none
Cannot unpin item from a jump list RRS feed

• 问题

• I have 2 items I can't remove from a jump list. The pin icon and the right click option to unpin the items is available but doesn't work.

I tried unpinning the program from the taskbar, clearing recent items, then uninstallling the software and running
    a registry cleaner. Then re-installed and pinned the program back on the taskbar, the jump list still had the 2 items stuck in the jump list.

Any suggestions folks ?
    2009年6月2日 0:28

答案

• You should probably try unchecking and applying the checkbox setting for showing recent items at: Rightclick Start,then click Properties 
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    2009年6月2日 15:07
    版主

全部回复

• You should probably try unchecking and applying the checkbox setting for showing recent items at: Rightclick Start,then click Properties 
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    2009年6月2日 15:07
    版主
  • Hi, tried all the suggested methods. Initially the problem came from moving the file from its original location, so the item in the jump list pointed to a non-existent file, so i tried all the suggested methods to remove the item from the list, clearing recent items etc, even registry hacks but couldn't find anything specifically related to this problem. Even moving the file back to the original location didn't help. SO, obvious solution, create another account and delete the old one.

An option in the jump list properties to edit the file location would be easy solution to this, rather than just a write protected string.
    2009年6月6日 9:13
  • Hi, I have the same problem: moved/deleted the file after I pinned it to the taskbar, now I can't unpin (tried all the same stuff marknt06 did, including moving the file back)...anyone have a solution?  This has happened with a folder, so now any folder that is in the taskbar that I right click on has actually 2 of these ghost items under "Pinned Items" that are pointed to something that is no longer there and doesn't let me unpin.  Asks me to unpin, asks me to remove from the list when I choose ok, it takes it, but does nothing. They are just stuck. 
    2009年6月19日 17:57
  • +1: I have exactly the same problem (with a pdf file stuck in Adobe Acrobat's jump list).  Also yearning for a solution :)
    2009年6月19日 22:24
  • I have a similar issue with the jump list for Windows Explorer.  I am trying to unpin the Downloads folder, as I have a Downloads library that I use instead, but it just won't unpin.  I noticed this after I added the library to the jump list, then tried to unpin the folder.  I don't know if it's related to having two items on the list with the same name.  I've also moved the Downloads folder and other user folders to non-default locations, but I don't think that's the issue here.  The Downloads folder item still works properly, and I was able to unpin My Documents, My Pictures, and My Music just fine.  Also, if I try to move the Downloads folder to another position in the jump list, I simply get a duplicate entry.  If I unpin either entry, then, I'm left with the original entry.  I also cannot unpin Desktop.
    2009年6月20日 3:14
  • +1, I think.  In my case, I uninstalled the Office 2007 trial after buying Office Ultimate from UltimateSteal.  The office applications I had pinned to the taskbar disappeared.  After reinstalling, the jumplists remained intact -- which was fine, except I soon discovered that it wouldn't let me remove an Access database.  I moved the file, tried pinning it and removing it again, etc etc, nothing happens.  If I put the file back in its original location, the jumplist link works fine (except the no-removal part, obv).  If I move the file, I get a standard "The item you selected is unavailable" msg, but that's it. 

One other thing I noticed is that its position as first item in the jumplist also seems to be stuck.  So if I try to drag another database above it, nothing happens, and if I try to drag it below any of the other databases, it actually creates a copy of itself (which, incidentally, can be removed).

For the most part I love the new taskbar, and this is not the hugest bug in the world, but it's obviously pretty annoying.
    2009年6月22日 7:10
  • Enter Here:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

and delete unless shortcuts

• 已建议为答案 dgcaste 2009年7月18日 1:49
    2009年6月24日 18:35
  • YOU ARE THE MAN MERT! Thanks!!
    2009年7月18日 1:49
  • Enter Here:

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

and delete unless shortcuts

That solution is for a pinned shortcut at the taskbar.

We are dealing here with a jumplist and many are still waiting for the right solution.

Regards,
    2009年10月16日 23:25
  • Use CCleaner: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/  Unfortunately, it will erase all your jumplist items, but at least you don't have to reinstall anything to get rid of those broken links.  Microsoft, please FIX THIS! 
    • 已建议为答案 meffrey 2009年10月19日 19:39
    2009年10月19日 19:39
  • Why won't Microsoft respond to this problem, after all it is their software which is causing the problem and I do not see why we should have to download software from a site we have never heard of before to fix this.

The Word2007 document I am trying to delete has never been moved, or deleted.

Come on Microsoft, sort it out.  Either tell us how to solve the problem or update Win7 so that it cannot occur.

Viv
    2009年11月21日 10:58
  • The solution by Mark L. F. does not fix the poster's original question. this helps "unpinning" the item from the taskbar completely but that's not what the poster is asking.

I am facing the same issue, I have 3 items in the Explorer "jumplist" I tried unpinning and repinning Explorer but I can't remove the jumplist items. the problem is not solved.

