none
Searching alternative to fix Windows Update (WSUS) Error: FATAL: WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown failed, hr=80240025

Question

• Hello everybody, I hope I hit the right spot for this question.

We have many clients which get there updates from WSUS.
    Meanwhile over 80 clients recieve FATAL-Errors. I tried to collect the Errors in a spreadsheet, analyzed from there WindowsUpdate.log's with the tool "FireGenUL".
    Nearly all clients get the same error, some with additional other errors and warnings.
    ->>>> FATAL: WUAutoUpdateAtShutdown failed, hr=80240025

I googled a long time and tried many things. In fact I found a way, which solves the problem, but the resolution is not quiet that, what we want. You can easily fix that problem, with a change of an registry entry: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate\ DisableWindowsUpdateAccess = 0

The thing is, that we don't want, that the "normal" user can see, that an update is available, ready to install, installed or that the computer has to be restarted. Additional to that the user shall not see the update-function in the Internet Explorer or the update-icon in the control panel. Just all functions which the registry entry blocks...

Is there a way to to fix that problem, without changing the >DisableWindowsUpdateAccess< registry?
    Would be happy about some idears. Thank you!

Best regards Christian

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Answers

• On Vista and later systems ALL users have privileges to interact with the WUApp. (On Windows XP systems this requires the user to be a local Administrator.) This privilege can be blocked via Policy; however, blocking those privileges also blocks access to the "Install at Shutdown" feature (which is what you experienced with DisableWindowsUpdateAccess=dword:0x1).

If you wish to use Install at Shutdown, then you cannot block access -- that is, DisableWindowsUpdateAcces=dword:0x0 and users have full access.

Ergo, there are only two options:

1. Users have FULL ACCESS to all functionality in the WUApp (or WUAgent UI), including Install At Shutdown.

2. Users are blocked from having access to the WUApp (or WUAgent UI), in which case Install at Shutdown is not available.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2011)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:02 PM