none
DWM crashing intermittently when connected via RDP on windows 10 RRS feed

• Soru

• I'm using a remote desktop and DWM is crashing on remote machine, disconnecting the RDP session and wiping all the open windows, forcing me to start over when reconnecting to the machine. The machine itself is still operational and responsive.

The DWM is a candidate culprit, since it's a consistent signature when the crashes occur.

This has been happening since the last upgrade that I installed on Monday.

Remote machine info:

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 1903

Installed on 29.7.2019

OS build 18362.267

DWM event viewer entry (there's multiple like this):

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x6468b8f9
    Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x216e9e9f
    Exception code: 0xc00001ad
    Fault offset: 0x000000000015b68a
    Faulting process id: 0x19f8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d547866e3d808a
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
    Report Id: 84fec3f8-481d-4fb6-b10c-5437edae6d95
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

31 Temmuz 2019 Çarşamba 15:00

Yanıtlar

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Exception code: 0xc00001ad = STATUS_FATAL_MEMORY_EXHAUSTION
    "The process has terminated because it could not allocate additional memory."
    when you changed the default settings for virtual memory: undo the changes

Else I would suspect the graphic card driver.
    Did you update to latest version?
    What manufacturer and type is it?

31 Temmuz 2019 Çarşamba 18:52
  • Hi,

> This has been happening since the last upgrade that I installed on Monday.
    I want to confirm with you if you mean update installation or system upgrade from previous version to 1903? 

If problem happens after specific update installation, if possible, please try to manually un-install it, or restore from available system backup to undo the change, and check the result. It would be helpful to identify whether it is specific update relate problem. 

>DWM event viewer entry
    What is the remote system OS version? Have you confirm that if such problem also happens if establish remote desktop connection from Windows 10 to another system? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

1 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 06:36
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang  

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

5 Ağustos 2019 Pazartesi 02:05
  • On the current installation, I didn't change the virtual memory settings.

I went to My PC > Advanced system settings > advanced > performance settings > advanced

And it says Total paging size for all drives: 4864 MB. Over 4 gigabytes should be enough for dwm, right? Apart from that, the machine has 32 GB RAM, of which around 20 GB is used, so over 10 GB overhead. Should I look for any out of memory reports in the event viewer?

The graphics card is an nvidia secondary (not CPU integrated) in a laptop and I haven't touched the drivers since installing windows 10 one year ago. Are there any indices I can look for that would prove that my drivers are killing dwm?

All of this is related to the remote machine.

6 Ağustos 2019 Salı 08:55
  • I think it was a  system upgrade, since it had the whole "Hello, we're setting things up for you" and it took one hour. And it also asked me if I wanted to start the upgrade instead of just doing it when I wasn't looking.

The remote system OS version as I can see it is listed in the original post under "Remote machine info", that's all I know about it so far, if you have anything more specific in mind, let me know.

This is the only system I'm using remote with, apart from some windows server machines via mRemoteNG - those haven't exhibited the crash. I don't know how much of an indicator this is, but I have nothing else to test with here - these are the only two machines I'm using. If it helps, I was using the remote machine physically yesterday (without RDP)  and the symptoms didn't appear. Today I'm using it via RDP again and it crashed twice.

6 Ağustos 2019 Salı 09:06
  • I'm seeing exactly the same thing using Windows 10 1903 to RDP to a laptop that is also Windows 10 1903.

Laptop is plugged into AC, sleep disabled when on AC, lid up/lid down, doesn't matter.  DWM.exe crashes when I click away from the RDP session, not necessary when I am actively using it.

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x6468b8f9
    Faulting module name: dwmcore.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0x216e9e9f
    Exception code: 0xc00001ad
    Fault offset: 0x000000000015b68a
    Faulting process id: 0x1cd4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d54c7e9c9e308d
    Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwm.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwmcore.dll
    Report Id: ff0ed633-76da-4605-a8a9-f0ca653c08b6
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I used this exact same setup for ages with previous versions of Windows 10.  As soon as I updated to 1903 on the remote machine (laptop), this started happening.  Remote machine is a Lenovo P50 with 64GB of RAM. 

BIOS updated, drivers updated, all windows updates taken.

6 Ağustos 2019 Salı 17:56
  • Hi,

If possible, please re-boot both local and remote system in Clean Boot, and establish remote desktop connection, only open system built-in applications and confirm that if same problem happens again.

If problem does not happens in clean boot, we can try to narrow down the problem via 3rd party process. 

Besides, in order to have further identification about the crush problem, dump file collection and analyzing should be necessary. 