UPDATE - It seems each time I unchecked, applied and rechecked the "store and display recently opened items in startbar and taskbar" and applied, I was able to remove only "one" item from the explorer jumplist. I had 3 of them so I had to do this uncheck, apply, check, apply 3 times and each time unpin one item from the jumplist, now all three are gone. Issue solved. but whacky nonetheless...
    • 已编辑 am777 2009年11月21日 14:06
    • 已建议为答案 DamirV 2010年3月13日 5:19
    2009年11月21日 13:55
  • The Jump Lists items are stored in the (hidden) folder AppData. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type
    %Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and press Enter. They are stored as a ".automaticDestinations-ms" file. I don't know how to view the entries but you may be able to determine what they are by looking at the Date Modified.
    2009年11月21日 14:05
  • BurrWalnut, Seems you can open them in notepad, it's garbled but shows some paths, doesn't seem to have any pattern though, i opened one and it had visio files, xls files, so it's not like it was even a jumplist for one program (excel or visio) but a mix. 

either way my issue is fixed as i updated in my org post.

thanks!

2009年11月21日 14:12
  • I noticed the garbled nature and to some extent they can be determined. Another interesting point is that they have differing file sizes.
    2009年11月21日 14:17
  • The Jump Lists items are stored in the (hidden) folder AppData. Click the Windows Orb (Start), type
    %Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations and press Enter. They are stored as a ".automaticDestinations-ms" file. I don't know how to view the entries but you may be able to determine what they are by looking at the Date Modified.

The path should be '%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items\AutomaticDestinations' but viewing the ".automaticDestinations-ms" in Notepad does not help me as it is not apparent what will be the result of editing the file.

Viv
    2009年11月21日 16:02
  • It doesn’t matter whether you type Recent or Recent Items into the Orb's Search box.

2009年11月21日 19:07
  • If I type '%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items\AutomaticDestinations' or '%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations' in the search box nothing is found, (on my computer anyway), but if I type '%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items' or '%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent' without the trailing '\' then I get the Recent Items folder and clicking on it shows an empty folder.

However, I have tried a couple of methods I have found in this thread and others and none work for me.  I now have 4 items permanently pinned to my Word2007 icon.  I am wondering if pinning Word to the Taskbar will have any beneficial effect, or if I will just make things worse.

Viv
    2009年11月21日 22:50
  • I eventually tried the method in the section 'Fixing the Problem' at http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5245/fix-for-when-pinned-jump-list-items-get-stuck-in-windows-7/ by typing in that long 'find' statement which showed three of the files in the folder with a number 0 after it, presumably this means search term not found, and one file which had a number four at the end.

Deleting this file has removed the jump list.  I hope it has not done anything else, but time will tell.

It would be most helpful if Microsoft would look at the problem and amend their software so that it does not recur.

Viv
    • 已建议为答案 chuong2011 2014年4月22日 21:41
    2009年11月22日 12:22
  • Thanks, am777! Uncheck->Apply->Re-check->Apply then unpinning worked for me too. It was driving me nuts before!
    2010年3月13日 5:25
  • Worked for me too, was able to unpin 2 items every time I unchecked...then had to recheck-->apply--->uncheck to unpin more.  Awesome!! This seems like the best fix as it doesn't just wipe out your entire pinned items list.
    2010年7月3日 18:07
  • This method worked quickly.  Thanks for the great tip!
    2010年12月14日 16:55
  • I tried this one a few times as suggested in another forum, without success. I then had success with switching "Always combine, hide labels" under Taskbar-Taskbar buttons to "Never combine". Unpinned the items I couldn't remove before, and switched the setting back to the original. Hope this helps those for which the first solution didn't work.

2010年12月17日 16:42
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP

{edited coontent certified to include NAT Traversal OS transliteration aka vyper}

Mark Furguson's leader caught my attention. But the scope of this thread is rather too limited, so please visit here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/8178bbc3-034d-40b1-9b14-fe71b89d711a

2011年5月26日 9:39
  • Even if the "Hiden" and "Hiden Protected" files are set to Show, the "..Recent\AutomaticDestinations" directory is still invisible. You realy have to capture the full path as: "C:\Users\alainb\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations"

If you want to use Windows search, from the "C:\Users" search for "auto", do not use "*.auto"

To realy see all, from the command prompt in the "C:\Users>" directory try the good old DOS command: "dir *.auto* /s"

Open the files with notepad, most is unreadable but the path, file name and other stuff are readable.

Bingo!

2011年12月28日 15:57
  • I used total commander when searching for folder (e.g. C:\SomeFolder\PinnedFolderName) pinned to my explorer‘s jumplist. I searched for all files which contains the text C:\\SomeFolder\\PinnedFolderName and found some *.automaticDestinations-ms files. Deleted them and it works.

----- Lukas -----

• 已建议为答案 towens3054 2012年8月15日 22:27
    • 取消建议作为答案 towens3054 2012年8月15日 22:27
    2012年6月4日 16:18
  • I had this same problem with an Excel jumplist that's pinned to my Taskbar.  Here's what I did to fix it.

