none
Problem upgrading Server 2008 R2 OEM to Server 2012 Evaluation RRS feed

• 问题

• We have several servers, including file servers and domain controllers, that must be upgraded from Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard OEM (with the GUI) to Server 2019. I have a test network and machine that I want to practice on. The machine that I'm starting with is basically a clean, fully updated installation of 2008 R2 that has been joined to a test domain.

All of the instructions I've seen say that the upgrade to 2019 must begin with upgrading to 2012, and Microsoft's instructions provide links to download evaluation versions of the OS. So I'm beginning with upgrading to 2012 R2 Evaluation. However, when I run setup, it ends with this message:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard cannot be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Evaluation (Server with a GUI)...

The setupact.log contains no errors or any indication whatsoever about why, nor is there anything in the Event Log. Can anyone provide any clues about what I might be missing? Is this a problem with upgrading an OEM license to an evaluation license? I'll be very grateful.

• 已编辑 RTSysAdmin 2019年9月22日 3:17 Clarity
    2019年9月22日 3:13

答案

• That's correct, you cannot perform an in-place upgrade using evaluation media. What you can do is perform a clean install using the evaluation media, join existing domain and promote as intermediate step.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it (evaluation is fine for intermediate step), join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also note; The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

If dong an in-place upgrade is a requirement then you'll want to use licensed installation media.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

2019年9月22日 3:25

全部回复

• That's correct, you cannot perform an in-place upgrade using evaluation media. What you can do is perform a clean install using the evaluation media, join existing domain and promote as intermediate step.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new 2012, patch it fully, license it (evaluation is fine for intermediate step), join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Also note; The two prerequisites to introducing the first 2019 domain controller are that domain functional level needs to be 2008 or higher and older sysvol FRS replication needs to have been migrated to DFSR
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Storage-at-Microsoft/Streamlined-Migration-of-FRS-to-DFSR-SYSVOL/ba-p/425405

If dong an in-place upgrade is a requirement then you'll want to use licensed installation media.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

2019年9月22日 3:25
  • Thank you for your helpful reply, Dave.

Yes, for the sake of saving time, we wanted to do an in-place upgrade. We bought all of the 2019 licenses we would need, but since we don't have retail or OEM installation sources for either 2012 or 2016, it sounds like we must also buy licenses for 2012 and 2016, all of which would be used for -- at most -- fifteen minutes or so.

I'll have to add a few days to the upgrade schedule, since, by my calculation, we would save a couple of thousand dollars over buying intermediate licenses, which would be enough to trip our CFO's trigger, and I really hate doing that.

Microsoft should update their instructions to say that, for many enterprises, their upgrade instructions don't work.

2019年9月22日 3:54
  • You're welcome. At least for the domain controllers since you have multiple you could transfer roles off, and rebuild one-at-a-time with Server 2019 for a cleaner / safer migration. For the file servers you may be able to take advantage of the storage migration service.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-migration-service/overview

I'd ask more about this one over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverfiles

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Server-for-IT-Pro/bd-p/WindowsServer

2019年9月22日 4:04

• Microsoft should update their instructions to say that, for many enterprises, their upgrade instructions don't work.

If you are an enterprise, and if you have a VL agreement which includes Software Assurance on WindowsServer, you can upgrade and downgrade versions for free. (it's an included benefit in SA)

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

2019年9月22日 21:49
  • I'm in the same boat here.  Ridiculous, really, if you think about it.  I've got some applications that -have- to be in-place upgraded (legacy stuff that mercifully works if you do an in-place upgrade, but not a re-install on the newer Server OS).

So...I'm trying to figure where I could purchase 2012 R2 installation media, licensed, to use for it's 15 minutes of fame on the way to 2019 from 2008 R2 Standard (O-freaking-EM!).

2019年11月11日 18:16