none
Dual booting 2 instances of Windows 7 (one 32 bit + one 64 bits) on same computer for upgrade 32 bits -> 64 bits RRS feed

• Soru

• I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate and I want to migrate my computer from Windows 7 32 Bits to 64 bits.

Because I am doing this on my main computer (from which I make a living), I want to eliminate any possible downtime.  What I would like to do it to be able is to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits as a separate instance on a separate hard drive (a new SSD) on the same machine using the same product key as the current Windows 7 Ultimate instance I am currently running.

From there, I am planning to install all my applications and do the required testing and fix any problems I have before migrating all my documents and finally wiping out the 32 bit instance.

So... how do I do that?

- Is it possible to run two instances of Windows 7 on the same computer in a dual boot configuration using the same product key?

- If not, can I install Windows 7 64 bits and enter the product key later when I have wiped out the 32 bits instance?  If that is possible, how long is the "grace period"?

- What's the process to create a dual boot configuration?

Thank you.

Denis

26 Mayıs 2011 Perşembe 16:05

Yanıtlar

• You did not assume wrongly, the retail upgrade package will let you "upgrade" your XP to either 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 - depending on your hardware.  And they both use the same product key...

You can do what you're wanting to do, just don't enter the product key for the second installation.  You'll then have 30 days to enter it and activate (or to remove it if you decide you don't want it.)  

You'll have to remove the 32-bit version before you activate the 64-bit one, and you'll probably have to activate by phone.

The grace period is 30 days - which should be more than enough time to make sure everything's stable, but you can re-arm it three additional times to give you up to 120 days.

26 Mayıs 2011 Perşembe 19:02
  • On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:39:51 +0000, denisrc wrote:

Huuum... my Windows 7 package is an "upgrade" package and it came with both the 32 and 64 bits DVD's.  So I assume (wrongly?) that it would let me upgrade from XP (32 bits) to Windows 7 either 32 or 64 bits.

Two points:

1. An upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is not possible. You either
    have to clean install Windows 7, or go through the intermediate step
    of upgrading to Vista, and then Windows 7 (not recommended; doing two
    upgrades doubles the risk of problems).

2. An upgrade that changes the "bitness" (from 32-bit to 64-bit or
    vice-versa) of any version of Windows is not possible. The only way to
    get there is by doing a clean installation.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    27 Mayıs 2011 Cuma 11:19

Tüm Yanıtlar

• u can have two windows 7 in the same computer. however product key is diffent for 64bit and 32bit. you do have grace period of 120 days. u need to contact ur vendor for 64bit product key. 

26 Mayıs 2011 Perşembe 16:09
  • Huuum... my Windows 7 package is an "upgrade" package and it came with both the 32 and 64 bits DVD's.  So I assume (wrongly?) that it would let me upgrade from XP (32 bits) to Windows 7 either 32 or 64 bits.
    26 Mayıs 2011 Perşembe 18:39
  • You did not assume wrongly, the retail upgrade package will let you "upgrade" your XP to either 32- or 64-bit Windows 7 - depending on your hardware.  And they both use the same product key...

You can do what you're wanting to do, just don't enter the product key for the second installation.  You'll then have 30 days to enter it and activate (or to remove it if you decide you don't want it.)  

You'll have to remove the 32-bit version before you activate the 64-bit one, and you'll probably have to activate by phone.

The grace period is 30 days - which should be more than enough time to make sure everything's stable, but you can re-arm it three additional times to give you up to 120 days.

26 Mayıs 2011 Perşembe 19:02
  • On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:39:51 +0000, denisrc wrote:

Huuum... my Windows 7 package is an "upgrade" package and it came with both the 32 and 64 bits DVD's.  So I assume (wrongly?) that it would let me upgrade from XP (32 bits) to Windows 7 either 32 or 64 bits.

Two points:

1. An upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is not possible. You either
    have to clean install Windows 7, or go through the intermediate step
    of upgrading to Vista, and then Windows 7 (not recommended; doing two
    upgrades doubles the risk of problems).

2. An upgrade that changes the "bitness" (from 32-bit to 64-bit or
    vice-versa) of any version of Windows is not possible. The only way to
    get there is by doing a clean installation.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    27 Mayıs 2011 Cuma 11:19