none
Exchange 2010 Conversion To Vm Questions RRS feed

• Întrebare

• I'm currently working on an old 2010 Exchange server and the physical server is having some hardware problems.  I'm trying to come up with a plan to convert it to a VM as smoothly as possible while we get budgets for new Cals and Exchange licensing. 

I want to note that I've done what I'm suggesting below with around a dozen legacy systems so we can keep them active until our data retention periods are up.  I know that Exchange DB's are different so I'm not sure if this is a good idea yet.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I take the Exchange 2010 server, disable the NIC, dismount the DB's,and shut off all Exchange services.  Can I use Disk2VHD to create a working image?  I'm thinking that with all Exchange services off, network disabled, and the DB's dismounted they should be treated like regular files and when I boot the sever up as a VM I should be able to restart everything from where it was left off. If I could do this it would save me a lot of time trying to rebuild a new VM and restore everything. 

I was thinking that in a worst case scenario I could build a 2nd 2010 server and migrate the data off of the old physical server into the VM.  I'd prefer to try and move it all over at one time if possible as a .VHDX file.

joi, 22 august 2019 18:25

Toate mesajele

• Hi Joe,

Per my knowledge, yes, it's possible to use a VHDX file to create a working image. Details see:

Exchange Server virtualization -- Host-based failover clustering and migration for Exchange

What does Microsoft mean by migration support?

Migration technology refers to any technology that allows a planned move of a virtual machine from one host machine to another host machine. This move could also be an automated move that occurs as part of resource load balancing, but it isn't related to a failure in the system. Migrations are supported as long as the virtual machines never come up from a saved state that's persisted on disk. This means that technology that moves a virtual machine by transporting the state and virtual machine memory over the network with no perceived downtime is supported for use with Exchange. A third-party hypervisor vendor must provide support for the migration technology, while Microsoft provides support for Exchange when used in this configuration.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

vineri, 23 august 2019 06:49
  • Hi Joe,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

miercuri, 28 august 2019 09:07