Setting Default Outlook Signature By Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am attempting to standardise our company's email signature for all users. A contact supplied me with a VBA script which generates a signature based on the user's AD information. This works great but I would like group policy to set this signature as default to prevent users from making changes. From various Google searches, it seems that the default signature can be set by GP, but I can't seem to make sense of any of the posts that I find. This may be because I am new to GP and don't understand the context. Any suggestions as to what would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Steve

Friday, May 9, 2014 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve_Flynn,

According to your description, you would like to set default Outlook signature using group policy. Right?

Based on my knowledge, the signature file is located in the path %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft \Signatures on Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. And then we need to configure the related registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common\MailSettings or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common\MailSettings.For more information, please refer to the following article:

How to deploy a default email signature in Outlook

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2691977/en-us

We can deploy the signature file and configure the registry key via Group Policy to resolve the issue. For your information, please refer to the following article to learn more:

Configure a File Item

Configure a Registry Item

What's more, please refer to the following article to learn how to realize it via a script:

Setting Up Outlook E-Mail Signatures

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Steve_Flynn Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:49 AM
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve_Flynn,

According to your description, you would like to set default Outlook signature using group policy. Right?

Based on my knowledge, the signature file is located in the path %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft \Signatures on Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. And then we need to configure the related registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common\MailSettings or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Common\MailSettings.For more information, please refer to the following article:

How to deploy a default email signature in Outlook

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2691977/en-us

We can deploy the signature file and configure the registry key via Group Policy to resolve the issue. For your information, please refer to the following article to learn more:

Configure a File Item

Configure a Registry Item

What's more, please refer to the following article to learn how to realize it via a script:

Setting Up Outlook E-Mail Signatures

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Steve_Flynn Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:49 AM
    Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Hi Lany

Thanks for the reply, the registry key method works great. Unfortunately, my GP entry to deploy the key doesn't work for some reason. I'll keep playing with it, probably just needs tweaking. Thanks again.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:49 AM