none
Need a solution for allowing Remote Desktop access for a limited number of users. RRS feed

• คำถาม

• I've been searching and searching but I'm not getting all the pieces together.  Here is what I need to accomplish:

1. A VM running a modern Windows OS to run a specific application suite.
    2. That VM needs to be able to handle up to 5 concurrent Remote Desktop connection actively using the application mentioned above. (The application suite is designed to be able to handle this.)
    3. Users will be connecting with tablets, laptops and desktops from the local network and from external connections as well.

The application suite runs a database and is normally installed on multiple desktops with one of them being the "master" running the DB.  Maintaining the multiple desktops is less practical compared to one VM that everyone connects to.  I've seen "hack" ways to run multiple remote connections to Windows 10 and such but I'm looking to do this right.  This application suite is going to be used for the foreseeable future and I don't want to hack it together waiting for an update to break the hack.

What I am asking for is help with what I need for this use case.  I'm ok with building multiple servers (in ESXi/VMware) if needed, though I would prefer only one.  I also would really rather use a per user license since the users are regularly changing out the devices they are connecting with.  

I have downloaded and build basic VMs with the eval versions of Server 2019 Essentials and Standard.

21 กันยายน 2562 4:48

คำตอบ

• Hi,

If you need a system which supports more than two simultaneously sessions, such as “up to 5 concurrent Remote Desktop connection” you had mentioned, then, we need to deploy RDS.

Windows Server Essentials, this version, system itself only supports up to two simultaneously sessions for admin purpose. Also, once Windows Server essentials has been deployed, it must be primary DC which holds all FSMO roles. Then, we need to add another standard server system to provide RDS functions. So, if you want to use mini server numbers, WSE is not recommended.

If we use Windows Server Standard, we can configured RDS deployment to establish your requirements. If you also need to publish RDP to external/Internet device(as point 3 you had mentioned), it is recommended to deploy 2 servers, one of them is used as RD Connection Broker/Session Host/Licensing server, another one of them is used as RD Gateway/Web Access(if you want to publish application via web).

Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Architecture Explained:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yungchou/2010/01/04/remote-desktop-services-rds-architecture-explained/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย AwesomeBob 1 ตุลาคม 2562 12:49
    23 กันยายน 2562 6:59
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hi,

> Which of those would be the one I install the application suite on that would be the target for everyone RDC connecting to?
    Server which has RD Session Host server role installed would be the host for your applications. And remote user connect to the session host to obtain remote resources.

>I'm struggling trying to wrap my head around the licensing that would be needed. Between user and device CALs, I'm not sure which is best.
    RDS per user/device CALs number is based on your user/device number, choose one of them would be ok. Consider of the price, choose smaller one. For example, your user number is small than device, then, choose RDS per user CALs.

If you choose RDS per user CALs, the number is corresponding to your user number:
    When you use the Per User model, licensing is not enforced and each user is granted a license to connect to an RD Session Host from any number of devices. The license server issues licenses from the available CAL pool or the Over-Used CAL pool. It's your responsibility to ensure that all of your users have a valid license and zero Over-Used CALs—otherwise, you're in violation of the Remote Desktop Services license terms.

Quote from “License your RDS deployment with client access licenses (CALs)”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license

>So one license for it will allow me to build to two VMs needed.  Is this correct?
    Yes, as you understand. Virtualization Standard version would also be the choose. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

27 กันยายน 2562 2:56
    ผู้ดูแล

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hi,

If you need a system which supports more than two simultaneously sessions, such as “up to 5 concurrent Remote Desktop connection” you had mentioned, then, we need to deploy RDS.

Windows Server Essentials, this version, system itself only supports up to two simultaneously sessions for admin purpose. Also, once Windows Server essentials has been deployed, it must be primary DC which holds all FSMO roles. Then, we need to add another standard server system to provide RDS functions. So, if you want to use mini server numbers, WSE is not recommended.

If we use Windows Server Standard, we can configured RDS deployment to establish your requirements. If you also need to publish RDP to external/Internet device(as point 3 you had mentioned), it is recommended to deploy 2 servers, one of them is used as RD Connection Broker/Session Host/Licensing server, another one of them is used as RD Gateway/Web Access(if you want to publish application via web).

Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Architecture Explained:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/yungchou/2010/01/04/remote-desktop-services-rds-architecture-explained/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

23 กันยายน 2562 6:59
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

25 กันยายน 2562 7:11
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Thank you for checking back in Eve.  I'm still working through this.  It is new territory for me so I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment trying to read up on it without asking questions that are just there if I read them (RTFM).

If I can build this with two 2019 Standard servers then one would be the DC and one the licensing server.  Which of those would be the one I install the application suite on that would be the target for everyone RDC connecting to?  The licensing server would be my guess, since I can't imagine using a DC for that.

Also, I'm struggling trying to wrap my head around the licensing that would be needed. Between user and device CALs, I'm not sure which is best.  For my needs a 5 User CAL pack seems best, but are those CAL specific to accounts or to simultaneous connections?  In other words, if I have 10 users but only 5 will be connected at the same time would the User CAL will work?  Or since I have 10 users I need to buy 10 seats even though they don't connect at the same time (think shift work).

If I go with Device CALs I think the smallest I've seen was a 20 device pack.  With that, I would easily be under the limit, but the cost is way more than the User CAL.  This is an education setting that doesn't qualify for any Microsoft discounting so I'm really limited on budget.

As I read, the licensing for Server 2019 Standard I get two VM installs.  So one license for it will allow me to build to two VMs needed.  Is this correct?

26 กันยายน 2562 13:55
  • Hi,

> Which of those would be the one I install the application suite on that would be the target for everyone RDC connecting to?
    Server which has RD Session Host server role installed would be the host for your applications. And remote user connect to the session host to obtain remote resources.

>I'm struggling trying to wrap my head around the licensing that would be needed. Between user and device CALs, I'm not sure which is best.
    RDS per user/device CALs number is based on your user/device number, choose one of them would be ok. Consider of the price, choose smaller one. For example, your user number is small than device, then, choose RDS per user CALs.

If you choose RDS per user CALs, the number is corresponding to your user number:
    When you use the Per User model, licensing is not enforced and each user is granted a license to connect to an RD Session Host from any number of devices. The license server issues licenses from the available CAL pool or the Over-Used CAL pool. It's your responsibility to ensure that all of your users have a valid license and zero Over-Used CALs—otherwise, you're in violation of the Remote Desktop Services license terms.

Quote from “License your RDS deployment with client access licenses (CALs)”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-license

>So one license for it will allow me to build to two VMs needed.  Is this correct?
    Yes, as you understand. Virtualization Standard version would also be the choose. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

27 กันยายน 2562 2:56
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

30 กันยายน 2562 1:22
    ผู้ดูแล
  • I was able to build this two server RDS solution thanks to your help and input.  I now have to fight with Office Licensing for the users who remote in, but I might just install OpenOffice and be done with it.  Thank you for your help.

My configuration is a DC and a RDS server.  The RDS server has the applications installed that need to be shared and is the session host.  So far is cost us one server license and a 5 User CAL pack.

1 ตุลาคม 2562 12:49
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

3 ตุลาคม 2562 1:29
    ผู้ดูแล