1) Record items on the jumplist you want to recreate

2) Browse to "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" and sort by date/time

3) Attempt to unpin an item from the Jump list and note which ".automaticDestination-ms" file get updated

4) Delete or rename the file

5) Open each item you want back in the jumplist and re-pin it. 

Once I fugured this out, the whole process only took a few minutes for the 15 or so items I wanted pinned.

Good luck,

Tom

Tom Owens

2012年8月15日 22:37
  • This did not work for me. Trying to unpin an unwanted item (and unpinning an item I want there) made no changes to the files in the folder you note.

When I try to unpin the local server address shortcut from my Windows Explorer jump list, my Explorer freezes and needs to be shut down through task manager and rebooted.

Any other suggestions from this thread, or from MS?

2012年8月21日 14:05
  • Apologies. This solution does work, but I had to search "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations" from the Start menu to get to the proper location. Browsing there did not work for me.

The guy at this link made a great observation, http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5245/fix-for-when-pinned-jump-list-items-get-stuck-in-windows-7/.

If you're having problems with Windows Explorer jump lists, the Win Ex jump list file name is always "1B4DD67F29CB1962.AUTOMATICDESTINATIONS-MS". By renaming this file "backup_1B4DD67F29CB1962.AUTOMATICDESTINATIONS-MS", I was able to start fresh with a new jump list.

The problem seem to originate from pinning items from the network.

• 已建议为答案 chuong2011 2014年4月22日 21:40
    2012年8月21日 14:16
  • this one, under "social.technet.microsoft.com as above worked for me finally, after trying several of the other fixes suggested further up the thread.

David.

the actual link:

link that worked in technet

• 已编辑 cutedrdave 2012年12月28日 0:42 added link
    • 已建议为答案 CathySpears 2013年4月17日 17:18
    • 取消建议作为答案 CathySpears 2013年4月17日 17:19
    2012年12月28日 0:40
  • I had one stuck on Excel, and I had tried every previous and logically thought of way to remove it, including the properties checkbox switch (I tried all possible combinations), cCleaner, removing the Excel shortcut, re-adding it, checking the roaming Microsoft AppData folder, and none of that worked.  This answer was the correct one for me.
    2013年11月7日 19:11
  • this does work as explained at howtogeek.com nice and quick and easy.
    2013年11月24日 1:07
  • Thanks. This method worked great for me.
    2014年6月29日 19:00
  • Thanks, this worked for me :)
    2014年7月2日 10:55
  • Sorry if this bumps an old thread, but navigating to %Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations, renaming the files there with BACKUP, and then killing and restarting Windows Explorer in task manager worked for me on Windows 8 when I couldn't unpin a dead Windows Explorer jumplist link from the taskbar.
    2014年8月3日 6:47

I had this problem and this solved it perfectly.  Thank you BurrWalnut :-)
    2015年5月3日 19:05
  • Mouse over icon - click mouse wheel - delete item
    2015年6月26日 14:28
  • Delete the files in the folder:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

2015年8月13日 14:00
  • Alternatively, what worked for me was not to delete all these files, but instead to temporarily rename them one at a time to observe what would happen.  For instance, I kept on putting my name in front of the existing filename until I found the offending entry.  Then I deleted only that one.  In my case, that removed all the pinned names from Excel, where I had the problem.  But all my other programs retained their pinned lists, and I could easily recreate the ones for Excel.
    2015年10月3日 12:32
  • I had this issue with one particular Excel file, while others were easily pinned and unpinned. I was just able to remove it finally by moving the order of the stuck file within the list of pinned files, then unpinning it. May not work for everybody, but it did in my case.
    2017年1月6日 18:15
  • http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5245/fix-for-when-pinned-jump-list-items-get-stuck-in-windows-7/

2017年1月9日 20:31
  • Path given above worked for me, i removed files at defined destination one by one & it help me to get rid of all pinned item under excel..

This increased my work to re pin what i wanted but solved issue.

2017年5月4日 13:26
  • Just delete everything in this location, this will delete all recently opened files for excel, word, ppt, and other. This worked for me :)!

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

2018年1月5日 15:35
  • AMAZING - This solved my problem THANK YOU!!!

Keywords: Jump list shortcut pinned excel start menu windows 10 cannot delete unpin remove stuck

2018年5月4日 12:29
  • I have this exact same problem with Windows 10 yet it has been 9 years since this posting. Is this bug really that unimportant to not address it in nearly a decade?!
    2018年5月29日 18:37
  • This worked for me... thank you !

The first i deleted was from a month ago.. and all the names in the jumplist disappeared.

I subsequently deleted all the files thereafter, as they had been modified today.

Hopefully problem is solved.

2018年6月14日 10:43
  • Thank you very much.
    2018年8月23日 1:32
  • thanks for your help.

my work done.

2018年11月28日 7:10