none
half of desktop unusable RRS feed

• Soru

• This has happened 3 or 4 times now, and each time I give up trying to fix it and reboot. All my windows will be moved to the left half of the screen. If I try to move a window to the right side it 'snaps' when it gets halfway across the screen. If I open any program it opens on the left half. The right half is empty and nothing can be placed there. The mouse still goes over there, the clock can be opened, but icons cannot be moved. It is like my desktop ends in the exact middle of the screen. Trying Windows + P for extend/duplicate does not change anything. I usually seem to be doing something with the Start Menu when this happens. I imagine I am accidentally hitting a Start + something shortcut combo. 

Does anyone know what I am triggering and how to get out of it?

Windows 7 Pro, all updates, NOT dual-monitor.

20 Temmuz 2012 Cuma 22:28

Tüm Yanıtlar

• Right click on your task bar, if "undo side by side" show's, click to undo. If that aint it, sorry, dont know.
    21 Temmuz 2012 Cumartesi 00:51
  • Hi,

Firstly, please test the issue again in Clean Boot Mode.

If issue also occurs in Clean Boot Mode, please capture screenshots with the issue and post here for further research.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

23 Temmuz 2012 Pazartesi 08:26
    Moderatör
  • Does anyone know what I am triggering and how to get out of it?

Windows 7 Pro, all updates, NOT dual-monitor.

Is it possible that a program running "full screen" had anything to do with it?  be that a game or the few programs that run full screen instead of "windowed"?
    24 Temmuz 2012 Salı 03:53
  • larsel: I can do and undo side-by-side windows so I don't think that is the issue. When it happens the windows are not side-by-side, half my desktop just becomes unusable. No windows on that side.

psycogeec: If I go to full screen it just fills up the side of my desktop that works. I can alt-tab between windows and min/max windows, but none of them touch the other side. Even the snap snaps to the middle.

Jeremy_Wu: I can't re-create the problem and it only happens about once a week so killing all my start-up programs until it happens is not feasible. I get the impression that it is a Windows issue not a third-party program but I could be wrong.

24 Temmuz 2012 Salı 19:25
  • So, if I can understand, you have backlit only on half the monitor? (black screen)? The left is energized with windows and the right is blank?

Did you reset your monitor,Monitor setting button itself, back to default settings? (monitor buttons, factory setting)?

Can you move your mouse off the left side of the screen?

Are you using multiple monitors? (check windows display properties,)

The only way I have been able to reproduce this issue is by really distorting my monitor.(the monitor itself).

24 Temmuz 2012 Salı 20:54
  • So, if I can understand, you have backlit only on half the monitor? (black screen)? The left is energized with windows and the right is blank?

Did you reset your monitor,Monitor setting button itself, back to default settings? (monitor buttons, factory setting)?

Can you move your mouse off the left side of the screen?

Are you using multiple monitors? (check windows display properties,)

The only way I have been able to reproduce this issue is by really distorting my monitor.(the monitor itself).

The monitor works fine, the backlight is on everywhere, the screen can be seen but not used. I do not have dual monitors. Mouse and clock can be accessed but no windows can be moved or used on the right half of the screen. The right side shows the desktop but nothing can be moved over there. If I open a new program it only opens on the left half. If I try to move a program over to the right side it 'snaps' halfway across the screen as if my screen ended there. But the mouse travels over there just fine and can access the clock and taskbar.

I don't think anyone is going to believe me until I get a screenshot. The next time it happens I'll make sure to get one. I was hoping it was a shortcut setting I was triggering accidentally and someone would tell me how to turn off the 'feature'. If anyone knows of a feature that could result in the problems described I would be happy to hear it. Not 'snap' and not 'side by side', those work fine.

24 Temmuz 2012 Salı 21:34
  • Hi,

It is appreciated that if you can provide us screenshots when issue occurs.

In addition, you can kill all third-party processes one by one using Process Explorer to see if it can help you troubleshooting the issue.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

25 Temmuz 2012 Çarşamba 08:50
    Moderatör
  • I have the same problem. Abefroman11, what I have noticed is, I can move the window to my unused portion of the screen as long as the mouse pointer does not cross the imaginary line where the computer thinks the screen ends. This is very irritating. It happens after I have disconnected from dual monitor setup or projector. I havent yet figured out the solution. I don't even know good search terms for this problem, so haven't seen any solutions by googling. However, I am certain, I am not the only one with this problem ..
    3 Ağustos 2012 Cuma 19:31
  • I am having this issue to. Happened out of nowhere and this is the only time my google search turned up something relevant, and of course there is no answer.
    19 Ağustos 2012 Pazar 22:48
  • Well it finally happened again, so now I have a screenshot. Notice all icons were moved to center. Basically the left half of my screen cannot be used. The mouse goes over there, but windows do not. Sometimes everything moves to the right half, sometimes to the left half. Reboot is the only thing that seems to solve it. 

If I snap a program to the right side, it only takes up 1/4 of the screen. So Windows 7 is only recognizing half the screen. If I try to move a window to the left it snaps when the mouse touches dead center.

Feature or bug? 

24 Ekim 2012 Çarşamba 21:41
  • I am also having this problem 2 or 3 times in the last year after a reboot.  My issue is not side by side, but top of monitor becomes unusable like in your screenshot. I have a dual monitor setup, the other monitor's desktop works just fine.

13 Nisan 2013 Cumartesi 13:55
  • Sorry to drudge up an old thread, but this was one of the only relevant results I found via Google when searching for the issue I'm having, identical to the issues described here.

I haven't identified the exact issue, but it appears to happen when misbehaving programs enter full-screen mode and don't leave. Killing those programs seems to fix the issue, they were the chat client Pidgin and the notification server Snarl for me. Once I killed them window re-sizing went back to behaving normally.
    19 Mart 2015 Perşembe 20:09
  • Thanks for the post M Franklin.

I had the same problem described by a number of users on this post:

1. Running in extended desktop mode with a laptop and monitor.

2. Walk away from the computer and Windows would logout after a period of time.

3. When I got back in I would find that the right 1/3 of my screen was not usable.  The background was visible, I could move my mouse into the space and I could drag windows to this space.  But when I dropped or tried to resize a window into this forbidden zone, the window would snap back over to the 2/3 of the screen that was usable.

Very frustrating and could not find the correct search terms to find someone with the same problem.

Finally searched "windows 1/3 screen unusable" and found this page....

I do use Pidgin and your post gave me hope.....

Just went into task manager and killed the pidgin process (i think it was pidgin32.exe) and it worked!  I now have full use of my screen/workspace.  Great post - thanks.

• Yanıt Olarak Öneren johndpriest 10 Eylül 2016 Cumartesi 01:55
    10 Eylül 2016 Cumartesi 01:55
  • Thank you, killing Pidgin helped.
    12 Ocak 2018 Cuma 17:09
  • Thanks man, killing pidgin did it for me. Was tough finding this answer. Thanks again

11 Ocak 2019 Cuma 23:38
  • For me it was a chat program called Slack.  Killing that fixed the issue.
    16 Ekim 2019 Çarşamba 14:26