none
Group Policy failed Event ID 1058 Error Code 5 RRS feed

• Question

• Every five minutes I receive the processing of Group Policy failed. Windows aatempted to read the file \\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\{xxxxxx}\gpt.ini from a domain contoller and was not successful. The log name is System source Group Policy event 1058 User is System error code is 5. The DC is DC1 but the error shows on DC2. Both are windows 2008 dc's dc1 is 64bit and dc2 is 32bit. When I run dcdiag i get two errors one is time synce which i checked the time on both servers and they are identical down to the second and the other is the group policy failed error. I followed all the steps in related topic "server 2003 and group policy event 1030,1058" but i still get the same error every five minutes.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that do other group policies work normally?

This error code usually indicates that the user or computer does not have the appropriate permissions to access the path specified in the event.

Based on the current situation, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1.    Right click on the problematic gpt.ini file and click Permissions.

2.    Switch to Security tab and click Edit.

3.    Highlight Authenticated Users, remove all the boxes under Deny and check the following items under Allow.

l  Read & execute

l  Read

4.    Click OK twice to test the issue.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Event ID 1058 — Group Policy Preprocessing (Networking)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727259(WS.10).aspx

If the issue persists, would you please run the following command and post the output in your reply:

Cacls %systemroot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\DomainName\Policies\{GUID}\gpt.ini

Note: Please replace DomainName and GUID with the real DomainName and GUID.

If it still cannot work, please also follow the troubleshooting suggestions the following Microsoft KB article provides:

Userenv errors occur and events are logged after you apply Group Policy to computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;887303

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to confirm that do other group policies work normally?

This error code usually indicates that the user or computer does not have the appropriate permissions to access the path specified in the event.

Based on the current situation, please perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1.    Right click on the problematic gpt.ini file and click Permissions.

2.    Switch to Security tab and click Edit.

3.    Highlight Authenticated Users, remove all the boxes under Deny and check the following items under Allow.

l  Read & execute

l  Read

4.    Click OK twice to test the issue.

For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Event ID 1058 — Group Policy Preprocessing (Networking)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727259(WS.10).aspx

If the issue persists, would you please run the following command and post the output in your reply:

Cacls %systemroot%\SYSVOL\sysvol\DomainName\Policies\{GUID}\gpt.ini

Note: Please replace DomainName and GUID with the real DomainName and GUID.

If it still cannot work, please also follow the troubleshooting suggestions the following Microsoft KB article provides:

Userenv errors occur and events are logged after you apply Group Policy to computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;887303

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi Arthur_Li

I had checked the permissions on GPN.INI file and the complete GPO folder as well, but still was throwing alerts for Event ID 1058 in PDC Event Viewer. 

I was able to fix the issue by copying the GPO GUID Folder for the problematic GPO from a different DC to the DC on which there were errors.

Also Run GPUPDATE /Force on all the domain controller.

For me this fixed the issue. 

Best Regards,

Jatin Makhija

Monday, June 26, 2017 12:58 PM