none
"Virtual machine could not be started because there is not enough physical memory or system resources available" and GooglecrashHandler.exe

Soru

• Hi,

I've noticed that I am receiving the error every time I attempt to start a virtual machine: "[Virtual Machine] could not be started because there is not enough physical memory or system resources available..." 

Doing some poking around, I've noticed that I can resolve this issue by terminating the application GoogleCrashHandler.exe (64-bit version) through task manager.  I completely resolved the issue by disabling "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google" through Chrome's configuration.

I wanted to report this so that if others are having issues, they at least know of a work around.  Also, I wanted to report this so that their could be a potential fix for this issue (I would really like to participate in sending Google my crash reports).

The version of Chrome I am using is: 16.0.912.77 m

03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 16:21

Yanıtlar

• Hi - I have the same problem. I'm using Chrome but GoogleCrashHandler doesn't appear in my apps or programs in Task Manager. I have loads of resource available - running no other programs, 4GB out of 6GB memory available, CPU 90% idle.  Two days ago Virtual PC was running fine, together with anything else I cared to run. But now it simply won't start.  

I have rolled back a major Windows update that I applied yesterday, but no difference. Obviously I've rebooted too. I'm out of ideas.

Any help gratefully received

Frances

Did you click the 'Show processes from all users' in the Processes tab in Task Manager

Also, disabling the "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google" feature and restarting your machine should fix this.

Edit: Actualy, I would do this method.  Chrome could restart this process if this feature is not turned off.
    • Düzenleyen Eric Swanson1 07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:33 change
    • Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Eric Swanson1 07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:39
    07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:31

Tüm Yanıtlar

• I also want to point out the obvious: Yes, I did have enough resources available at the time.
    03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 16:28
  • Thank you very much for posting the problem and workaround!

I think you'll have to talk to google about the problem in that
    software, it's likely a memory allocation error on their part.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 16:28
  • Well that could be true that there is something Google could do to assist with this issue... but I need to point out that other applications were able to start successfully, even resource hogs like Photoshop.

I have VirtualBox on my machine as well, so I will see if that is having issues and report my findings later.

I reported this issue to Google as well.

03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 16:59
  • It really depends on how the application looks at memory.  Nero used to "reserve" memory and prevent VPC from starting up.  It was fixed in later versions of Nero.

Photoshop doesn't need one big chunk of memory allocated at start up like a VM does.

03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 20:53
  • Alright, good to know! I also reported this issue to Google, so hopefully somebody will pick up the ball.  Thanks guys!
    03 Şubat 2012 Cuma 21:27
  • Hi - I have the same problem. I'm using Chrome but GoogleCrashHandler doesn't appear in my apps or programs in Task Manager. I have loads of resource available - running no other programs, 4GB out of 6GB memory available, CPU 90% idle.  Two days ago Virtual PC was running fine, together with anything else I cared to run. But now it simply won't start.  

I have rolled back a major Windows update that I applied yesterday, but no difference. Obviously I've rebooted too. I'm out of ideas.

Frances

07 Şubat 2012 Salı 13:10
  • Been having same problem with Windows Virtual PC and Virtual Box and the work around has fixed it for both of them.  but i had to use Sysinternals Autoruns to stop GoogleCrashHandler64.exe from launching at startup.

Thanks very much.

07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:16

Frances

Did you click the 'Show processes from all users' in the Processes tab in Task Manager
    07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:20

Frances

Also, disabling the "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google" feature and restarting your machine should fix this.

Edit: Actualy, I would do this method.  Chrome could restart this process if this feature is not turned off.
    • Düzenleyen Eric Swanson1 07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:33 change
    • Yanıt Olarak İşaretleyen Eric Swanson1 07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:39
    07 Şubat 2012 Salı 19:31
  • Thank you for documenting the issue and the workaround.  I am running Chrome 17.0.963.46 m, and have the exact same issue.  Killing the 64-bit GoogleCrashHandler and disabling "Automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google" solved the problem.

Saved me a lot of time trying to figure this one out too.

10 Şubat 2012 Cuma 01:14
  • Thank you for documenting the issue and the workaround.

Saved me a lot of time trying to figure this one out too.

Ditto.  I have Chrome installed but rarely use it - and was getting regular crashes of a 2GB Ubuntu-installed VirtualBox instance on a 6GB i5 Win-7 laptop.

From my perspective, the strange thing is that I'd made no concious changes to Chrome between VirtualBox operating fine (even performing demanding tasks) and failing every touch and turn with this error.

The work around is working for me.  Many thanks for posting it here.

10 Şubat 2012 Cuma 15:06
  • Here is a ticket in Google Chrome's bug-tracker system with complete issue explanation:

— GooglecrashHandler.exe prevents physical memory or system resources allocation for a virtual machine

(http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=115546).

• Düzenleyen Toucki 23 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 22:44
    23 Şubat 2012 Perşembe 22:40
  • Thanks for posting that!

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    24 Şubat 2012 Cuma 15:07