How to read the small memory dump file that is created by Windows if a crash occurs:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren Daveoc64 27 Ekim 2019 Pazar 22:27
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan Daveoc64 27 Ekim 2019 Pazar 22:27
    7 Ağustos 2019 Çarşamba 07:58
  • Since this is a work machine, I can't do the clean boot test during the week, since I neeed to work on the machine and I can't do that if I have no applications open. I'll do the test during the weekend, the results will be available on Monday at the earliest.

I'll enable the dumps as well, although I doubt I'll be able to read much from them, is there anywhere you would prefer for me to upload them for further analysis?

8 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 05:36
  • Okay, I disabled startup programs, reset the machines and ran the test yesterday and today. Test was simply connect to RDP and let it run.

Yesterday I had multiple disconnects due to inactivity, but no DWM crash, today at first there appeared to be no DWM crash either, so I tried opening a large amount of explorer windows, whcih worked for a few minutes until explorer crashed (there were a lot of windows). Still no DWM crash.

After that I tried something else - I opened some explorer windows and multiple other applications that came with windows 10, such as clock, people, calendar and similar. DWM crash occurred a few minutes later with the same symptoms as before.

This indicates that we're not dealing with DWM crash caused by many third party applications open, but rather a DWM crash caused by many different applications open.

I would also like to point out a sister thread on answers forum where 10 other people marked it as having the same issue and one person reported the same issue in detail. This coupled with one more report of the same issue in this thread confirms that it isn't a one-off, nor is it site specific. It is a real problem with DWM.exe, introduced with windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.267

I gathered some crash dumps from two separate crashes, one on Friday and one today and uploaded them to OneDrive, since it doesn't seem that this troubleshooting forum has a facility to share troubleshooting files such as dumps.

Can you please get someone with access to DWM source code to take a look at the dumps and devise a fix?

I would also add links to onedrive file and the sister thread if the forum let me :)

11 Ağustos 2019 Pazar 17:20
  • I too appear to be having this issue after no changes to my system but a Windows 1903 update. Random disconnects from Remote Desktop that don't shutdown my remote machine but simply log it out due to dwm.exe crashing with the same memory allocation issues mentioned above.

Plenty of memory/disk/virtual memory. No reason this should be happening but it is incredibly disruptive to being able to reliably use RDP to work.

13 Ağustos 2019 Salı 19:25

• Hello!

I am a Russian-speaking user and faced the exact same problem. I created a topic on the Microsoft Answers forum about this situation on July 17th.: https://answers.microsoft.com/ru-ru/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-после/02b75eaf-ec56-411e-aff7-274405cc8bce

The problem is exactly the same: when RDP connected to a remote machine that is updated to version Win 1903 (my build was 18362.239), the process dwm.exe periodically crashes on the remote machine and all running programs are closed. In the event viewer I have the same logs with the same Exception code: 0xc00001ad.

I could not find a solution to this problem and was forced to roll back to version 1809. It is extremely important for me to work with this computer through the RDP and I cannot work with a constant loss of progress.

If the problem is resolved, please let me know.

Best regards, Ivan. 

14 Ağustos 2019 Çarşamba 16:31
  • I just installed Win 10 1903 18362.295, the problem is still present: dwm.exe is crashing when RDP connected.
    • Yanıt Olarak Öneren David Land 16 Ağustos 2019 Cuma 21:53
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan David Land 16 Ağustos 2019 Cuma 21:53
    15 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 08:17
  • To follow up the 1903 update rolled back my NVidia video drivers to a very old version. Updating them again to more recent ones have stopped this issue.

I have heard similar cases with intel video drivers.

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren David Land 16 Ağustos 2019 Cuma 21:53
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan Gospor 17 Ağustos 2019 Cumartesi 12:45
    • Yanıt Önerisini Geri Alan Gospor 22 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 08:41
    16 Ağustos 2019 Cuma 21:53
  • I'm afraid this hasn't worked for me.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers listed on the nvisia page for my quadro K610M, the version information for the current drivers is the following:

Version: R418 U6 (426.00) WHQL
    Release Date: 2019.7.31

I made sure that system information from the nvidia control panel shows the same driver version.

After I installed the new drivers, I reproduced the crash once, then rebooted (just in case) and reproduced the problem again.

17 Ağustos 2019 Cumartesi 12:45
  • I've checked my drivers and amount of virtual memory.

I wonder if its the screen saver coming on? on the computer I'm RDP'ing into?

Also the number of screens I'm used - two x 4k screens on my desktop, remote desktoping into my laptop.

