none
Kernel Power - Event ID 41 - Task Category 63 (spontaneous improper shutdowns and reboots) RRS feed

• คำถาม

• I have been having consistent power offs/reboots lately, and im at my wits end about how to fix them.

It always seems to happen when im playing a high end game (Guild Wars 2, Mirrors Edge, etc.). 

I havent experienced it while just browsing or doing basic work, or while playing lower intensity games that hog less resources.

The computer screen goes black, it reboots and i get the "windows has had an improper shutdown" kind of message.

Usually after playing the game for an hour at the least, though its happened 2-3 hours into the game as well.

I checked temps, and they are all normal,

Ive also attempted updating drivers, and downgrading from any beta drivers i was using, and none of that seemed to affect it.

I checked event viewer,

And right before this shutdown i get the critical error "Kernel-Power" "Event ID 41" Task Category 63"

this is the XML given to me in the details:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-02T04:55:51.116009800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>28689</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>

</Event>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be going wrong, or things to check it would be greatly appreciated.

Ive looked around at others solutions and tried whats helped others and it hasnt done much so far.

it seems like this is a very broad problem, with no unspecific fix in most cases.

• แก้ไขโดย Sevenf0rce 2 กันยายน 2555 22:52 typo
    2 กันยายน 2555 22:50

คำตอบ

• Hi,

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Or, the driver can cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items: 

1. Overclocking
    : Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.

2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3. Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.

4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.

5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system. 

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click Advanced system settings.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.

5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

For more information, please refer to this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method3

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Kim ZhouModerator 19 กันยายน 2555 0:00
    4 กันยายน 2555 3:14
    ผู้ดูแล

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hi,

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Or, the driver can cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items: 

1. Overclocking
    : Disable overclocking to see whether the issue occurs when the system is run at the correct speed.

2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

3. Power supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices can require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.

4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.

5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system. 

If you see that the computer generates a Stop error that contains a BugcheckCode value that is not reported in an event ID 41, change the restart behavior for the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click Advanced system settings.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.

5. Click to clear the Automatically restart check box.

For more information, please refer to this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504#method3

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Kim ZhouModerator 19 กันยายน 2555 0:00
    4 กันยายน 2555 3:14
    ผู้ดูแล
  • In my case, it was fixed completely by changing Device Manager setting.
    (LAN, keyboard, mouse  --- 3devices)

Allow this device to wake the computer ---- off

Please try.

cf. How to avoid Kernel Power id 41 problem
    http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~the_imai/etymology/kp41_en.html

20 กันยายน 2555 8:23
  • New version of my solution for Kernel Power id 41 Problem.

Power options/ Battery (notebook) setting ---- all disable

my PC is Desktop, but I dare change notebook options. --- this is odd solution.

Please try.

cf.
    http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~the_imai/etymology/kp41_en2.html
    --------

From my test,
    When Critical battery level = "100%" were specified, pk41 happened easily.
    Repeatability --- Yes.
    My PC is Desktop.
    What means this fact?

6 ตุลาคม 2555 17:16
  • Newest version of my solution for Kernel Power id 41 Problem.

After Adobe Flash Player environment was reset, Kernel Power error 41 have been stopped.

Perhaps, Windows 7 typical Kernel Power error 41 is caused by Adobe Flash Player.

cf. http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~the_imai/etymology/kp41_en2.html#Adobe

7 ธันวาคม 2555 7:36
  • I'm getting the same issue.

Fresh install, Windows 7 ultimate (6.1 build)

Drivers up to date.

All updates complete.

Ram is fine.

Bugcheck code has been several different numbers:

59, 10, 30, 26.

Crashes seem to be random, and occur at different times throughout the day. Haven't had one that recently, but here are all the minidump files I have.

http://www.filedropper.com/minidumps

23 พฤศจิกายน 2557 23:44
  • Has anyone found a cause for this? Problems of random restarts started Mid June. Replace PSU, Replaced CPU, checked and rechecked RAM at least four times. Reinstalled Windows 10 twice. Sent MoBo into Gigabyte and it is checked as OK. Automatic updates on. No BSOD.

PSU 600 Watt

Intel i5-4460

16GB DDR3 RAM dual channel

Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard F9 bios

Temps normal

No overclocking of anything

No added video card. 

- <Eventxmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power"Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
      <EventID>41</EventID>
      <Version>5</Version>
      <Level>1</Level>
      <Task>63</Task>
      <Opcode>0</Opcode>
      <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-15T15:27:23.532078700Z" />
      <EventRecordID>5432</EventRecordID>
      <Correlation />
      <Execution ProcessID="4"ThreadID="8" />
      <Channel>System</Channel>
      <Computer>PeteCustomPC</Computer>
      <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
      <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
      <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
      <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
      <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
      <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
      <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
      <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Advanced tab.

In the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings. Done

Click to clear the Automatically restart check box. Done buy system continues to restart. Any help appreciated.

kokaloiatros

18 กันยายน 2560 3:22
  • Hi,

I'm having this problem too. Only thing I've changed to make this happen was to install a new SSD Samsung evo 820 something. Just seen that it was a common issue with other sites that say they experience this issue. I went and bought a new power supply because they said it could be that but problem is still there. Hope someone has an answer.

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย Boneman 17 ตุลาคม 2560 22:45
    • ยกเลิกการนำเสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย Boneman 17 ตุลาคม 2560 22:45
    16 ตุลาคม 2560 11:12
  • As you can see from my previous post, I have replaced essentially everything and I still have the problem. I have a Gigabyte mobo. In the BIOS there is a Power Management setting called Power Loading. It states in the Gigabyte manual that if the computer PSU is at a low load, a self protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs. please set to ENABLED. 

