none
How to install edge on 2016 server. RRS feed

Ответы

Все ответы

• Hi,

Please check the Microsoft Edge requirements below:

Microsoft Edge requirements and language support https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/microsoft-edge/hardware-and-software-requirements

"The Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) versions of Windows, including Windows Server 2016, don't include Microsoft Edge or many other Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps. These apps and their services are frequently updated with new functionality, and can't be supported on systems running the LTSB operating systems."

Looks like that we need to use IE within Windows Server 2016.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

14 апреля 2017 г. 9:53
    Модератор
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

17 апреля 2017 г. 5:21
    Модератор
  • Hi,

You cannot use Microsoft Edge browser on Server 2016. This app is designed for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge#BoUJld5DhYepehr1.97

Thank you,

Karim

• Изменено Karim Buzdar 18 апреля 2017 г. 11:51
    • Предложено в качестве ответа AlvwanModerator 19 апреля 2017 г. 1:24
    18 апреля 2017 г. 11:50
  • well that sucks, gues we need to use google chome than :(
    • Предложено в качестве ответа Gunnerman 12 июня 2018 г. 21:52
    5 октября 2017 г. 12:05
  • So what I see here is when websites phase out IE you offer no option, so Google it is!

WLT

• "websites phase out IE"

Since IE is built on the same standards that Edge and Chrome and Firefox and other browsers, I don't think you need to worry.  The websites do not "phase out" browsers, unless you mean that that phase out particular features of a browser.  And, if you look at browser usage percentages, you will see that Edge currently has a lower usage percentage than does IE, so moving to Edge would be moving to a less used browser.

tim

• Honestly it feels like Windows as a platform is dying. My experience has been that .NET Core apps are easier to install and run on Ubuntu than on Windows. And, for debugging web apps Chrome is pretty much essential anyway.
  • <chuckle>

I'm glad you aren't my financial analyst.  Microsoft stock is at an all time high.  So I guess the public and financial people have a different outlook on the marketplace than you do.

tim

• Had a few RDS users request Edge on their RDS desktops and I ended up here. One more win for Chrome. I wonder why MS even bothers with a browser at this point.
    12 июня 2018 г. 22:00
  • It would be nice if Edge could be installed on Windows Server 2019 so the Microsoft Windows Admin Center can be used to manage Windows Server 2019 when integrating it with AZURE.
    • Изменено IceHiker 9 июня 2019 г. 19:30
    3 сентября 2018 г. 23:45
  • The following is enough reason to abandon IE.

Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical supports and security updates. Internet Explorer 11 is the last version of Internet Explorer, and will continue to receive security updates, compatibility fixes, and technical support on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Source:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/End-of-IE-support?irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir_4a33d954N9d69992d2b204973b8b18347)(7593)(1243925)(TnL5HPStwNw-NTAyVvcMC_sK9h79J7_9YA)()&irclickid=4a33d954N9d69992d2b204973b8b18347

20 сентября 2018 г. 18:37
  • alaric,

I don't follow your logic.  Microsoft is stating that it is going to drop support on earlier versions and only provide support on the latest - "only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical supports and security updates.".  That seems fairly typical.

Besides, you are referencing an article that is defining a support policy for Windows clients, not Windows Server, and this forum is dedicated to topics on Windows Server.  Even then, IE 11 will follow the life-cycle support of the host OS.  Since IE 11 is currently available on Windows 10, it is fully supported on Windows 10.  Since Windows 10 has not had a replacement version released yet, that means that IE 11 will be supported for at least another 10 years.  

I am definitely a proponent of planning ahead, but abandoning IE 11 today because it may lose support 10 years down the road seems a bit like over-reaction.

tim

• Предложено в качестве ответа Dave PatrickMVP 21 сентября 2018 г. 14:25
    21 сентября 2018 г. 13:00
  • IE11 doesn't support async and await keywords, which is a vital time saver for JavaScript development without using complex promises and asynchronous callback structures, nor does it support other JavaScript improvements. Many developers call it the new IE6 because it is generations behind these technical capabilities of Chrome, Firefox and Safari. In order to test cross-browser compatibility we need to so without standing up tons of local desktops even if they are virtual machines. 

We have informed our customers we thus will not be supporting any version of IE going forward, and they are in basic agreement at this point as most have already started standardizing on Chrome for all Windows users.

25 октября 2018 г. 14:14
  • Also things like CSS variables, which are extremely useful in my line of work.

If we could use Edge then problem solved. But as other people have said, the only option on Server 2016 is Chrome so reluctantly I'm being pushed by Microsoft to install a rival product on my Microsoft system. It just seems a bit sad but something that happens too often. My Microsoft Lumia 950XL is sitting here on my desk switched off next to my far inferior iPhone 7 which is switched on and in use, all because Microsoft didn't support that properly. Microsoft has so many self-inflicted holes in its own feet it's in danger of falling over.

