none
All Shared printers (Ricoh, HP, Xerox) from Windows Server 2012 R2 goes offline on all computers (Win7/8/10) RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Dear All,

We have several shared printers on our windows server 2012R2. It was working fine so far but recently since last few weeks all of a sudden, all printers appear offline on the user's computers. We have windows 7/8/8.1 and 10. All the printers show offline on all the computers (200+).

Tried installing all the available updates on the server but the issue still persisted.

On some users computers, we installed the printers manually and some were installed with Group policy. The problem affects all the users and all the printers. We are using Ricoh Universal print driver, HP Plotter driver and Xerox model specific driver.

The only solution so far is to restart the spooler service on the server, after which all the printers appear online.

Right now a windows task scheduler has been created to restart the service every 30 mins but the issue is still sometimes encountered just after 10 minutes of service restart. Attaching the installed updated on the server.

Requesting assistance if anyone has encountered anything similar.

By the way all the available windows updates have been installed on the server but the issue still persists.

@Alan Morris  - I read your answer about the security tokens for a question (link below) but how do we fix such a problem. We are using Equitrac. Does that affect Windows Print spooler in any way ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a67e1a21-186c-4651-8144-5079a68d59d3/print-server-windows-server-2012-r2-shows-printers-offline?forum=winserverprint

segunda-feira, 4 de novembro de 2019 06:22

Todas as Respostas

• HI
    there is a document for your reference.
    A network printer is displayed incorrectly as offline on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/2713128/a-network-printer-is-displayed-incorrectly-as-offline-on-a-computer-th

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

terça-feira, 5 de novembro de 2019 02:08
    Moderador
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2019 10:06
    Moderador
  • Thanks Andy for the response. 

The problem still persists. I checked the link that you shared only applied to server 2008R2 and windows 7. While the current issue is with windows server 2012R2.

When the printers go offline I tried to print and got an error "RPC server is unavailable".

How do i confirm that the issue is related to RPC? Can i get anything from the event viewer to confirm it?

All services are running RPC, netbios, DCOM and others which i found related to RPC.

Also it is a mystery for me about what happens after restarting the print spooler which solves the issue and brings all shared printer back online.

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 07:09
  • Hi Ankit,

Sorry I missed this previously.

The printers going offline on ALL machines sounds like the print system is failing on the print server.

For the issues I have experienced previously a spooler restart on the client system initializes the connection and the security token.

Are there any spooler crash dumps in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue folder?  It's a hidden system folder but the folder is on the print server.

Look for directories with spoolsv in the name.  I can take a look at any hdmp files if they exist.  The report.wer file is a text based file so you can open in notepad.

If the connection gets reset when starting the client spooler, then the issue is due to the client spooler.

I do not think Equitrac is the source of the issue.

Thanks

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 16:34
    Usuário que responde
  • HI
    How do i confirm that the issue is related to RPC? Can i get anything from the event viewer to confirm it?
    when the problem happened ,are there any event log in below location on w2012r2?
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    when the issue happen again check if the needs port of the print spooler and RPC are opened ?
    36 Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    34. Print Spooler
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/832017/service-overview-and-network-port-requirements-for-windows

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

terça-feira, 19 de novembro de 2019 08:33
    Moderador