none
Non-system drive marked as system in full backup utility RRS feed

• 問題

• I did some hardware upgrades and i had to manually change the drive letter of my documents drive. This way all my links and some installed stuff will work again.

Everythng is correct except that the backup utility thinks that that disk is a system disk and it wants to backup it. Its about 200gb of stuff and I really dont want to include it in every full backup.

Note that in disk management the unit E is correctly marked as non system (page file, primary partition only). i have the pagefile on both C and E, to optimize the speed. It has worked previously.

I think it is related to the drive letter that i changed before, it must be some registry entry for the backup utility.

drives: C: (OS, scsi second array), D: (boot, sata), E: (documents, scsi first array), B: (backup, sata -its actually a non removable disk which i assigned this letter for comodity)

Any help?
    2008年6月18日 下午 01:05

所有回覆

• anyone?
    2008年6月20日 上午 09:48
  •  

In my opinion, the most convenient way is moving those files to another partition that is not labeled as (System) to workaround the issue. Also, can you change the drive letter E to some other letter? I assume that partition E was setup as system partition previously.

2008年6月24日 上午 08:15
    版主
  •  Sean Zhu - MSFT wrote:

In my opinion, the most convenient way is moving those files to another partition that is not labeled as (System) to workaround the issue. Also, can you change the drive letter E to some other letter? I assume that partition E was setup as system partition previously.

I'm not looking for a workaround and I dont want to move 300gb of data just to make a backup,
    I'm looking for the registry keys used by the backup utility to correct them.

Partition E was never a system partition, this is the crazy thing.
    2008年6月26日 下午 07:48
  •  

I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. It seems to me that if we change hardware, especially hard disk may cause such unexpected issue in Windows Vista backup. Could you let me know the previous partition and drive letters on the computer? I'll help to check if the issue can be solved or not. Thank you for your understanding.

2008年6月27日 上午 08:08
    版主
  • I didnt change hard disks, I changed the mainboard.
    I connected the sata drives in the order of the assigned letters (in my previous configuration), which wasnt the order to which the HDDs were connected to the previous motherboard.

The structure is the following (see picture)

disk3 and disk4 are scsi arrays.
    disk1, partition D: contains vista boot sector (it was impossible to make it work on a scsi array).

The previous configuration was the same except for the addition of the second GP (labeled htpc2).
    2008年6月29日 下午 01:16
  • I didnt change hard disks, I changed the mainboard.
    I connected the sata drives in the order of the assigned letters (in my previous configuration), which wasnt the order to which the HDDs were connected to the previous motherboard.

The structure is the following (see picture)

disk3 and disk4 are scsi arrays.
    disk1, partition D: contains vista boot sector (it was impossible to make it work on a scsi array).

The previous configuration wWas the same except for the addition of the second GP (labeled htpc2).

Was there ever a solution to this.. i have a D drive marked as system drive as well (its on an controller, along with the C drive which is on the controller).. i dont see any files that could be causing this.. so i'm trying to find a way to change it from system to non system.  (actually mine doesnt even show system in the disk manager, but in the backup utility it does) on win 7

Thanks
    2009年8月21日 下午 09:03
  • I know this is really old, but I just had this problem, and the answer doesn't seem to be anywhere.

My Solution:

R.Click My Computer, Manage.
    Disk Management, Change the drive letter of the drive your having issues with, then change it back to what it was.

That worked for me.

2012年10月30日 上午 05:10
  • Thanks! Drive toggle fixed the annoying bug I came across today.
    • 已編輯 Gremioh 2019年7月13日 上午 12:18
    2019年7月13日 上午 12:13