none
Mapped network drive loses connection after restart RRS feed

• คำถาม

• Good afternoon Technet experts,

I'm having an strange issue on my users regarding a mapped network drive that requires user/password credentials. After restarting the machine, mapped drive appears with a X. To access it again user must first access it via Windows Explorer (typing \\path\folder) then inserting credentials then try to map it again. Without trying to access on Windows Explorer first makes the mapping to fail.

Mapping is always done marking Windows to preserve credentials and reconnect after restart, but looks like it's not preserved as it should. 

Is there something else I must do to preserve those credentials and mapped folder?

Thank you very much!

23 เมษายน 2561 16:25

คำตอบ

• Actually add the /delete switch will be completely work. From my test, no matter you add or remove the /delete switch, they both worked.

Because when the mapped drive with red x showing in Explorer, you can directly enter the command below to remap it, so the /delete switch is not necessary.

net use G: \\<path>\folder /user:<user> <password> /persistent:yes

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย vivian_zhouMicrosoft 27 เมษายน 2561 2:06
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย wet_floor 2 พฤษภาคม 2561 13:15
    26 เมษายน 2561 1:08

ตอบทั้งหมด

• be sure old credentials are not saved in the windows salt vault.
    23 เมษายน 2561 16:36
  • be sure old credentials are not saved in the windows salt vault.

Hi The Grim,

In this case this is the first user/password those users have to access this folder. It's a new shared folder and user, recently created for this case. Only one domain login has credential do access this network folder, and that's the one we need users to enter/store to access it.

Thanks for the reply.  

23 เมษายน 2561 16:54
  • then make sure the salt is being saved correctly in the vault when you create the connection.

outdated A/V?

23 เมษายน 2561 17:17
  • then make sure the salt is being saved correctly in the vault when you create the connection.

outdated A/V?

I'm not sure I did understand the question, what do you mean by Outdated A/V?

23 เมษายน 2561 20:15
  • does the machine have a/v installed? is it out of it's service contract? does the a/v lock down computer access if it is outside of its service contract?
    23 เมษายน 2561 21:12
  • Hi,

If you double click the drive with red x, will it be auto mapped again? 

Did the problem happen on every domain users, on every domain joined machine?

What if use the command line to map the drive?

Open cmd as administrator and type net use

z:\\IPaddress /persistent:yes 

username and password: username\password

This is expected when the machine doesn't have connectivity to the shares during logon. So it is suggested that you can update your network card driver and enable the policy

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon 

If nothing helps, there is a work around for you:

Create a logon script to help you map the drive, below is the reference:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1487-how-to-create-a-batch-file-for-network-drive-mapping

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

24 เมษายน 2561 5:48
  • Hi,

If you double click the drive with red x, will it be auto mapped again? 

Did the problem happen on every domain users, on every domain joined machine?

What if use the command line to map the drive?

Open cmd as administrator and type net use

z:\\IPaddress /persistent:yes 

username and password: username\password

This is expected when the machine doesn't have connectivity to the shares during logon. So it is suggested that you can update your network card driver and enable the policy

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon 

If nothing helps, there is a work around for you:

Create a logon script to help you map the drive, below is the reference:

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/1487-how-to-create-a-batch-file-for-network-drive-mapping

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Hi vivian_zhou,

Answering your questions:

1. When user starts the machine, that specific mapped drive (and only it) appears with a X. Double clicking to reactivate it doesn't works, to reach it out again user must type the address on Windows Explorer then authenticate. Then, double-clicking on the mapped drive will work.

2. Not every machine because we haven't tested on all of them, but every that does use this mapped drive happens this. On other mapped drives their own windows domain account has permission, so that doesn't happen.

3. Mapping on that form works, but after restart the problem persists. 

4. This case, a GPO can solve the issue? Is there anyway to test this locally without using the GPO? Like Local Security Policy?

Thanks for the link, for this bat, is it better to first disconnect the drive then re-connect it on start? 

Thanks for the reply!