This configuration has worked fine for years until 1903 was installed. Very annoying. I use my laptop for convenience because I work in two offices. Do I have to set up a desktop in each office because I can't RDP to my laptop?

21 Ağustos 2019 Çarşamba 10:46
  • I too am having the same problem at work where everyone RDP's.  I've disabled all the usual culprits for DWM issues such as the lock screen background and set everything to highest performance while dumbing down other graphics settings.  Doesn't seem to matter, as the DWM for the users ends up spiking in CPU and causing the computer to slow to a crawl and eventually crash.  I can sometimes log in as the admin and kill the dwm process that's using high CPU usage and that will generally allow them to reconnect again, but it will come right back once they disconnect and reconnect after that.  This leads to me either logging in or rebooting their VM's from the KVM console a few times a day per person.  And yes, this started happening after upgrading to 1903.
    21 Ağustos 2019 Çarşamba 15:46
  • When updateing you graphics driver does not help, you could try the same group policy described for a similar issue with Intel GPU's:
    DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote Desktop Disconnect on Windows 10 x64 1903 (Fully Patched)

Local Computer Policy

Computer Configuration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Remote Desktop Service

Remote Desktop Session Host

Remote Session Environment

Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections

to DISABLED

• Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Gospor 2 Eylül 2019 Pazartesi 21:16
    21 Ağustos 2019 Çarşamba 17:24
  • I already replied to David's post but it somehow got deleted :)

Unfortunately this didn't work for me.

My graphics card's latest drivers as seen on nvidia website:

Version:     R418 U6 (426.00)  WHQL
    Release Date:     2019.7.31

I installed the drivers, made sure they're 426.00 on the nVidia control panel, reproduced the problem with the above test, rebooted (just in case) and reproduced the problem again.

For two days (tuesday and wednesday) the problem didn't appear, but it crashed again today, so maybe we succeeded in kicking the can down the road, but in essence it's still broken.

I'm trying out disabling the WDDM graphics for RDP that EckiS suggested now and I'll see what happens.

• Düzenleyen Gospor 22 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 09:03 clarifying whose post I replied to, since this wonderful forum can't clearly outline it.
    22 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 09:01
  • I <3 you for this.  This fixed the issue.
    22 Ağustos 2019 Perşembe 19:24
  • This seems to be a viable workaround, after I set this variable and restarted the remote machine, the problem hasn't occurred in more than a week.

Thanks Eckis!

2 Eylül 2019 Pazartesi 21:16
  • When updateing you graphics driver does not help, you could try the same group policy described for a similar issue with Intel GPU's:
    DWM.EXE High CPU (One Core) On Target System after Remote Desktop Disconnect on Windows 10 x64 1903 (Fully Patched)

Local Computer Policy

Computer Configuration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Remote Desktop Service

Remote Desktop Session Host

Remote Session Environment

Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections

to DISABLED

This worked for me.

Note: I needed to apply this to the Remote Computer that I RDP into. Not the local computer.

The specific issue that caused the crash was when the RDP window was minimised into the task bar. After about 15 to 30 minutes it would crash close with the dwm.exe error in the logs.

6 Ekim 2019 Pazar 01:14
  • The latest Windows Preview Update Build 19002.vb_release.191010-1436 has seem to fix this for me.

I can now remove the Group Policy for Use WDDM graphics display driver for Remote Desktop Connections

23 Ekim 2019 Çarşamba 02:27
  • I have just updated to Windows Preview Update Build 19008.vb_release.191019-1715 which has reintroduced the error.

Even if I set the WDDM Graphics display to disabled it still doesn't work.

24 Ekim 2019 Perşembe 12:00
  • Probably help using: Remote Desktop (Microsoft)
    10 Kasım 2019 Pazar 10:17
  • I started experiencing this behavior last week when I was updated early last week to Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609.  I updated my group policy as described above, and now I get an error "An internal error has occurred" when I attempt to RDP into the machine.  
    18 Kasım 2019 Pazartesi 18:41
  • Same Issue after updating to 19013.vb_release.191025-1609

Pär Rohlin

• Düzenleyen Per Rohlin 19 Kasım 2019 Salı 16:40
    19 Kasım 2019 Salı 16:39
  • Almost same issue after updating to 19013.vb_release.191025-1609- different exception code  0xe0464645 and offset 0x000000000010a7bc. Seems to happen every time I minimize the rdp client.
    21 Kasım 2019 Perşembe 16:31
  • you should post this in the insider forum.
    21 Kasım 2019 Perşembe 16:42