none
New Guest Network with Each Host Reboot on Default Switch RRS feed

• 问题

• Hello All,

I recently reinstalled my Windows 10 Hyper-V server/host clean from 1809 and am noticing a new issue.

Whenever I reboot the host server machine, the guests that are connected to the Default Switch get a new network.  If the guest instance is shut down, when I restart it, I get a prompt asking if the connected network should be public/private.

If the instance is already connected/started, the network silently updates, which is why I haven't noticed this until now.  Already one of my instances has "Network 45" as its listed network name.

1) How do I fix this? :)

2) How do I restart/clear the count so that the connect network name is "Network 1" (or just "Network")

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can lend!

2019年1月25日 8:23

答案

•   Very annoying, isn't it? It happens even if the guests are in a saved state when you restart the host. It happens even if file and printer sharing is disabled on the guest.

I don't usually use the default switch (I have never liked ICS) but I decided to try it recently and noticed that behavior. I am up to network 14 already.

Bill

2019年1月27日 1:18

全部回复

•   Very annoying, isn't it? It happens even if the guests are in a saved state when you restart the host. It happens even if file and printer sharing is disabled on the guest.

I don't usually use the default switch (I have never liked ICS) but I decided to try it recently and noticed that behavior. I am up to network 14 already.

Bill

2019年1月27日 1:18
  • Wow.  I hate to ask, but how long has this known "feature" been around?  I did search for it but did not find anything.  I would appreciate any known resources that talk about it.

In any case, it's nice to know that it's known and that there is someone else sharing my pain. ;)  FWIW I will be "switching" to my own custom switch.  Not sure why this Default Switch was made so poorly and has so many problems (can't delete, etc).

2019年1月27日 14:32
  •   Indeed. I can't imagine who thought this was a good idea in the first place, and the implementation is pathetic. I guess somebody thought "VMWare and VirtualBox have NAT by default, perhaps we should too".

Bill

2019年1月28日 3:25
  • Asking "what does the other person do?" is certainly a surefire approach to maximizing innovation in your product. ;)

2019年1月28日 4:41
  • Still a problem with 1903, *SIGH*
    2019年10月21日 14:42
  • Wow, look at this beauty:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-insider-program/hyper-v-default-switch-ip-address-range-change-ver-1809-build/m-p/314505/highlight/true#M2153

The Hyper-V team sure checked out a while ago, didn't they.  

I can confirm this issue still occurs in 2004, but the notification to classify the network (public/private) no longer appears.  So, the network "number" silently increases and subsequently bloats your system. SMH.

2020年6月18日 13:22
  • What is your NIC hardware?  Have you tried a different one?  If this persists through every update, it seems like there's something else going on here, like poor drivers, unique combination of hardware, etc. 
    2020年6月19日 15:53
  • I have actually indeed done that, @essjae.  Brand new motherboard and install, same problem.  This is occurring with the Default Switch.  Are you saying you are not seeing your network count for guests using the Default Switch increase with each host reboot?  The thread I provided states that this is occurring because the Default Switch is inexplicably destroyed and recreated with each boot of the host. 🤦‍♂️
    2020年6月19日 16:21