none
Server 2012R2 Failing to install Windows Updates RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi there,

Our Windows Server 2012 appears to be plagued with problems in terms of installing its Windows Updates.

We are running Windows Server 2012 R2 Version 6.3 (Build 9600).

The server obtains it's updates from a separate WSUS server.

I am finding that almost all updates keep failing.

I have tried the Reset Windows Update Agent Tool, which has not helped. 

I have also tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter which says: "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting".

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do next as this is becoming a real cause for concern.

Thanks in advance.

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 15:15

Todas as Respostas

• For WSUS issues I'd reach out to experts in dedicated forum over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverwsus

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 15:19
  • Hi

Try to use the DISM tool and System File Checker:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
    • Type CMD and hit Enter
    • If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    • Type or copy paste the below command lines one by one into it and hit Enter key:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter. Reboot your system to see if problem still occurs.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

sexta-feira, 15 de novembro de 2019 02:19
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 18 de novembro de 2019 02:09
  • Thanks everyone, I am quite sure this is not a WSUS related issue as I have other Windows Server 2012 systems on the same network, getting the same WSUS updates and they are not having this problem.

I followed through your steps and this is what I got...

I have retained both logs if you would like to look at them. Not too sure how I can share them though as there is no way via this post. 

terça-feira, 19 de novembro de 2019 14:47
  • Hi,

>>"Error: 0x800f0906 The source files could not be dowmload"

Here are some solutions to fix the error, you could refer to it:
    https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dism-error-0x800f0906-the-source-file-could-not-be-downloaded/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Besides, if above solutions are not work and you want to share your logs, according to the forum's security policy, please understand that we do not provide analysis of dump/log files. For root case analysis or specific log diagnose, you may need to create a support request:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hub/4343728/support-for-business

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki

quarta-feira, 20 de novembro de 2019 02:04
  • Thanks,

I went to the site followed through to point four where you need to do: You will see a search box in the top right corner, type KB3022345 to find the update with less effort.

The update is not there.

I went to the second link you suggested, after filling out all of the info, it tells me I need to pay either £398 for single incident suport or £199 for business hours support.

We are a UK School. Surely this sort of support is included with Microsoft for free given the amount of effort they are putting in to getting schools to use Microsoft and embrace their technologies. 

quarta-feira, 20 de novembro de 2019 10:20
  • Hi,

Have you try the other solutions in the above link?

Please run a system file check(SFC) & DISM. More specific details you could refer to the following link:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

We can try everything we can do firstly. If it still doesn't work, then you can only open a case for the engineer to help you analyze your log files to help solve the problem more efficiently.

Besides, if you want to enjoy the service, you need follow the rules.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day^_^

Best Regards,

Kiki

quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2019 06:09
  • Here is the result of the SFC. I ran it three times as the document suggested and got the same result every time...

This is the result of the DSIM scans...

quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2019 15:50
  • source files could not be downloaded

Looks to be an internet connectivity problem.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2019 15:59
  • source files could not be downloaded

Looks to be an internet connectivity problem.

Thanks for the post, have checked the internet connectivity, and all seems good. Have done various pings, all going through fine. 

We do have a school firewall, but I doubt it would be blocking anything Microsoft specific. 

quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2019 16:24
  • Might also try a repair installation by running setup.exe from the root of the installation media, or the better / cleaner / safer option is stand up a new one, patch it fully and migrate the roles or applications over to it.

quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2019 16:28