none
Unsolicited Firmware Update from Windows Update? RRS feed

• Вопрос

• Windows Update pops up a UAC style notification every time I log in to my stand-alon Lenovo X230T laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 saying that something "needs to restart to install a firmware update".  I am sure that the notification comes from Windows Update:

1. If I kill the Windows Update process in Task Manager, the notifications go away.
    2. If I disable the Windows Update service in services.msc, the notifications never appear.

However, I have read that Windows Update can be compromised, and I have not found any confirmation that Windows Update makes unsolicited firmware updates on stand-alone computers.  Here are some screenshots of the notifications:

The first notification appears as soon as I log in. It stays in the foreground and blocks all action until I click "Close" or kill the Windows Update process in Task Manager.  Afterwards the notification is visible (in the task switcher) in the background, but I cannot give it focus or bring it to the foreground.  It pops up again at the 5-minute mark, and again stays in the foreground and blocks everything until I click "Close" or kill the Windows Update process in Task Manager.

How can I be sure that this is legitimate?  If it is, why doesn't it show up in the Windows Update GUI? What firmware is being updated? 

12 июня 2019 г. 21:03

Все ответы

• Hi,

I knew that Microsoft Surface models received BIOS and other firmware updates through Windows Update.

Also I've seen this reported elsewhere. Perhaps they're working closer with OEMs to deliver firmware updates via Windows Update.

You may refer to the following news for details:

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2018/10/18/microsoft-floats-new-updating-approach.aspx

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

And this:Updating Device Firmware using Windows Update

If you feel worried or concerned about that, you can to the manufacturer for firmware updates.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

13 июня 2019 г. 2:48
  • Thanks for responding.

1. I don't have a Surface, I have a LenovoX230T.
    2. The redmondmag article is pretty scary.  I'm not sure I would want to let this update happen, even if it is legitimate.
    3. I don't think Updating Device Firmware using Windows Update fits what I am seeing. If I understand it correctly, I should have seen a driver update package in the WU GUI, but I did not.
    4. The first thing I did when I saw these notifications was to contact Lenovo.  As soon as it became apparent that Windows Update was the source of the notifications, they disclaimed all responsibility.  Lenovo provides their own mechanism (Lenovo System Update) for delivering both firmware and software updates. I have recently updated the BIOS using this mechanism.

Thanks for your help.

13 июня 2019 г. 5:58
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Just for your reference, I have found some posts with the similar issue with yours:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/9570-BIOS-update-appearing-via-Windows-Update/td-p/7288132

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

It seems Dell models being updated in this way too.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

14 июня 2019 г. 5:44
  • Thanks for the additional info. It is nice to think I might not be alone, but I am not sure the cases are parallel. I still see some important differences. 1. The Dell owner apparently has Windows 10, whereas I have WIndows 8.1. What I have found so far refers only to firmware updates via WIndows 10 Update. 2. Windows Update never offered me a firmware update as shown in the YouTube video by Philip Yip. 3. Nor can I find any explanation of "What needs attention" as shown in the video. 4. The video doesn't show anything resembling what I am seeing. Of course, after researching the subject, I thought that this might be a BIOS update attempt. This is why I updated the BIOS myself using the Lenovo System Update tool. I assumed that, if the prompt I am seeing was about a BIOS update, then it would go away once the BIOS was up to date. However, the BIOS is now up to date and the notifications continue. Thanks for your support.
    • Изменено rsbrux 14 июня 2019 г. 12:11 formatting
    14 июня 2019 г. 12:06
  • A little digging around turned up these events:

PwrmgrBatteryFirmwareUpdate.png

So it appears to be an update to Battery Firmware, not BIOS or TPM.

Why should this come unannounced via Windows Update, instead of via Lenovo's System Update?

Why are there no indications of this update in the Windows Update GUI or in WindowsUpdate.log?

14 июня 2019 г. 15:53
  • Hi,

I found the following message may helpful to you.

Windows 8.1 may use Windows Update to update their firmware. Windows itself does not install firmware updates but instead hands off firmware updates to the UEFI system firmware for your computer.

If you are uncertain about whether your PC is using UEFI, contact your PC manufacturer. You can also view the Hardware IDs details for a particular firmware resource in its properties. UEFI firmware resources are prepended by UEFI\ in the device hardware ID.

More information may refer to:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2909710/firmware-update-failures-in-windows-8-1

I know you have contacted to Lenovo, but they may know the details about this problem.

Best regards,

Farena

17 июня 2019 г. 5:49
  • Thanks for the additional info.  I have reposted to the lenovo forum and will post back here if I learn anything new. 

18 июня 2019 г. 14:16
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for sharing your current progress.

If you have any other problem, please feel free to post in the forum.

19 июня 2019 г. 6:31
  • Dear Farena,

I just received an e-mail saying that one of your replies above had been "proposed as an answer", but I find no indication either here or in the e-mail which of your replies is the proposed answer.  I appreciate your efforts to help.  However, I do not consider any of your replies to be an answer to my question.  I still consider the question (through no fault of yours) unanswered.

The e-mail also contains the following:

"If you have questions or think you have received this in error, please contact us by clicking the following link: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=8103551

However, when I click on the link, I get a flashing screen that says:

>>

An error occurred

Please try your request again later

<<

• Hi rsbrux,

Thank you for your reminding.

I have  unproposed it and sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

Meanwhile, I will also report the error you mentioned to our team for further confirmation.

I will watching closely to the problem about firmware update. If there is any related update, I will let you know.

Thank you for your patience along the way.