none
Install & Configure windows 2019 Print server for SUSE Linux RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Hi

I have a requirement where i need to deploy windows printer server  but print will be initiated from SUSE Linux systems

basically i need to configure windows print server for Linux print queue.

i dont know which one to choose and configure SMB, LPD, IPP

Ragav

terça-feira, 5 de novembro de 2019 07:34

Respostas

• I am guessing you installed Windows LPD, install the LPR port feature on a Windows 10 client system.  This will get you the Windows lpq command.

Execute

lpq -S printerservername -P printsharename

Notes to make this easier: do NOT have spaces in share names, do NOT use print drivers included in Windows since Linux does not support the spool file format needed.

Stick with the LPD service on Windows.  I have a free one for you too if you do not wish to use the deprecated service.

Thanks

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 16:41
    Usuário que responde

Todas as Respostas

• Hi,

Configure Windows Print Server, we can use Windows based client to test its function. Then, for Linux client, we may need CUPS in order to communicate with Windows Print Server.

Linux printing via the Windows Print Server:
    https://www.printmanager.com/cms.php?aid=82&fullpage=1&support=8

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

quarta-feira, 6 de novembro de 2019 06:39
    Moderador
  • I have already gone through above link yes i have configured network printer on SUSE linux i.e. Pointing my linux VM to Windows print server

below is the command i have used in linux to configure n/w printer , do i need to configure anything further here

Also how to see windows share name on win 2019 print server

lpadmin -p ps -v socket://<WinPrintSvr>:<445> -P /usr/share/cups/model/Postscript-level1.ppd.gz -E

when i issue print command ,below is the output

Linux Print Command = lp -d ps PrintonDevECC.txt

#Output below, show job id or queue

request id is ps-1 (1 file(s))

# when i check queue status , i get error

lpq: Error - no default destination available.

# to check printer status lpstat -p  -d
    printer ps is idle.  enabled since Tue Nov  5 15:51:22 2019
            Waiting for printer to finish.
    no system default destination

Ragav

quarta-feira, 6 de novembro de 2019 08:11
  • Hi,

Detail configuration on Linux is beyond the support scope on this forum as it is a third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. 

Thank you for your understanding. If you have more question about Windows Printer Server, you may post here. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

segunda-feira, 11 de novembro de 2019 08:34
    Moderador
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 01:31
    Moderador
  • I am guessing you installed Windows LPD, install the LPR port feature on a Windows 10 client system.  This will get you the Windows lpq command.

Execute

lpq -S printerservername -P printsharename

Notes to make this easier: do NOT have spaces in share names, do NOT use print drivers included in Windows since Linux does not support the spool file format needed.

Stick with the LPD service on Windows.  I have a free one for you too if you do not wish to use the deprecated service.

Thanks

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2019 16:41
    Usuário que responde