none
Windows detected a hard disk problem. Unable to scan for errors and attempt recovery on restart RRS feed

• 問題

• I'm getting the alert, "Windows detected a hard disk problem" and I'm advised to backup the computer. The computer is backed up, so what I want to do is run a chkdsk on the hard drive. When I try to do so on the C: drive I get the message, "Windows can't check the disk while it's in use. Do you want to check for hard disk error the next time you start your computer?" I do select 'Schedule disk check', then restart the computer.

Nothing happens.

I've done this several time. I will say that I have a boot manager that allows me to select among operating systems at boot time, with the default being Windows 7. Could this be short-circuiting the chkdsk on restart? If so, is there some other way to accomplish the check/repair?

2019年8月12日 下午 10:35

解答

• More testing ... I next tried booting to the Linux partition and running 'ntfsfix'. Apparently, that does little more than set the the "dirty volume flag" which causes volume checking at the next mount -- presumably when booting Windows (?). But, same thing, Windows booted without running chkdsk. Again, I'm assuming that is because it is a dual-boot computer with a boot manager -- but who knows.

Next, I removed the drive from the computer and connected it to a different Windows 7 computer and ran 'chkdsk /f' on each of its partitions. All came back with no errors.

Finally, I connected it to a Linux computer and ran 'smartctl -a /dev/sdd'. That returned:

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.

So I guess the bottom line is that this disk is bad and needs to be replaced. Rather than make this a life-long project by trying to low-level format, etc. It will be simply cheaper to replace this 1TB drive. End of story!

• 已標示為解答 jmarkfoley 2019年8月21日 下午 04:34
    2019年8月21日 下午 04:34

所有回覆

• Try to boot in  safe mode then run a chkdsk.

Type msconfig in search box to open System Configuration interface, Boot tab, check Safe boot, OK.

When you boot into safe mode, use chkdsk /f on the target disk.

Of course, if still can’t run disk check, you could use third-party tool to check and defrag the disk.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

2019年8月13日 上午 02:08
    版主
  • Even when booted to safe mode, I cannot run 'chkdsk /f' on the booted drive. It also asks, "Do you want to check for hard disk error the next time you start your computer?" I answered 'yes' and rebooted to safe mode. It took quite a long time booting which I thought meant it was doing the chkdsk, but no feedback on the screen. I let that go overnight, but the next day it was booted in normal (not safe) mode and I am still getting the "Windows detected a hard disk problem" alert.

I'm guessing the boot manger is somehow causing an issue. Since I can't seem to get to this via Windows, I'll boot Linux and run ntfsfix. Since the Windows C: drive is not the boot partition for Linux, it might work.

• 已編輯 jmarkfoley 2019年8月20日 上午 09:44
    2019年8月20日 上午 09:22
  • More testing ... I next tried booting to the Linux partition and running 'ntfsfix'. Apparently, that does little more than set the the "dirty volume flag" which causes volume checking at the next mount -- presumably when booting Windows (?). But, same thing, Windows booted without running chkdsk. Again, I'm assuming that is because it is a dual-boot computer with a boot manager -- but who knows.

Next, I removed the drive from the computer and connected it to a different Windows 7 computer and ran 'chkdsk /f' on each of its partitions. All came back with no errors.

Finally, I connected it to a Linux computer and ran 'smartctl -a /dev/sdd'. That returned:

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED!
    Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.

So I guess the bottom line is that this disk is bad and needs to be replaced. Rather than make this a life-long project by trying to low-level format, etc. It will be simply cheaper to replace this 1TB drive. End of story!

• 已標示為解答 jmarkfoley 2019年8月21日 下午 04:34
    2019年8月21日 下午 04:34
  • Some lame responses to youre message.Safe mode,run chkdsk..Hmm,its not a windows default cmd...To fix,by Microsoft/default Windows,open cmd,type: Sfc /Scannow once thru,type: CHKDSK C: /F agree to restart,type: EXIT/restart pc..Repairs to Windows thru Sfc or CHKDSK get done in MS-DOS,& youre OS was correct,no repairs can be done while the OS/Files are in use,hence,reason for pc restart.

Now,in the restart,chkdsk is activated and repairs the fix(s),ok,but in the last screen,look for HD corruption,if any amount shows,then expect to replace the drive as it will fail soon..Microsoft/TechNet at this point would say,open user account(s) move data to a new folder on the desktop,once thru,move data to a cd,this gets you user data to apply in a new OS,if it comes to that...

2019年8月22日 下午 05:23
  • Andrew, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the original drive is in the scrap pile so I can't try your sfc /scannow suggestion. Next time! I put a new drive in the computer and image-restored from an Acronis backup. Done!
    2019年9月9日 下午 06:20
  • Chkdsk is inadequate to be the only test for whether a drive is good or bad.

Multiple third party software can be used to test the drive.

2019年9月9日 下午 11:15