none
DAG Network Misconfiguration RRS feed

• Вопрос

• Hey guys, 

I migrated our email servers from Exchange 2007 to a 3 node Exchange 2013 DAG. I set it up with a replication network (mostly because I was used to working with 2010) even though I read that it was no longer needed. I have since added another dag member at our DR location. I stupidly did not add a replication network on that server because my network admin told me we couldn't stretch the replication VLAN across the firewall.

Everything is working but I am getting a lot of network errors in the logs and whenever we have anything weird happens I am constantly wondering if that is related to the lack of proper network config. 

I am now wanting to resolve the issue but want to make sure I don't create any additional problems in the process. As far as I can tell I have two options

1. I can add a new replication network to my server in DR then create static routes between the servers at corp and DR. Then I would need to change the DAG network setting to manual configuration instead of automatic and add the new DR subnet.

2. (not sure about this one) I could remove the replication network altogether and have everything use the MAPI network? Would removing the replication network on a active DAG cause problems or would everything switch automatically to the MAPI network? From what I have read, I think it is probably using the MAPI network anyway due to the current misconfiguration. 

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the help!

23 августа 2019 г. 18:09

Все ответы

• Hey guys, 

I migrated our email servers from Exchange 2007 to a 3 node Exchange 2013 DAG. I set it up with a replication network (mostly because I was used to working with 2010) even though I read that it was no longer needed. I have since added another dag member at our DR location. I stupidly did not add a replication network on that server because my network admin told me we couldn't stretch the replication VLAN across the firewall.

Everything is working but I am getting a lot of network errors in the logs and whenever we have anything weird happens I am constantly wondering if that is related to the lack of proper network config. 

I am now wanting to resolve the issue but want to make sure I don't create any additional problems in the process. As far as I can tell I have two options

1. I can add a new replication network to my server in DR then create static routes between the servers at corp and DR. Then I would need to change the DAG network setting to manual configuration instead of automatic and add the new DR subnet.

2. (not sure about this one) I could remove the replication network altogether and have everything use the MAPI network? Would removing the replication network on a active DAG cause problems or would everything switch automatically to the MAPI network? From what I have read, I think it is probably using the MAPI network anyway due to the current misconfiguration. 

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for the help!

Remove the Replication network. Should not cause any issues. 
    24 августа 2019 г. 15:25
    Модератор
  • Hi mattrd75,

As Andy David said, you can disable Replication network. In that way, MAPI and Replication will use the same network.

Configure database availability group network properties

The best practice is split them to different network, it will balance the load of network.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

26 августа 2019 г. 9:41
    Модератор
  • Actually the best practice is to use one network for both REPL and MAPI traffic

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Exchange-Team-Blog/The-Preferred-Architecture/ba-p/586755

26 августа 2019 г. 11:44
    Модератор
  • Hi mattrd75,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

30 августа 2019 г. 9:17
    Модератор