none
setting custom Win7 logon background - Windows 2003 AD environment RRS feed

• 问题

• Hi

from looking at previous threads on this, it looked like a major issue, the hot-fix seemd to fix the issue, was it rolled into a service pack?

also can the above be achieved in a Win 2003 environment that does not use ADMX files to manage client settings.

Cheers

James

2012年3月25日 9:45

答案

• Hi,

The logon backgroud file resides in C:\Windows\System32\Oobe folder.

1. press win+r key and Type Regedit at run prompt

2. Locate following registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

3. Now in right-side pane, change value of OEMBackground to 1.

4. Now place your custom image in %windir%\system32\oobe

5. Create a new folder info and background within newly created info folder

Folder path should look like this %windir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds

6. Now place your desired logon wallpaper within this background folder with file name as backgroundDefault.jpg

Note: Two other things to keep in mind: First, the actual file size of backgroundDefault.jpg cannot exceed 256 KB. Second, you’ll want to use an image whose dimensions match the screen resolution that you are using. If you use a file whose dimensions are smaller, the image will be stretched and may appear distorted.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

2012年3月26日 7:15
    版主

全部回复

• Hi,

The logon backgroud file resides in C:\Windows\System32\Oobe folder.

1. press win+r key and Type Regedit at run prompt

2. Locate following registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background

3. Now in right-side pane, change value of OEMBackground to 1.

4. Now place your custom image in %windir%\system32\oobe

5. Create a new folder info and background within newly created info folder

Folder path should look like this %windir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds

6. Now place your desired logon wallpaper within this background folder with file name as backgroundDefault.jpg

Note: Two other things to keep in mind: First, the actual file size of backgroundDefault.jpg cannot exceed 256 KB. Second, you’ll want to use an image whose dimensions match the screen resolution that you are using. If you use a file whose dimensions are smaller, the image will be stretched and may appear distorted.

Juke Chou
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

2012年3月26日 7:15
    版主
  • Hi,

Any update?

Juke Chou

2012年3月28日 17:01
    版主
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Juke Chou

Juke Chou

2012年3月30日 10:57
    版主
  • in the end the custom logon/lockout screen was removed as a requirment from the project

but two things -- the hotfix i mentioned was needed to fix the custom wallpaper issue (these were non SP win 7 images)

and I confused myself re the Windows 2003 domain bit, I forgot that you can edit the group policies frome a windows 7 machine (making the domain level irrelevant)

so had i needed to I could have manipulated that win7 regkey

also re the ADMX -- again (it been a while since I did all this stuff,) i confused the issue because migrating to the ADMX policies does not need to be done to use the windows 7 CSE's

2012年3月30日 11:27
  • Hi,

Which fix did you mention? Can you please post its link?

If the Group Policies are applied from Domain Controller, they cannot be modified in Group Policy Editor on client side.

Juke Chou

2012年4月2日 7:30
    版主
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977944

and re

If the Group Policies are applied from Domain Controller, they cannot be modified in Group Policy Editor on client side.

not sure I agree with the above statement

2012年4月10日 8:21
  • Hi,

This fix should already be included in SP1. Regarding the Group Policy, most of them cannot be modified if applied from Domain. Although some of them can be edited, the domain will re-push policies to client again.

Juke Chou

2012年4月10日 8:39
    版主