none
Native Windows 10 Pro VPN functionality RRS feed

• 问题

• Hi,

Does anyone know how many concurrent connections are allowed in native Windows 10 VPN? I know that you can set up a range of ip addresses for VPN connections, so it sounds as if it will allow several connections at the same time?

Many thanks.

2019年8月13日 13:35

全部回复

• Hi,

Yes, you can connect to several VPN at the same time.

The only thing to consider is routing. VPN providers will add default routes to you system, and it will cause all sorts of mess if these IP addresses are in the same subnet.

As long as each VPN provider gives you a different address and network, you can have as many VPN connections as you like.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

2019年8月14日 3:01
    版主
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

2019年8月19日 5:59
    版主
  • Hi,

My client is using native Windows 10 (builtin) technology to create a VPN tunnel from a laptop in his house to his three colleagues in the field. They need to remotely access the resources on the laptop in his house. In order to do this W10 vpn is used. The problem is they cannot all access the laptop resources at the same time, as W10 builtin VPN technology does not accommodate this. It only allows one connection at a time.

The other problem is that W10 vpn doesn't offer split tunnelling, so a lot of the broadband bandwidth in the house is used by a vpn connection.

It may be best to install and configure something like a Cisco RV340W VPN Firewall behind an adsl modem in bridged mode to accommodate the vpn traffic. Is this possible without having a Windows server behind the Cisco firewall. Looking at the vpn configurations of the Cisco firewall, it looks as if it is only geared around servers, and not a Windows 10 laptop.

Many thanks.

2019年8月23日 23:36
  • Hello itechnician,

I don't know how many connections are allowed, but it must be more than one. In the image below, I have connected to one of my home Windows 10 Pro PCs from two other devices (Android and another Windows 10 PC):

The problem with more than one concurrent client might be just NAT (Network Address Translation) related. Have you tried using SSTP (Secure Socket Tunnelling Protocol) as the VPN protocol? This is the only purely TCP protocol supported by Windows 10 and should have less potential for NAT issues.

We can also try some network tracing with your current set-up to see what is actually happening - let us know if you want to pursue that option (it would probably involve sharing your trace data in this forum).

Gary

2019年8月24日 9:25
  • Hi Gary,

Thank you for your ideas.

I saw on another forum a similar problem regarding a requirement for more than one remote connection, in that case using RDP, to a Windows 10 box. On the forum, tt was pointed out that more than one connection would breach the Microsoft W10 EULA. So, even if is technically possible, it would breach the end user license agreement.

I think I may have to start looking at a Windows server operating system, like Server 2019 Essentials.

Many thanks.

2019年8月24日 16:33
  • Hello itechnician,

As far as I know, two concurrent RDP connections are allowed to Windows systems that are not terminal servers and attempts to exceed that limit are signalled by messages requesting existing connection users to disconnect and an offer to the new connection user to forcibly disconnect existing connections. I don't think that the EULA is more restrictive than this built-in "limiting" functionality.

Turing to the VPN server functionality - it is called "Incoming Connections" (plural); it don't want to read too much into the grammar of the name, but it is just another hint that multiple connections are OK. Multiple concurrent connections (at least 2, as I verified for myself) "just work" - there is no need to avoid or work around any built-in limitation. The limited functionality of "Incoming Connections" compared to the Windows Server Routing and Remote Access Service means that the two alternatives are not really in competion with each other.

That aside, I suspect that your problem with multiple concurrent VPN connections has to do with other network components in the set-up; just changing the Windows version probably won't resolve the issue. I think that you would be better advised to first understand why the issue exists before investing in changes that might be unnecessary/unhelpful.

Gary

2019年8月25日 9:17