none
Can't create any Virtual Switch in Hyper-V, Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch 0x800401F3 RRS feed

• 问题

• Hi,

I'm absolutely stuck in Hyper-V since it lost connectivity. I removed all the virtual switches but now I'm unable to create new ones. Whenever I try to create a new one, either external, internal or private, I just get:

Error applying Virtual Switch Properties changes

Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch.

Switch create failed, name = '(some hexa address'), friendly name = 'Some Switch': Invalid class string (0x800401F3).

Working with PowerShell ends with the same result:

PS C:\> New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagementOS $True
    New-VMSwitch : Failed while creating virtual Ethernet switch. 
    Switch create failed, name = '567871B6-FF85-49D2-B2C0-F497EFC556F2', friendly name = 'Virtual Switch': Invalid class string (0x800401F3). At line:1 char:1 + New-VMSwitch "Virtual Switch" -NetAdapterName "Wi-Fi" -AllowManagemen ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-VMSwitch], VirtualizationException     + FullyQualifiedErrorId : OperationFailed,Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.Commands.NewVMSwitch

Any idea on how to fix this?

Solution: Admin command promt, "netcfg -d" did the trick. Everything is working now.

c:\> netcfg -d

2016年1月13日 14:16

答案

全部回复

• Can you try to use an other network adapter for the virtual switch,

as this might be a problem of the driver of the "Wi-Fi" card.

Do you get a different error when you try to add the switch not via PowerShell, but in the Hyper-V manager?

2016年1月13日 15:01
  • Hi. No. That's why I mentioned "either external, internal or private".
    2016年1月13日 15:04
  • I meant: can you try to use the Ethernet adapter instead of Wifi.
    2016年1月13日 21:10
  • Hi Carlos J S A,

Please remove all the Hyper-V virtual network adapter from the device manager(show hidden devices).

The following registry keys includes all the Hyper-V virtual network adapter information. Please back up the registry keys before we made modifications to them.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VMSMP
    ◾Under this key, you can find Parameters\SwitchList which contains all Virtual Switches and Parameters\NicList which contains all virtual adapter information on the parent partition
    ◾Under each virtual switch entry, you can find references to all virtual adapters in guest as well as parent partition

Considering the virtual network adapter is based on the physical network adapter, please reinstall the physical network adapter from the device manager then re-create the virtual network adapter again to have a test.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2016年1月14日 7:16
    版主
  • Update Windows and re-install Hyper-V feature, This will solve your issue.

Mark as answer if this help You!

Thanks,

Mayank Dhama

2016年1月14日 7:40
  • Already mentioned it doesn't help.
    2016年1月14日 10:54
  • You do know that, if you select private network, there is no physical adapter involved... Right?

Anyway, no: There's no change no matter which adapter I try.

2016年1月14日 19:40
  • From what you've written, you've already done so, but still.

Try listing NICs

WMIC NICCONFIG GET Description,SettingID

Check bindings using nvspbind and attempt to remove the GUID returned in HRESULT:

nvspbind.exe –u {GUID}

Recreate protocol bindings as written here:

Hyper-V Error: Error Applying New Virtual Network Changes - Cannot bind to <nic description="">because it is already bound to another virtual network </nic>

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

2016年1月15日 11:59
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

There is no Hyper-V virtual network adapter installed.

Under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vmsmp\parameters there's no key; is empty.

I've already installed, reinstalled and removed all the network adapters with no success.

2016年1月17日 16:53
  • Hi. Already checked that... There seems to be no bind or leftovers at all. And the error is different. This is really worrying and I don't seem to get nowhere.
    2016年1月17日 17:01
  • 2016年1月17日 17:11
  • So... No fix at all for this?  :(
    2016年2月6日 18:37
  •   I had a problem like this after an OS upgrade. Nothing I could think of worked. I eventually rebuilt Windows. 

Bill

2016年2月6日 23:07
  • Hi Bill.

Rebuilt = reinstalled? Completely? That's a nightmare. :@

2016年2月7日 3:17
  •   Settings>Update and Security>Recovery>Reset your PC.

Bill

2016年2月7日 22:50
  • Well it appears an invalid class error, so perhaps before the 'nuke it from orbit' approach that sounds unfortunately the way to go, a System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot (guide by Team ZigZag) before too see if any underlying issues with Windows are causing this.
    2016年2月7日 23:39
  • I got some errors during this scans. I'll look into them and keep you updated.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: Didn't work out.

• 已编辑 Carlos J S A 2016年2月18日 22:23 Information added.
    2016年2月12日 3:31
  • Admin command promt, "netcfg -d" did the trick. Everything is working now.

2016年2月18日 22:25
  • I had the same issue and I had to do the same (netcfg -d). The first time it did not work as I had not remove the HyperV Windows feature. so the next time around I did both the "netcfg -d" and removed the HyperV feature. 

After a reboot I added the HyperV Windows feature and this time the Virtual Switch Manager worked fine and Iw as able to create the virtual adapters.

Thanks a bunch!

Ashok

2016年10月13日 0:50
  • Thanks! That fixed my network switch problems (Generic Failure) with Hyper-V as well.  I assume could happen when enabling NDIS features on a card/driver that may not support such a feature within a hypervisor?
    2017年3月4日 5:22
  • Admin command promt, "netcfg -d" did the trick. Everything is working now.

I had this problem on a previous system, but I never fixed it as I setup a new Windows installation.

I came across exactly the same problem again (on a different system). It appeared to manifest after running the Creators Update, and also had an issue with the LAN driver which had to be re-installed.

I tried the command posted, and all appears to be working again.

I wish I found this the last time.

Thanks.

Adding this note later.

I had other issue with the Firewall and Hyper-V after the Creators Update.

I was provided this thread: Thread

I used this information and found I only needed to enable the Firewall rule "Windows Management Instrumentation (DCOM-In)" under "Inbound Rules" for the Private Profile.

This may only apply for using Hyper-V in Workgroup, as mine is.

• 已编辑 Mr Cheese 2017年12月15日 9:49 Related information
    2017年11月20日 5:14
  • Thank you, this save me a lot of troubleshooting time
    2018年6月20日 9:27
  • Hi,

I had the same issue to. I followed your solution: netcfg -d and remove HyperV. After reboot, add HyerV again. It worked wonderful.

Thanks,

HS

2019年10月18日 23:02