none
Restore Public Desktop RRS feed

• Pergunta

• I have a problem in a lab on Dell Optiplex 745 computers.  In this lab, there are 29 computers originally running Vista SP2.  I cloned all 29 computers to Windows 7 Professional SP1.   After I cloned these computers, I discovered on 15 of them, the Public Desktop folder is missing.  All of the other Public folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc...) are visible.  This is happening to all profiles (Admin, teacher, student) accounts.  It doesn't matter who is logged on to any of the 15 computers. This is NOT a single profile corruption issue.

I have Show Hidden files, folder, drives, and I unchecked the 3 Hide..... boxes.  It doesn't restore the Public Desktop Folder. 

I have tried RESTORE REG file.  Nothing.

I have tried to search for Public Desktop folder. Nothing.

I have restarting the computer.

I am performing ALL of these tests under an admin account.   Since there is student files on these 15 computers, I cannot re-clone these computers nor can I perform a repair on these computers.  I don't want to risk the loss of data.   There has to be way to restore the Public Desktop folder WITHOUT cloning or repairing these computers.

quinta-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2012 13:16

Respostas

Todas as Respostas

• I have tried to logon to one of these computers as LOCAL ADMIN to fix the problem.  Also, I have tried Administrator account to fix the problem.  Logged on as either of these accounts help to fix the problem.  

I need to restore the original DEFAULT Public Desktop folder to C:\USERS\PUBLIC.  Creating a new folder and calling it Public Desktop doesn't solve the problem.  How I know this I tried putting a folder in this newly created Public Desktop folder and it didn't appear on my desktop.  This is how I know that just creating a simple folder doesn't work.

quinta-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2012 13:57
  • Anyone?? Come on fellow tech people. I am the only person in these Forums that encounter this problem? Perhaps, I asked this question in the wrong area? If the post needs to be moved then someone move it to the correct place.
    quinta-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2012 17:12
  • Simply manually create the folders if need be or go to C;\Users\Public.

Hope this helps.

Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Vote me as helpful if i was helpful. It's benefical to others.

segunda-feira, 31 de dezembro de 2012 21:54
  • Nope, I have tried that little trick.  It doesn't work.  Since I am not getting any help here on this site, I will be forced to do a repair.  I don't want to do a repair but I don't have any other suggestions or options.
    quarta-feira, 2 de janeiro de 2013 18:55
  • Hi,

You may perform the in place upgrade to repair the system files and see how it works.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

quinta-feira, 3 de janeiro de 2013 06:47
    Moderador
  • I have run into the same issue.  Currently I am trying to run SFC /SCANNOW to see if it resolves the issue.

As a workaround you can navigate to C:\Users\Public\Desktop and put your shortcuts there to make them available to all users.  Hope this helps.

quarta-feira, 13 de novembro de 2019 18:31