none
blank screens and unresponsive PC as if asleep - 1809 RRS feed

• คำถาม

• I have about 60 PCs in this office. Suddenly after many years of working great these 1809 systems of 4 model types are seemly going to sleep. They are set to never sleep. Typically the user locks their PC before leaving their office. When they return both monitors are dark and the PC does not respond, except to shut them down via the power button. I have not yet attempted a remote login via RDP.

I have seen this now on two of the newest models. I have had four instances of this. Others may not have called for IT and simply rebooted. All of these units are scanned for both Dell and MS updates every month using the 30 day delay. We like to opt out of the public beta testing phase in hopes that the updates get fixed during the 30 day delay. 

All of these PCs have a video card with one monitor on the card and one monitor on the native video out.

I have no way of troubleshooting because they work great after being rebooted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kurt

• แก้ไขโดย Swain IT 3 กรกฎาคม 2562 12:39 add detail
    3 กรกฎาคม 2562 12:37

คำตอบ

• I managed to get this escalated to engineering support at Dell. They told me about a hard to find utility for Dell Windows Ten PCs.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311129/dell-command-update?lang=en

If you search your model driver download, they still had the old 2.x version posted. You must go to the link above.

On the first usage, only, there will be an option at the bottom for download the entire library. Use that option. Then, post upgrades run it again the normal way to catch an loose ends as the libraries are often not yet updated.

So far, we have not had any black screen issues. Apparently this tool removes all prior drivers and attempts to get the known good drivers installed and completed in a specific order. This is necessary because of the extremely poor QA at Microsoft. They saved a ton of $ by gutting their QA and forcing public beta testing on the rest of us. I look forward to the day that a real OS replaces this poser OS.

Long live Demming's theory of QA. May those who reject QA theory reap what they sow.

Regards,

KA

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Swain IT 12 สิงหาคม 2562 12:25
    12 สิงหาคม 2562 12:25

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hi,

According to your description, I suggest you:

1.Run the power troubleshooter and check if that helps:

a. In the search box, type ‘Troubleshooting’, and choose Troubleshoot settings.

b. Click on ‘Power ‘click on next to run the troubleshooter.

2.Update video driver

3.Run sfc /scannow command to check if any corrupted system files

4.Perform a clean boot.

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

4 กรกฎาคม 2562 16:51
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Thanks David,

Yes, we checked all the obvious stuff, prior to reaching out. It seems to be related to the latest drivers from MS and Dell.

I had 3 failures just this morning. In one case it was just one monitor. The fix was strange, disable the Intel video embedded mobo driver! Yep! That fixed the problem and the fix was repeatable.

In the second case both monitors were dark. Much to my surprise, turning the monitor on/off/on/off fixed the problem, but that is NOT always the case.

I tried to phone Dell twice to inquire about known driver issues. The techs hung up on me twice. Guess it would have messed up their ratings to take on a long case. I'll try Dell once more before reaching out to the Government channel for better results.

The hunt continues. This was not happening prior to the latest MS/Dell updates, but which update? Dell had critical BIOS updates in addition to software drivers.

8 กรกฎาคม 2562 20:26
  • The hunt continues. This was not happening prior to the latest MS/Dell updates, but which update? Dell had critical BIOS updates in addition to software drivers.

Frequently, this problem occurs from the software drivers, check if there are any software driver update installed on these machines (directly or with Dell Assistant), especially the graphical card and BIOS drivers.

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

8 กรกฎาคม 2562 20:48
  • Yes, the Dell bios, Dell drivers, and MS WinX updates all happened. It is not possible to determine which update was defective.

9 กรกฎาคม 2562 12:00
  • Yes, the Dell bios, Dell drivers, and MS WinX updates all happened. It is not possible to determine which update was defective.

Unfortunately, It is not possible, the only way is to uninstall one by one and check on the same time.
    9 กรกฎาคม 2562 13:11
  • I managed to get this escalated to engineering support at Dell. They told me about a hard to find utility for Dell Windows Ten PCs.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311129/dell-command-update?lang=en

If you search your model driver download, they still had the old 2.x version posted. You must go to the link above.

On the first usage, only, there will be an option at the bottom for download the entire library. Use that option. Then, post upgrades run it again the normal way to catch an loose ends as the libraries are often not yet updated.

So far, we have not had any black screen issues. Apparently this tool removes all prior drivers and attempts to get the known good drivers installed and completed in a specific order. This is necessary because of the extremely poor QA at Microsoft. They saved a ton of $ by gutting their QA and forcing public beta testing on the rest of us. I look forward to the day that a real OS replaces this poser OS.

Long live Demming's theory of QA. May those who reject QA theory reap what they sow.

Regards,

KA

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Swain IT 12 สิงหาคม 2562 12:25
    12 สิงหาคม 2562 12:25
  • We have had a Dell support person assigned to this defect. They replaced one mobo and add on video card. They took the units back to the Dell lab for analysis. This did not fix the problem. We retained the hard drive in this system.

Next, we swapped out both monitors. Stay tuned... 11\60 PCs have these mystery sleeping video issues. Some more often than others.

Command 3.0.1 did not solve this issue. We used the option to update the entire lib. Then update again for newer updates not listed in the catalog.

17 ตุลาคม 2562 13:08