none
Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly error, self-repair doesn't work

Question

• Apologies in advance- this is my first time setting up Windows Server, and I know this is likely an easy fix for someone with experience. With that said, here's the problem-

I just started setup of my Remote Desktop Services for my Windows 2016 Server Essentials. However, for some reason I continue to have a critical alert stating the RDS isn't configured correctly and the self-repair option does not work. Also, I can access the domain that Microsoft provided for remote web access, but it only shows the IIS load-in screen rather than any of my network resources, so I would appreciate help on this issue as well. 

Relevant information-

UPnP is setup on my router and port forwarding to my server's static address for ports 80 and 443 is already configured. 

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:08 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same issue, been pulling my remaining hair out. Checked everywhere, still no luck.

Router is set correctly, checked and tripled checked. I did notice on my remote client when connecting the following. "The remote connection was not made because attempted VPN tunnels failed."

Tim

Sunday, April 23, 2017 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

Please note that RD Session Host is not supported on Essentials.

"You need Window Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter for RDSH, plus RDS and Windows Server CALs."

Quote from TP within thread below:

Server 2016 TS print (easy print) not working

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0924bd62-d7f1-4734-8b60-2db1c489a997/server-2016-ts-print-easy-print-not-working?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi Amy, thanks for this info. I was not aware of that. What would you suggest as the best alternative? I think I'm going to try to deploy VPN without DirectAccess, unless you also need an upgrade for that. 
    Monday, April 24, 2017 12:33 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to deploy network solution between clients and server, VPN is a good approach.

If you'd like to utilize RDS, please purchase Windows Server Standard or Datacenter edition.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:06 AM