (configuring ConfigureMCDBPrerequisiteServerAllowMCDB, and ConfigureMCDBOnServer), the MCDB state will display as Storage Offline. This means that the environment is prepared and ready for MCDB instances to be created and populated. The next fail over of the database instance will cause the creation of the MCDB instance and enable acceleration. The instances will transition through the health states shown in MCDB health states.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

quinta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2019 08:00
    Moderador
  • Hi

I have failed the databases over and the storage status has not changed.

Rgds

Ian

quinta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2019 10:23
  • Hi Ian,

Have you referred to the article i provided above to setup MCDB correctly ?

How did you fail the database over ? 

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

segunda-feira, 2 de setembro de 2019 09:42
    Moderador
  • yes I followed that article, and the commands returned 'successfully created' as I stated in my original question. I used move-activemailboxdatabase to fail the server over. I also tried restarting one of the node s as well.
    segunda-feira, 2 de setembro de 2019 11:48
  • So, in case anyone else ends up here with the same issue I'll detail my findings so far based on our setup.

"We have a DAG of four servers each hosting 9 live DBs and passive copies for each of the other servers. Each server has 3 SSDs specifically for MCDB. The command to configure MCDB on server completed successfully on all servers and reported 'successfully completed MCDB setup for <database> on server <server>'. However the MCDB is only showing 'healthy' for the original 9 DBs for the first server. Each server show storage offline and that the mount points have not been created for their respective DBs"

The initial server created and enabled the MCDB fine. Failing the databases over using the 'normal' methods: ie move-activemailboxdatabasecopy will not initialise the MCDB even if the manage-mcbd commands indicate that the setup completed successfully. The only way to initialise the rest of the servers is to use manage-mcdb with the -forcefailover.

Currently we still have one server not fully initialised, I hope I will be able to rectify this. Currently I think that this process is not adequately documented and needs rectifying.

Also note that the syntax of the command in the documents is incorrect:- you have to use 

Manage-MCDB -DagName TestDag1 -ServerAllowMCDB:$true

segunda-feira, 9 de setembro de 2019 08:45