none
Why does Flash drive plugged into router depict in Win7 as a network shared folder named with the flash drive's serial number, but on Macs it depicts with its volume name? RRS feed

• 问题

• When I plug a flash drive into the USB port of my Arris cable modem/wireless router, why does it appear on my Windows 7 computer as a network shared folder ridiculously named with its 63-digit serial number:

Network\ARRIS-LGW\USBStorage\SanDisk-010189d5392d5e057c3280e72a64c55eb29413578f8ef6bd8b3a2c07bc8cafc

...whereas when accessed by Macintosh PCs on the same network,  the same network shared folder correctly appears with my user-specified volume name:

Network\ARRIS-LGW\USBStorage\My 256GB Flash

Arris Techs seem to lack the in-depth knowledge to answer this question....they simply claim it's a Windows problem.

Logic tells me that Windows is demonstrably capable of depicting this kind of NAS by either serial number or volume name - so why would Windows 'decide' to serve up a serial number name to Windows PCs but serve up a volume name to Macs?

Or, is it Arris' own firmware programming that's at 'fault' -  if so, what terminology do I need to use, to properly ask Arris or other manufacturers which of their products depict router-mounted USB devices by their volume names?

2019年7月10日 19:52

全部回复

• Hi Joe,

Firstly, check whether there is the latest driver for Windows on your flash drive’s official website, if there is, install it and test again.

In your last paragraph, I agree with your idea, you’d better ask for help from Arris or other manufacturers about their products’ name recognition.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2019年7月11日 6:18
    版主