Allow read, write, modify but Deny delete for group- Share Folder! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a share folder 'HR Share' on Server 2003 where I have a security group 'HR Users' from AD.  I need

HR Users - read, write, edit, modify, rename etc  but NO DELETE permission (This folder, sub folder or files none)

HR Manager - above all + delete permission (Full Control needed)

I already tried a lot from sharing permissions as well as Security>Advanced>Edit special permissions but confused.

If I deny delete for HR Users and allow everything else, they still CAN'T rename, save data in MS office file and it creates temp files too.

What's the apt workaround?

Insaf Muhammed

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Muhammed, 

It can be accomplished if you work with NTFS permission. I recommend you go through this article and set permissions accordingly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277867/en-us

Regards, Ravikumar P

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:35 PM
  • Hi Muhammed, 

It can be accomplished if you work with NTFS permission. I recommend you go through this article and set permissions accordingly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277867/en-us

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thanks ravi , I am trying to grasp it thoroughly.

In fact I have followed the orthodox method to "deny the delete permission" to user/group, this will deny the permission to delete file & folder but would not allow to save the MS related files with error ' Access Denied' and comes to Save AS.  Also they are not able to rename files&folders even newly created ones 'Access Denied'.

When I deny both 'delete' options from special permissions - they lose the 'modify' feature (then no delete, rename, save data in MS office possible)

If I check mark 'Modify' again - they can rename, save data in MS office, as well as Delete returns.

any simple suggestions? It's really perplexing..

Insaf Muhammed

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

When you rename the file, in the background actually you are replacing with the new file with same content. The renaming actually deletes the earlier file, so without delete option granted to the users/groups, he can't perform renaming of the file.

As a workaround, you can give CreateOwner - Modify permission - subfolders only - on root shared folder. Then users can create folders and rename the folders they created. Also they will have permission to modify the files created in their folders.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Mandy Ye Monday, December 2, 2013 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Hello,

I have a share folder 'HR Share' on Server 2003 where I have a security group 'HR Users' from AD.  I need

HR Users - read, write, edit, modify, rename etc  but NO DELETE permission (This folder, sub folder or files none)

HR Manager - above all + delete permission (Full Control needed)

I already tried a lot from sharing permissions as well as Security>Advanced>Edit special permissions but confused.

If I deny delete for HR Users and allow everything else, they still CAN'T rename, save data in MS office file and it creates temp files too.

What's the apt workaround?

Insaf Muhammed

The same permission problem in server 2012. I deny delete permission. But user unable to save and rename the word and excel files. 
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 5:14 AM
  • Any Third party tool available for this type NTFS Permission???

Monday, April 29, 2019 5:54 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 5:55 AM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 5:55 AM