none
App crashes (C0000005) and other mysteries RRS feed

• Întrebare

• I have a persistent issue with one client computer on a domain network.  All other clients work fine, but this specific machine crashes regularly (erratically, but many times per day). Event Viewer shows "Application Error ....c000041d" and several other codes.

But the thing I find more curious is that if I try to run Device Manager, it fails, saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".  Event Viewer does not show any activity,

I've done a clean install of Win 10 Pro, and I'm logged in as the domain administrator.  Whatever this gremlin is, it has persisted across fresh installs.  I'm running Win10 x64 Ver 1909 Build 18363,476,  8gb of memory (that passes mdsched,exe), Pentium i3-3220. Disk is 90% empty SSD.

At least one post indicated it could be a driver problem, but the inability to run device manager is a handicap!

miercuri, 4 decembrie 2019 18:34

Răspunsuri

• As I mentioned, we have a good workaround.  It's above my skill grade to figure out what the app is doing wrong, but since the problem started with a service pack to the app (not Windows) I put the blame on them, in addition to the job of figuring it out.  Thanks for the many suggestions.
    • Marcat ca răspuns de jjgurley joi, 19 decembrie 2019 12:46
    joi, 19 decembrie 2019 12:46

Toate mesajele

• If I open Device Manager via the link in Settings/About/System info/Device Manager, it works, so I was able to update the graphics and printer driver.  I'm not a user, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if this helped.
    miercuri, 4 decembrie 2019 18:46
  • The computer can be checked for major problems reported in the logs.

Others can troubleshoot apps.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually:  dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

miercuri, 4 decembrie 2019 20:52
  • Hello,

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

joi, 5 decembrie 2019 06:42
  • Hi, 

Try to update the existing system version to the latest through Settings\Update & Security\Windows update. 

Then go to C:\Windows\System32 and make sure your account have full control priviledge for devmgmt.msc, also please check the owner of devmgmt.msc to your account. 

Open command prompt as administrator and run the following command line to repair corrupt system files. 

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

miercuri, 11 decembrie 2019 01:56
  • Hi,
    Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

marți, 17 decembrie 2019 07:01
  • Our APP vendor finally got around to my issue and found that a work-around is to turn off "Slide or Fade Tool Tips into View" on the PC.  No clue what the underlying problem is.  It's only been tested for 1/2 a day so far, so the jury is still deliberating.
    marți, 17 decembrie 2019 12:33
  • Hi,

Thank you for your sharing. 

It is so weird with a clean installed PC. I would recommend to check with local account or leave domain for test. 

If it is available, we would recommend to use process monitor tool to monitor thread for some clue. 

Bests, 

joi, 19 decembrie 2019 08:48
  • As I mentioned, we have a good workaround.  It's above my skill grade to figure out what the app is doing wrong, but since the problem started with a service pack to the app (not Windows) I put the blame on them, in addition to the job of figuring it out.  Thanks for the many suggestions.
    • Marcat ca răspuns de jjgurley joi, 19 decembrie 2019 12:46
    joi, 19 decembrie 2019 12:46