none
Windows fails to boot after apply updates RRS feed

• Вопрос

• Hi,

The story behind the question is this: Last Thursday, I, the person sitting beside me (A) and someone else (B) rebooted their PCs. We all had applied some pending updates first. Only person A's PC came backup. Me and the other booted straight into Windows recovery. I gave person B a spare PC. I tried but failed to fix mine.

On Friday, I got into the office and another user's PC was booting straight into recovery mode. A short while later person B arrived and when they turned on their PC, it booted into recovery again.

This is what I'm manged to gleam using the available tools.

The PC's, generally, have one disk, that is a GPT disk. The BIOS is set to use the "Windows boot loader". There is no secure boot option.

From DISKPART I see there are two partitions; NTFS 119Gb and 100Mb. The latter does not have a letter assigned.

DISKPART>Select disk 0; select partition 1; assign letter=s:

A quick of the new assigned s: drive show that the EFI\Microsoft\Boot is intact.
    A dir of the C:\ shows all my data and windows installation in place.

>bootrec /scanos says the number of Windows installations found: 0.>

>bootrec /rebuildbcd say "Completed successfully...number of Windows installations found: 0"

Neither fix the problem.

>bcdedit /enum

show the following:

bcd edit enum

Where there is a 'path', I have checked and the file exists.

My question is how to cross-reference the UUID of the "objects" to a volume.

Thanks,

Dermot

20 августа 2019 г. 17:24

Ответы

• Hi,

This is a known issue of August update.

To resolve it:

1. you should run DISM /Image:C:\ /Get-Packages, which will list all the packages on the OS (The list will also contain the August patch(s) along with other pending updates (if any) patched previously)
    2. un-install them by running the following commands:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /revertpendingactions

This command will revert (remove) all the ‘Installed Pending’ updates which may have caused the machine to not boot.

1. We can also uninstall the pending August Monthly Rollup/Security-only by running the following commands:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:<Package Identity>

1. Reboot the machine and server should be able to boot up.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

22 августа 2019 г. 5:47
    Модератор

Все ответы

• Have a look at this thread for a fuller explanation and an overall solution
    • Изменено tomredsky 22 августа 2019 г. 13:26
    21 августа 2019 г. 10:14
  • Hi,

This is a known issue of August update.

To resolve it:

1. you should run DISM /Image:C:\ /Get-Packages, which will list all the packages on the OS (The list will also contain the August patch(s) along with other pending updates (if any) patched previously)
    2. un-install them by running the following commands:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /revertpendingactions

This command will revert (remove) all the ‘Installed Pending’ updates which may have caused the machine to not boot.

1. We can also uninstall the pending August Monthly Rollup/Security-only by running the following commands:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Remove-Package /PackageName:<Package Identity>

1. Reboot the machine and server should be able to boot up.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

22 августа 2019 г. 5:47
    Модератор
  • I can confirm that the

/revertpendingactions

option has fixed my PC. I added the `/scratchdir=c:\`  option to stifle a warning. At the end it reported an error. The log file "x:\windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log" suggested that the process ended gracefully but I did not read it that closely, it is rather massive!

22 августа 2019 г. 17:09