none
Deleting data from AppData\Local\Packages RRS feed

• Întrebare

• Hi,

On my computer, AppData\Local\Packages folder is taking a lot of space.

What files/folders can be deleted from this folder and what is the impact?

Thanks

Anil

vineri, 6 februarie 2015 03:26

Răspunsuri

• Hello Anil,

The files in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages folder store the user configuration settings for all of the installed Modern UI Apps.

These apps use a completely different programming model than the traditional Desktop (Win32) apps.
    It is not recommended to delete the folder.

If you are just trying to clear the Windows Store Cache, there is a built-in component to accomplish this.
    1. Press the WinKey+Q to display the Search and type WSRESET.
    2. In the Results, click wsreset to reset the Store Cache.
    3. The Windows Store will open and confirm that the cache has been cleared.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHNE

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

duminică, 8 februarie 2015 09:30

Toate mesajele

• Hello Anil,

The files in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages folder store the user configuration settings for all of the installed Modern UI Apps.

These apps use a completely different programming model than the traditional Desktop (Win32) apps.

If you are just trying to clear the Windows Store Cache, there is a built-in component to accomplish this.
    1. Press the WinKey+Q to display the Search and type WSRESET.
    2. In the Results, click wsreset to reset the Store Cache.
    3. The Windows Store will open and confirm that the cache has been cleared.

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHNE

Fangzhou CHEN

duminică, 8 februarie 2015 09:30
  • i was having same problem install Wiztree from internet and find folder with paccakges in APP data as mentioned above, you will find one folder might be one having your antivirus files, for me it was AVG anti virus i uninstall that software and bingo now i am having 30GB free space...
    • Propus ca răspuns de cptbob marți, 17 ianuarie 2017 19:44
    luni, 21 decembrie 2015 14:35
  • I have this same issue on 2 computers I have been working on. I found that on both machines inside the $AppData$\Local\Packages folder they had an antivirus that was keeping logs and storing them. Both machine had over 30gb of data and 1 out of the 2 had over 250gb.  in Kaspersky there is a setting to disable this feature and get your drive space back.
    joi, 24 decembrie 2015 20:03
  • Turns out that AVG Web TuneUp fills 277GB of space on my pc... I'm deleting it right now, thank you engrTAHA :)
    • Editat de PXJesse vineri, 1 ianuarie 2016 11:23
    vineri, 1 ianuarie 2016 11:23
  • Hello Anil,

Best regards,

Fangzhou CHNE

Fangzhou CHEN

It should be noted at this point that if you do not use any modern apps, and / or have used PowerShell to uninstall them all - see http://www.thewindowsclub.com/erase-default-preinstalled-modern-apps-windows-8 for details, then this folder can safely be deleted, with no ill effects.  I have done this on both Windows 8.1 computers I own, and they continue to function just fine.
    sâmbătă, 8 iulie 2017 17:54
  • I am so glad you shared this information. I had seen where there are other replies to this problem involving deleting the packages folder. So glad I didn't do that! Your tip to reset the Store cache worked like a charm! Thank you so much!!
    duminică, 1 iulie 2018 15:12
  • Years on and still helpful! 40 GB in that piece of shit app AVG Web TuneUp. That would npot install the normal way on Win10. Thanks you so much!
    luni, 2 iulie 2018 15:15
  • Unfortunately I found the trojan valyria 2418 in the following cirectory.

microsoft windows communication 8weky local state files

fortunately  it was detected.  But why is that directory vulnerable ti this virus.

joi, 27 septembrie 2018 18:42
  • check Sub-folders within it, in my case Spotify was using 9 Gb within Packages folder,
    i've deleted  almost everything under spotify subfolder and had no problems with spotify afterwards.
    • Editat de Mo.Tahoon marți, 27 noiembrie 2018 17:59 spelling mistakes
    marți, 27 noiembrie 2018 17:56
  • https://account.microsoft.com/account/privacy allows deletion of the log files.
    marți, 23 iulie 2019 10:23