none
Trouble connecting to ClearOS file server on Windows XP Pro SP3

Question

• So I have a Dell PowerEdge server running ClearOS. I have multiple Flexshares set up on said server. This server also acts as my home's DCHP server. Internet from the street comes in to the server and then goes to a switch which then goes to a few computers and a router. The computers, since they are connected directly to the switch, can access the files on the server with ease. No problem there. I have the router set up so that I can access the internet from my phone. That works as well. But just recently, I got a hold of a wifi adapter for a Windows XP Pro SP3 computer. This computer connects to the router. Now, I want to be able to look at and edit files in these shares on the server from the Windows XP computer but every time I try to do just that, it says it can't find the server. Is there a reason behind this? The router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and the server has an IP of 10.55.55.1. I can ping the server's IP address just fine. Why can't I connect to it though? The workgroup is identical for all of the computers. 

In Calculus, 1+1=0.

Thursday, March 02, 2017 2:40 AM

Answers

• Well good news is that I managed to figure it out after a lethal amount of Googling. Prior to said Googling, I had tried everything from setting the router up as a DD-WRT Repeater Bridge to having the router act as the main DHCP server. Absolutely nothing seemed to work. I later found an article that described my exact issue and the steps to resolve it. Merely plugging in the cable that connected the server to the router into a LAN port instead of the WAN port as well as changing default gateway to match the server, changing the operating mode from Gateway to Router, and finally setting the DHCP server to act as a DHCP forwarder completely fixed the problem. Strange.

In Calculus, 1+1=0.

• Marked as answer by GarbageSauce Friday, March 03, 2017 4:37 AM
    Friday, March 03, 2017 4:37 AM