none
Windows 8.1 File Explorer unexpectedly closes when on a network drive. RRS feed

• Pergunta

• Ever since upgrading to Windows 8.1 (with and without Update 1) from Windows 8, the File Explorer has new quirk in its behavior that drives me crazy. My computer is on a domain and has a mixture of DFS drives and the older network drives mounted to drive letters. Whenever I leave File Explorer showing either a DFS or network drive, after a few minutes of inactivity, it will close. I then have to reopen it and find the folder again. If I switch away from the File Explorer to go to something else, many times when I go to switch back to File Explorer only to find it has closed. This is really annoying. No error message, it just closes. The computers with Windows 7 and older don't do this. And Windows 8 did not do this. Both my desktop computer and my Surface Pro, both 8.1 Update 1 do this. My servers are Windows 2008 R2.

Is there any reason for this? Or is there any registry hack or setting that controls this behavior?

Thanks, Carl

quinta-feira, 24 de abril de 2014 16:04

Respostas

• We already use GPO, but from what you say, it may be worthwhile to check if we have any manually applied drive mapping. I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Carl

Please check if your GPO drive mapping is set to "Replace". If so try changing it to Update?
    • Marcado como Resposta Carl Mudryk quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2014 18:22
    quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2014 07:38

Todas as Respostas

• Is there anything logged in the Event Viewer Application log involving explorer.exe that would have been logged around the times of the issue?
    sexta-feira, 25 de abril de 2014 01:49
  • Hi,

It seems that the issue is explorer.exe crashing. Since the issue can always be caused by incompatible shell extension or driver conflict.

We can first use shellexView to disable non-Microsoft related extensions of Windows Explorer to see what’s going on:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip 

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2.  Extract "shexview.zip" file and open shexview.exe. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, then test the issue in Clean Boot and Safe Mode, and let me know the results.

Meanwhile, please configure Windows to create user-mode dumps. Create a System Restore Point first.

If you copy and paste the following in Notepad and save as a .reg file, then right-click the .reg file and select "Merge" to add to the registry, a .dmp file at the time explorer.exe crashes should be created in the C:\CrashDumps folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\explorer.exe]

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):43,00,3a,00,5c,00,43,00,72,00,61,00,73,00,68,00,44,00,75,\

00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

After Explorer (explorer.exe) crashes, can you then make the .dmp file available (provide link) via Windows Live SkyDrive or similar site?

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

sexta-feira, 25 de abril de 2014 09:47
    Proprietário
  • Thanks, I never even thought of doing that. So I did check, but there is nothing obvious that clearly says File Explorer. There were a few vague, items from Schannel, A fatal alert was received from the remote endpoint. The TLS protocol defined fatal alert code is 40.

But, it is not consistent.

sexta-feira, 25 de abril de 2014 13:19
  • Hi Kate,

Thanks for that info. I will try that and let you know.

sexta-feira, 25 de abril de 2014 13:20
  • Hi,

Any update?

Have you tried above suggestions to check your issue?

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

terça-feira, 6 de maio de 2014 01:39
    Proprietário
  • Hi!

I have exact the same problem with a fresh Win 8.1.1 install. No hints in Event Log or errors shown.  

Any news how to solve this?

Thanks, Christian

terça-feira, 8 de julho de 2014 19:38
  • Hi Christian,

I tried disabling all the extensions  with ShellExView v1.41 as suggested, with no success. I still need to do the memory dump, but I haven't had the chance yet as this is a production machine. I'm going to try it in the next few days and will let you know if I discover anything.

quarta-feira, 9 de julho de 2014 16:53
  • I've got the same issue at 2 virtual RDS servers at two different customers (Windows 2012 R2 Std). A few times a day the file explorer just suddenly closes without any notification.

Any update on this?

Thanks,
    Robbert

terça-feira, 22 de julho de 2014 14:47
  • Hi Kate,

Sorry for not following up on this sooner, but work kept getting in the way. I've tried steps 1 through 5 with no difference. I tried booting into Safe Mode with Network, but it appeared that the network was disabled so I could not test it. I updated my Registry as shown and the File Explorer has closed twice since then but there is still no folder called C:\CrashDumps. I did a search and found one crash dump file from today in the App Data folder, WWAHost.exe.7848.dmp, but that's all.

Not sure what to try next.

Carl

terça-feira, 22 de julho de 2014 21:29
  • I've got the same issue at 2 virtual RDS servers at two different customers (Windows 2012 R2 Std). A few times a day the file explorer just suddenly closes without any notification.

Any update on this?