• Изменено Chris MH 8 января 2019 г. 11:52
    8 января 2019 г. 11:50
  • Microsoft: This is BS. Please let me decide which of your browsers I want to install. You don't know better than me.
    14 января 2019 г. 19:27
  • Such a double standard going on at MS.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-default/

How do they expect us to handle our RDS users without going to a non-native browser like Chrome or Firefox? Makes zero sense.

14 февраля 2019 г. 21:19
  • soon windows will go away. (3-5 years)  MS constantly strands users, windows phone, zune, small business server, money, I could go on and on.

Microsoft has decided that its $$$ is in the cloud and making big bank there, since google made the "for profit software market" (save vertical applications) impossible to make money in anymore. google gave away all MSs money makers and make money by stealing peoples data! smart!

Windows 10 will be the last windows. if you know their servers, they are doing the same thing, forcing (at least the small shop users) users to the cloud, and what better way to look at all your data, even more effective than googles scam!

sad but true.

14 марта 2019 г. 3:54
  • it is completely dying or being killed by way of dilution...

ms leaves custoemrs high and dry routinely... IE, Window Phone, Zune, Money, Small Business Server, etc. and I could go on and on...

since google gives away all the same software MS used to sell for free and in turn customers let google steal their data MS has had no choice but to move on...

they are KILLING it in the cloud and why they are so profitable, the surface products seems to be doing well as is Office 365 again the cloud.

And what better way for MS to one up google on stealing peoples data than have all your server data on their cloud ??

So far MS does not appear to be reading peoples outlook on cloud exchange emails, we know gmail is.

The want us all in the cloud with only a dumb terminal to use. 

And as long as your a trusting type it will be just fine...  

Apple shows MS that backward compatibility is a joke so MS stopped. Google showed MS that you can give away software and make money by stealing peoples data and selling them ads in googles case.

Not so sure any of this is good, but I think we better get used to it, any over the age of 20,(under that and you only know the new MS)  MS is not what is used to be!

"Computing freedom" will some be a dinosaur!  :-)

14 марта 2019 г. 4:08
  • "websites phase out IE"

Since IE is built on the same standards that Edge and Chrome and Firefox and other browsers, I don't think you need to worry.  The websites do not "phase out" browsers, unless you mean that that phase out particular features of a browser.  And, if you look at browser usage percentages, you will see that Edge currently has a lower usage percentage than does IE, so moving to Edge would be moving to a less used browser.

tim

My only comment to make on this statement is that it's happening anyway.  There are several sites that I visit (Yahoo mail being one) that have taken to throwing pop-ups in my face over the past several months saying that IE is no longer supported and I should switch to a different browser.  There are many more sites that I visit that, while they don't put up a popup saying it's unsupported, they very obviously don't work right with IE.  If you load up the same page with any other browser (Edge included), they work perfectly fine.
    14 марта 2019 г. 18:14
  • Agree, it is happening! I run a Plex Server on Windows Server 2016 and now I am getting messages like "Internet Explorer 11 will not be supported in a future update. Please upgrade to a modern browser." I try to keep my servers lean and I would suspect that as an industry best practice for security, one would want to minimise adding any 3rd party browsers.
    11 апреля 2019 г. 4:09
  • Installed Windows 2019. No sign of Edge so far. Nearly dead product I guess.

Sticking to Firefox...

• Изменено lolix2 15 апреля 2019 г. 11:34
    15 апреля 2019 г. 8:25
  • Actually, websites do phase out browsers. Kind of a bummer to have to install and use a non-Microsoft browser to use GitHub on a Windows Server. So Edge may be less used but required nonetheless. More and more sites are burping on IE kind of making Edge (or an alternative) required.

So it goes and we've seen worse.

• Изменено T.A.Schultz 11 мая 2019 г. 18:57
  • This works for me on Windows Server 2019

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4501095/download-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium

No idea if supported but works fine.

• Предложено в качестве ответа T.A.Schultz 1 июня 2019 г. 17:24
    1 июня 2019 г. 12:18
  • Validated that it works on WinSrv 2019 and WinSrv 2016 as well. No more warning from GitHub. Thanks!

Note: It took me a little while to realize that you need to click the 'Download Dev Channel for Windows 10' button; that caption at first made me think it would download info or guidance as with 'Channel 9' so I spent some time searching for the software download. Click that button and you get a download to install what will be called Microsoft Edge Dev.