24 เมษายน 2561 11:11
  • does the machine have a/v installed? is it out of it's service contract? does the a/v lock down computer access if it is outside of its service contract?

If A/V is Anti-Virus, it's updated and the contract is ok. The problem is that other network mapped drives work, only this one doesn't properly. 

The only difference between those is that user's own domain account has access, and the not working one uses a different user/password on logon.

24 เมษายน 2561 11:13
  • Hi,

I have the same result as you. And the problem still exists on windows 10 1709.

Since then, it is suggested that you can use the logon script to help you resolve the issue.

The workaround will automatically execute when the user login , and in this way, you don't have to type the address in explorer to re-map it.

Thanks for your time and cooperation. Also I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย vivian_zhouMicrosoft 25 เมษายน 2561 6:13
    25 เมษายน 2561 6:12
  • Hi,

I have the same result as you. And the problem still exists on windows 10 1709.

Since then, it is suggested that you can use the logon script to help you resolve the issue.

The workaround will automatically execute when the user login , and in this way, you don't have to type the address in explorer to re-map it.

Thanks for your time and cooperation. Also I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Vivian,

Ok I'll proceed like you said using a logon script. Do you think it's necessary to include on this same login a disconnect before remapping? Just to make sure that "driver already mapped" doesn't appear to our users.

For example:

@ECHO OFF
    net use G: /delete
    EXIT

Thank you very much!

• แก้ไขโดย wet_floor 25 เมษายน 2561 14:23 Include a script to make the example clearer
    25 เมษายน 2561 14:12
  • Actually add the /delete switch will be completely work. From my test, no matter you add or remove the /delete switch, they both worked.

Because when the mapped drive with red x showing in Explorer, you can directly enter the command below to remap it, so the /delete switch is not necessary.

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย vivian_zhouMicrosoft 27 เมษายน 2561 2:06
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย wet_floor 2 พฤษภาคม 2561 13:15
    26 เมษายน 2561 1:08
  • Hi,

Did you resolve the problem?

It is appreciated that you can mark it as an answer if the suggestions did any help.

27 เมษายน 2561 2:08
  • Hi,

Did you resolve the problem?

It is appreciated that you can mark it as an answer if the suggestions did any help.

Hi Vivian, thank you very much for waiting my reply. It did work perfectly! I did mark as answer and vote up to thank you properly here. :)
    2 พฤษภาคม 2561 13:16
  • Microsoft is unable many years solve such basic functionality as network drive mapping. Have this problem many years, on every windows. Unbelieveble. Batch are not solution and do not work correctly too.
    7 ตุลาคม 2561 7:25
  • I agree. It is ridiculous. They not only have not fixed the problem, it seems with every new operating system release they have done things to exacerbate it. It first started with wireless connections because of the delay of network connectivity. Then as systems got faster Microsoft simultaneously started adding steps to the network connectivity process like checking for internet connection. I remember 20 years ago talking to Microsoft about this issue and you know what they said? They asked me what I had been doing to address the problem and I told them I was creating a batch file using the net use command and placing it in the startup folder. They responded since I had found a workaround to the problem it did not rise to the level of them addressing it at the Operating System level. It was on that day I realized that it would be the beginning of Microsoft ignoring problems rather than fixing them. Many applications that look to their database on the server can avoid failure because they now support UNC data paths eliminating the need for a mapped drive. But there are still a considerable amount of applications that still require drive mapping. This is something that should have been addressed and resolved 20 years ago and they have failed to do so. Not because they are incapable, but rather they simply don’t care because they are perfectly content to let users find workarounds to their short comings. It has only got worse since Billy Boy quit being involved in the day to day operations of Microsoft. Then again it may be that he was the one that introduced mediocracy as the acceptable level of standard at Microsoft. This issue is but one of many that could have, but was not ever addressed.

• แก้ไขโดย dantampa 4 พฤศจิกายน 2562 11:35
    4 พฤศจิกายน 2562 11:32