Hyper-V Replica Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am new to Hyper-V Replica and have a few questions as listed below:

1. There are three volumes created on Hyper-V Primary Server C:\, D:\, and E:\. I have configured a VM and configured three hard disks as below:

-VHDX1 attached to SCSI controller 0 and kept in C:\ drive

-VHDX2 attached to SCSI controller 1 and kept in D:\ drive

-VHDX3 attached to SCSI controller 2 and kept in E:\ drive

On Replica Server, I have only C:\ drive created to hold data from C:\, D:\ and E:\ drive. 

Question: Do we also need to configure D:\ and E:\ drive on Replica Server also? 

2. In case of any failover to Replica Server, how VM is going to retain the same IP Address that is configured on the Primary VM?

Thank you for your help in advance.

NRatawa

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:29 PM

Answers

• When you configure replica you specify where files will be stored so you do not need to have the same drive mapping. By default replica VM holds the same IP addressing.
    • Edited by user1268126481Banned Monday, July 6, 2015 1:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, July 13, 2015 9:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:03 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 1:35 PM
  • "will there be any performance issues?"

We really can't answer that question because you have not provided any information about the existing performance of your application other than saying it 'works great' with three separate spindles.  You will have to test your application in your environment to determine if performance will be impacted.  Maybe it will.  Maybe it won't.  Maybe it will be impacted, but the difference will not matter because you know it is a temporary situation.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Tim!

That's the point - we know it's a temporary situation. 

Then the question becomes more specific why Hyper-V Replica does not bother to replicate D:\ to D:\, E:\ to E:\ and so on. Can this configuration be done as well?

Thank You,

Nratwa

Once the replica is created, it is a unique virtual machine, distinct from the source. If you don't like where its files are, use Storage Live Migration to put them where you want them. Replica will continue to function normally.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, July 13, 2015 9:31 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 6:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Slava,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Let me be more specific - Application running inside the Primary VM works great when they run on separate storage spindle (D:\ and E:\ drives). After failover since all the VHDX files (VHDX1, VHDX2, VHDX3) are going to reside on the C:\ drive on the Replica Server, will there be any performance issues?

Thank You,

Nratawa

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:48 PM
  • "will there be any performance issues?"

We really can't answer that question because you have not provided any information about the existing performance of your application other than saying it 'works great' with three separate spindles.  You will have to test your application in your environment to determine if performance will be impacted.  Maybe it will.  Maybe it won't.  Maybe it will be impacted, but the difference will not matter because you know it is a temporary situation.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Tim!

Then the question becomes more specific why Hyper-V Replica does not bother to replicate D:\ to D:\, E:\ to E:\ and so on. Can this configuration be done as well?

Thank You,

Nratwa

Monday, July 6, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Thanks Tim!

Thank You,

Nratwa

Once the replica is created, it is a unique virtual machine, distinct from the source. If you don't like where its files are, use Storage Live Migration to put them where you want them. Replica will continue to function normally.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent blog contributor, not an Altaro employee. I am solely responsible for the content of my posts.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, July 13, 2015 9:31 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hi Nratawa,

Agree with other replies. Hyper-V Replica can asynchronously replicate a selected VM running at a primary site to a designated replica site across LAN/WAN.

Here is the guide for Hyper-V replica:
    Hyper-V Replica Explained, Windows Server 2012 Style:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/archive/2013/01/10/hyper-v-replica-explained.aspx

Hyper-V Replica:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134172.aspx

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:38 AM