Thanks,
    Robbert

We also expirence this with a customers RDS 2012 R2. Any updates?
    sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2014 09:24
  • Update on my site: It really happens only when the selected drive / folder (in the navigation left) is a network share.

When I select e.g. my c:-drive, then the explorer doesn’t close! I have tried this with two instances on my second screen. One had the c:-drive selected, the other one a mapped network share. After a while the one with the mapped network share closed without interaction.

So maybe this helps to find the problem.

sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2014 10:24
  • Update on my site: It really happens only when the selected drive / folder (in the navigation left) is a network share.

When I select e.g. my c:-drive, then the explorer doesn’t close! I have tried this with two instances on my second screen. One had the c:-drive selected, the other one a mapped network share. After a while the one with the mapped network share closed without interaction.

So maybe this helps to find the problem.

Same thing here. Only network drives are affected. Local drives are left open.
    sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2014 10:38
  • After another test it seems that only network drives are affected. If i browse to the same folder \\server\folder as the drive is connected to it seems to beeing kept open? Can anyone confirm that?

The customer where mapping drives through GPO with the replace action. I have tried to change them to update instead to see if it makes any difference.
    sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2014 11:29
  • I confirm here that when you navigate via \\server\folder it appears to not have this issue and stays open. So, this would seem to indicate that it's a problem when using drive letters.

Carl

sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2014 15:51
  • So, I finally had this happen while I was watching. In fact, I had just clicked on a folder in a network drive and clicked the Delete button. The Delete dialog popped up but, at the same time the File Explorer window closed behind it. I proceeded to delete the folder, but then had to reopen the File Explorer. So, I really don't think this is a timeout issue as I had thought before. Unfortunately, not much else to go on.

Carl

terça-feira, 2 de setembro de 2014 15:37
  • After another test it seems that only network drives are affected. If i browse to the same folder \\server\folder as the drive is connected to it seems to beeing kept open? Can anyone confirm that?

The customer where mapping drives through GPO with the replace action. I have tried to change them to update instead to see if it makes any difference.
    It has been over a week now and no one has complained about it. So i think that maybe the reconfiguration of the drive mapping GPO did the trick.
    quarta-feira, 3 de setembro de 2014 07:33
  • We already use GPO, but from what you say, it may be worthwhile to check if we have any manually applied drive mapping. I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Carl

quarta-feira, 3 de setembro de 2014 14:19

Thanks, Carl

Please check if your GPO drive mapping is set to "Replace". If so try changing it to Update?
    • Marcado como Resposta Carl Mudryk quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2014 18:22
    quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2014 07:38

Thanks, Carl

I checked and all my GPO drive mappings were set as "Replace". I've changed them to "Update" and it appears to have fixed the issue. My computer has gone all day without the problem. I'm going to call this one answered. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Carl

quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2014 18:22
  • Hi!

I can confirm, that with changing the GPO to "Update" the problem went away.

CU

Xian

sexta-feira, 12 de setembro de 2014 09:16

Thanks, Carl

Thank you. I t worked for us. Once we changed the GPO GPP drive mapping form Replace to Update the issue was solved and user's Windows Explorer stopped crashing while connected to one of the shared drives ont he network.

_nick_damas

sexta-feira, 27 de maio de 2016 18:07
  • Im trying to findo GPO in my system (windows 8.1) but its not showing.

Where I find it? 

I already desactived UAC

domingo, 19 de março de 2017 17:58
  • I'm no longer running Windows 8.1, but it should be in the Administrative Tools group on the Start menu. It's called something like Local Group Policy Editor. Failing that, do a Search from the Start menu for 'edit group policy'.
    segunda-feira, 20 de março de 2017 15:09
  • I have the same issue w/o any networked drives, for a few days now, but I do get #1000 app errors.

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.3.9600.18460, time stamp: 0x57c1b8c1
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000010050fd8
    Faulting process id: 0x868
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e305de00aa4f
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report Id: b210e16b-4fe7-11e7-805f-002618a76539
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

...followed by a # 1001 then a # 1002 then another # 1001 all in the same 1/10 second.

I also notice explorer keeps popping to front w/o interaction while using other apps.

Any clues on this variation?

terça-feira, 13 de junho de 2017 03:48
  • Only on Windows 8.1 and later, during a background GPO refresh, Drive Mapping Preferences are applied.  Replace option on the mapping will un-map your drive mapping (even if it's same path) then map it again.  Any Explorer windows open for that drive will close during the un-map.

Windows 7 didn't do this.

segunda-feira, 23 de setembro de 2019 09:18