none
To Disable Print Screen through Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way we can disable Print Screen through group policy?.We are running with Windows Server 2003 DCs and Windows XP SP3 clinets.Please suggest.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

• Create a .reg file containing :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
    "Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,2a,e0,00,00,37,e0,\

Apply the registry modif through a script (batch file) set at the computer level. Reboot the computer after GPO applied.

If you want to re-activate the Print Screen, create another .reg file containing :

"Scancode Map"=-

Run it and reboot the computer.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Hi,

Voldar is correct, you can create a reg file with the following and add a blank line at the bottom of the reg file and double click it. The changes take affects after Windows is restarted:

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,2a,e0,37,e0,00,00,37,e0,

It is possible to import a reg file silently using the command below

REGEDIT.EXE /S _____.reg

The /S must be specified before the _____.reg file name.

You can apply this registry setting through a batch script or group policy preference.

This method should work to meet your needs but has not been extensively tested. If this does not work, then we are still back to recommending the CTRL2CAP utility from systinternals.com, or a custom-made tool that does what the CTRL2CAP tool does.

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:32 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:50 AM

All replies

• Create a .reg file containing :

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,2a,e0,00,00,37,e0,\

Apply the registry modif through a script (batch file) set at the computer level. Reboot the computer after GPO applied.

If you want to re-activate the Print Screen, create another .reg file containing :

"Scancode Map"=-

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:57 PM
  • Yes... reg file can do it but www.ihatelogonscripts.com so i would recommend appling the same registry key via Group Policy Preferences that way you get much better control on how the registry key is targeted and you can remotly run reports on the computer for troubleshooting.

For more info see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771589.aspx

Alan Burchill (MVP)
    http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    • Proposed as answer by Alan Burchill Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:37 PM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

Voldar is correct, you can create a reg file with the following and add a blank line at the bottom of the reg file and double click it. The changes take affects after Windows is restarted:

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,2a,e0,37,e0,00,00,37,e0,

It is possible to import a reg file silently using the command below

REGEDIT.EXE /S _____.reg

The /S must be specified before the _____.reg file name.

You can apply this registry setting through a batch script or group policy preference.

This method should work to meet your needs but has not been extensively tested. If this does not work, then we are still back to recommending the CTRL2CAP utility from systinternals.com, or a custom-made tool that does what the CTRL2CAP tool does.

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, August 20, 2010 7:32 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Wilson Jia

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:53 AM
  • I am looking for a similar script. Will the above work? I believe I already tried it and it did not work when I applied it to a GPO policy. Basically, I'm looking for a script that I can apply as a GPO to disable the print screen on Windows XP.  I have tried one VBS script that supposedly disables it but it does not work. Has anyone written or pushed out a GPO policy for such feature? I am assuming it has to be done at the GPO computer level as opposed as user level. I'll give it a try again and check if it works. 

"There's a time and place for that. The time is... Never. You can figure out the place on your own".
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Any ideas how to run this registry on a vbs script. I can't seem to get the batch to execute in my GPO policy.
    "There's a time and place for that. The time is... Never. You can figure out the place on your own".
    Monday, September 13, 2010 11:38 PM
  • can anybody create reg file im not getting how to do..

Thanks

Waiitng for your reg file

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Hi Priya,

Simply copy and paste the above code in a text file and save it with .reg extention.

Saving files in Notepad will almost always result in the file being named with a TXT extension. If you want to save the file with a different extension, say a REG extension (for a registry hack), check this out.
    Enclose the new name in quotes. For example, to name your file Regfile.reg, choose File, Save As and then type in

"Regfile.reg"

and click Save. This should save the file with the .REG extension, and not a TXT extension.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    • Edited by iamrafic Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Guys,

reg file is applied to computer configuration, Is there any way to disable for only certain user 

Regards, Mohan - Technology
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

"Scancode Map"=-

Deny access to the GPO for this computer alone so that the batch file will not apply in future.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Guys,

reg file is applied to computer configuration, Is there any way to disable for only certain user 

Regards, Mohan - Technology

No, it is not possible to disable it for only certain users, being a setting at computer level.
    " Never panic before reboot ! "
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Hi Volder,

I tried to create the GPO with above steps but its not working for me. So please let me know how can i disable the print screen by GPO. Thanks 

Monday, August 11, 2014 10:51 AM