none
Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4074598) Installation status: Failed Error details: Code 80070643 RRS feed

• Soru

• Hi there, for a few days now I've had the Windows 7 Update shield next to my Shut Down button no matter how many times it is "installed". Looking in the Update History, I found the title of this post and pasted it. It has failed multiple attempts to install. I  have tried the Windows update troubleshooter and that didn't work so I then tried to open CMD and type the command Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak (as instructed by https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors) but then was  hit with "Access Denied" in the CMD. 

I think it is also having an effect on my internet as it has been terribly slow when trying to use my PC for online gaming.

My specs:

Windows 7 x64

Nvidia Asus Geforce 970 OC

Intel i7 860 2.8 ghz 

14gb DDR3 Ram

I would be grateful for any help. Thank you.

1 Mart 2018 Perşembe 02:04

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Hi,

Seems that you can't correctly install the update kb 4074598. Have you tried to install it manually from here ?

If you encounter the problem when you manually install the update, please let me know at which part did you have the error, during download or install or configuration.

If you check for update in Control Panel>windows update, please also let me know at which part did you have the error.

Here are some steps that you can do to troubleshoot the problem:

1.Perform a clean boot to disable the third-party software conflict.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

2. Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) by taking following these steps:

2.1 Open an administrative Command Prompt window.

2.2 Type following command and then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

2.3  After the scan is finished, try to install updates again.

4. Reset the Windows Update Components, please refer the following link.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

5.Go to services.msc  and find BITS and Windows Update, stop them.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution”.C:\Windows\System32\catroot2

Delete all the content in this folder. (Some files may not be deleted.Just ensure to delete “Download” and “DeliveryOptimation”.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2 Mart 2018 Cuma 02:50
  • Hi,

Any updates?

If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

5 Mart 2018 Pazartesi 01:44
  • Hi Vivian,

I have followed literally ALL your recommendations (Steps One through Five) as suggested in your post.  Nothing works.  The following Windows updates download and install, but fail during the configuration process:

2018-02  Preview of Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7, 64bit (KB4075211)

2018-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7, 64bit (KB4074598)

2018-03 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7, 64bit (KB4088875)

All other Windows updates download, install and configure as expected so there is nothing wrong with the Windows Update components, although I have reset them as you suggest in Step 4.  I have tried to install each of the above updates several times with no success.  I have also run full virus/malware scans -- Microsoft Security Essentials (twice) and Microsoft Safety Scanner (also twice).  MSE detected and removed a Trojan and the computer is now clear, but the updates continue to fail during the configuration stage (which takes FOREVER!).  I'm hoping that someone at Microsoft will be able to fix this, or find a workaround, hopefully sometime before the Security Monthly Quality Rollup is rolled out for April 2018.

14 Mart 2018 Çarşamba 05:07
  • Hi,

Go to device Manager to see if there is any unknown device there. If so, update their drivers and make sure all the drivers are up to date.

Then try again.

14 Mart 2018 Çarşamba 09:50
  • There is one "unknown" device, the Lenovo Touch Pad, disabled since September 2013 because I use a wireless mouse, and has never impacted Windows updates in the past 4 1/2 years.  Nevertheless, I tried downloading the 2018-02 Security Monthly Quality Rollup (KB4074598) yet again with the same result -- the update failed in the configuration stage.

I am wondering if the 2018-02 and 2018-03 Monthly rollups and the 2018-02 Preview (KB4075211) have failed because they are not intended for this computer (Lenovo ThinkPad Edge, E531).  Each of these updates includes the following notice from Microsoft:  "Because of an issue that affects some versions of antivirus software, this fix is being applied only to the computers on which the antivirus ISV have updated the ALLOW REGKEY".  I do not use antivirus software like McAfee and others -- I use only Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft Safety Scanner, both of which have served me well, having had only one virus since 2013, successfully detected and deleted by MSE.

• Düzenleyen vmclose 14 Mart 2018 Çarşamba 19:04
    14 Mart 2018 Çarşamba 18:44