Note: I installed Microsoft Edge Dev from my admin account, then opened it from the same account but without explicitly running as administrator. I get the message "Administrator Mode Detected; Close Microsoft Edge and relaunch in non-administrator mode for best performance." Using a non-admin account for Edge Dev on the same server did not get this warning but I don't know if an admin can launch in non-admin mode. Just a curiousity.

• Изменено T.A.Schultz 1 июня 2019 г. 17:30
    1 июня 2019 г. 17:23
  • So what I see here is when websites phase out IE you offer no option, so Google it is!

WLT

Server should not be used for browsing, but of course it is your system so all rights is yours. :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

WLT

Server should not be used for browsing, but of course it is your system so all rights is yours. :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Some things, such as Citrix, runs on MS Server, so in these cases you have to do it.
  • Is using Windows Admin Center considered "browsing" when it is required to sanely manage some of the new Windows Server/Azure feature interfaces?

The purpose of this thread is to resolve the issue that Edge is now required for Windows Admin Center, which is required to perform various tasks, monitoring, and configuration of important Windows Server/Azure features.  "Server should not be used" for server administration is [ ... excuses go here ... ]

9 июня 2019 г. 19:52
  • Just following up.  In response:  No, the information has not been helpful yet.  Expect that, this thread helps prevent people from spinning their wheels or pulling their hair out trying to use Edge in Windows Server.

So far there is no Microsoft based solution for running Windows Admin Center on Windows Server 2019 or Windows LTSB or LTSC - because it requires Microsoft Edge "or other modern browser".

I observe from the postings in this thread that this does not just affect dedicated Microsoft Windows Server administrators trying to use Windows Admin Center for Server/Azure management.  It is unfortunate that some of the postings are negative, in general, and may not even be directly related to this issue.

There are only two positive Microsoft based assistances that can be provided for this thread are:

1. Provide a Windows Server compatible version of Microsoft Edge

2. Provide a Windows LTSx compatible version of Microsoft Edge

3. In my specific case, provide a non-Edge dependent Windows Admin Center equivalent application (e.g. .NET Windows Desktop App) for managing Server/Azure features

I personally recognize the challenges and trade-offs involved, so I personally don't appreciate negative postings.  I simply just want to keep my Windows Servers configured with minimal third party products. This thread is a good example Why this is important to us sys admins.

• Изменено IceHiker 9 июня 2019 г. 20:16
    9 июня 2019 г. 20:15
  • "Edge" natively supports HLS video playback.

IE, Chrome (desktop: used to; no longer): do not natively support HLS video playback.

8 июля 2019 г. 18:00
  • They are trying to break people away from administering their servers by actually logging into them.

Secure admin models going forward are to administer servers from a remote system (ie Win10) that has edge and elevate using an account with admin privileges. This ensures that any malicious code that may run at user login no longer has a chance to run.

However, the other point that several people have made, re: RDS and Citrix workloads, are completely valid and I am running into these myself.

25 июля 2019 г. 20:14
  • Download the new Microsoft Edge Beta.  It appears to have no restrictions when being installed on Server 2016.

• Предложено в качестве ответа David Kirchmer (MSA) 22 августа 2019 г. 11:55
    22 августа 2019 г. 11:53
  • I completely agree.  This is the issue that led me here.  I have a firewalled environment where we want to run WAC directly from an administration server - not a Windows 10 client.  I was completely surprised when the installed IE 11 browser was rejected as incompatible by WAC.   After reading the compatibility list, I used the offline Chrome installer.  I'll be providing this feedback to the WAC team also.  Their all or nothing strategy for installing on server on W10 client is unacceptable.
    2 октября 2019 г. 14:26
  • although... "The websites do not "phase out" browsers"... is technically accurate... 

Server 2016 should have edge over IE.

The reason IE is still used more than Edge, that is ONLY BECAUSE CORPORATIONS HAVE LAZY PROGRAMMERS STILL MAKING THINGS FOR THAT BROWSER.

No really. That's the reason why IE is still used.

Just wanted to clarify that point. I.E. was like a condom that every guy had in his wallet... allows for safe sex, but not real enjoyable... and sure. Maybe you stay safe... but...

...even condoms have holes in them sometimes.

20 ноября 2019 г. 15:17
  • You can now install the latest version of Edge on Server 2016/2019. I'd post a link but can't yet.

11 февраля 2020 г. 18:17
  • Microsoft Edge for business is available for Windows Server 2008r2 and onwards.  There is even a GPO for it. 

To download Visit :

www. microsoft. com /en-us/edge/business/download

For the formal definition for Supported OS's see 

docs. microsoft. com /en-us/DeployEdge/microsoft-edge-supported-operating-systems

(Sorry for the broken links but its because of the limitation by the site, It complains i'm not verified but I was :( )  
    • Изменено TechnoNotice 11 марта 2020 г. 10:49
    11 марта 2020 г. 10:47