I cannot tell yet if this is the fix for this issue. But come on! How many times can one replace the PSU, Replace the memory, re-install the OS, replace hard drives that test out OK, and RMA the mother board?

Also changing system restart setting in advanced system options will not stop the computer from restarting because there is no bug code, and therefore there is no dump file.

Gigabyte wants me to go through purchasing another hard drive, reinstall the OS, and if the problem persists, then RMA the motherboard again. 

kokaloiatros

16 ตุลาคม 2560 14:26
  • This latest fix to the Power Management setting did not work either. The PC rebooted just one hour ago.

So if I have changed and RMAd PSU, RMAd and changed CPU, tested and retested RAM repeatedly, sent mobo in for RMA and it was returned as checking and passing Gigabytes testing, the graphics card is not even installed, the OS has had no  less than two clean re-installs, even replaced power switch panel, and JimDillard had changed SSD and this is still occurring, where does one go from here? Power settings are all set to never sleep, never hibernate, etc.

kokaloiatros

16 ตุลาคม 2560 21:31
  • Hi,

I'm having this problem too. Only thing I've changed to make this happen was to install a new SSD Samsung evo 820 something. Just seen that it was a common issue with other sites that say they experience this issue. I went and bought a new power supply because they said it could be that but problem is still there. Hope someone has an answer.

Don't know what motherboard you have. The following are all the things I have done so far to find a fix to this problem. I am ordering a new hard drive just to see if it could still be a failing hard drive even when Samsung Magician says the SSD drive is fine. The problem tracking this down is that there is no "bug check code". In other words there is no pointer to a driver or any other software issue.  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

I believe that since my motherboard passed all tests on the RMA, it is not the motherboard as far as I can tell. Power supply was also RMA and is new. CPU was RMA and is new. Graphics card was removed and using on board graphics. Temps are all good. Tested and re tested RAM and it tests good both with Memtest86 and Windows memory test. 

From Gigabyte support: 

Dear customer,

Since board was RMA tested passed all programs before send back, I'm not able to verify if there has error in current Windows power management or issue was unstable hard drive. Per my suggestion you only need to do one test, no component need to purchase.

Reset bios to load optimized default, no power setting change in bios ( use defaults setting ). disconnect current hard drive, plug in a spare hard drive do a clean install Windows 10 and load all drivers belong to MB and check if system will runs fine.

Test with a spare drive is last conclusion. If issue verified to be MB please go for the 2nd RMA request.

Best regard,

GIGABYTE technical support team.

kokaloiatros

17 ตุลาคม 2560 22:56
  • Second RMA with motherboard replacement. So far, so good. If problem persists, RMA RAM even though it has passed all tests: Memtest86+ and Windows Memory Diagnostic several times on each of two sticks of memory individually and combined.

There has to be a better diagnostic process that this. The cost involved, in spite of warranties for shipping the items for RMA adds up quickly. Purchasing extra hard drives to test theories or possibilities contributes to the cost. These costs do not include the hassle factors of the computer being down and doing and re doing the rebuild of the computer.

Technicians somehow believe that even if you build a single personal computer, you should have spare parts like PSUs, CPUs, motheboards, RAM, and hard drives lying around as extras for testing. And that is stupid all by itself. 

I don't know what tests PC Doctor runs on the motherboard; and as it seems to have been a motherboard problem so far, something in their testing should have picked up the problem, in my opinion. This evolution in computers appears to have a flaw. In the end. one can only keep swapping parts until one comes across the correct part causing the problem.

kokaloiatros

19 พฤศจิกายน 2560 16:20
  • I have experienced the exact same symptoms that you have reported.  I have ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard and think that might be my problem as well.  I was wondering if you have had any further issues since you replaced your 2nd motherboard?
    • แก้ไขโดย kfraser5280 17 กุมภาพันธ์ 2561 20:22
    17 กุมภาพันธ์ 2561 20:20
  • I have not had any issues since Gigabyte replaced the motherboard. But, before that, I replaced the power supply, replaced the hard drive, pulled the graphics card, swapped out the DVD burner, swapped out the CPU with Intel, removed the extra cooling component for the CPU, checked and rechecked the RAM until I thought I would puke.

Seems all so strange that all went well until the components were about 7 moths old. Same strength power supply. Same extra optical Hard drive. Why would the power be an issue? Even removing the graphics card did not help. Did not make sense. But that's what they make you go through. Shipping the parts back and forth is not cheap either.

kokaloiatros

17 กุมภาพันธ์ 2561 23:38
  • For anyone having problems with BSOD please create a new thread and post logs for troubleshooting.  Place a link into this thread.

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag file needs to be found and saved manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

18 กุมภาพันธ์ 2561 1:07
  • I am having Windows 10 crashing problems and have created a new threaad here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/864cdcf6-f7b9-47a3-92a1-f3fe540776f1/windows-10-crashes-no-bsod?forum=win10itprogeneral

Can you take a look and help me out?

Thanks.

Sam

23 พฤษภาคม 2561 12:46
  • Sam,

I had the same issues and not much help except generally everything pointing to a hardware issue.

All I can tell you is that after I jumped through all the hoops, returned hardware on RMAs, (which was not cheap since I had to pay for the shipping), waited to have parts shipped back unless I secured return of the original part by credit card, I finally convinced the MOBO manufacturer to replace the motherboard. So much for the warranties! I swapped and replaced PSU, replace CPU, removed graphics card, tried another new hard drive, replaced DVD drive, tested and retested all the RAM several times. It was the motherboard! I literally thought I would lose my mind.

The idea that everyone has spare parts for every component in your PC is over the top. If you did have all the spare parts, your name would be a commercial manufacturer.

kokaloiatros

23 พฤษภาคม 2561 19:57