none
Activation and ethernet RRS feed

• Question

• As I already said in another post, ethernet in WS 2016 tp5 seem to work badly. Several things depending on it do not work, like activation. Has someone else had activation issues?
    Friday, April 29, 2016 7:46 PM

All replies

• Mine activated with no issues.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, April 29, 2016 10:16 PM
  • What error are you getting with activation? What Product Key are you using? (on the Eval centre the product key is under the Preinstall Information section)
    Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi Lotusisrael,

Are you activating online?

If yes, how is it connected to network? Is firewall blocking the traffic? You could disable firewall temporarily to test.

Anyway, it is always helpful for analyzing the issue if you could provide the error you got.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 2, 2016 6:38 AM
  • Thanks, found the keys, managed to activate using the slmgr vbs commands in Command Prompt, the rest of the problems still there.
    Monday, May 2, 2016 10:06 AM
  •                   
    You cannot vote on your own post
    Managed to activate using slmgr vbs commands. The ethernet issues persist, still can not get the required driver from Device Manager and .NET Framework 3.5 from Server Manager, its says something like sources not available. Tested using disabled firewall a few days ago, it does not help at all.
    Monday, May 2, 2016 10:07 AM
  • "ethernet issues persist, still can not get the required driver from Device Manager"

You have not described your Ethernet issues - makes it hard to troubleshoot.

Have you downloaded the latest driver from the vendor's web site?  Might have to contact the vendor to see if they have a trial driver available for 2016 if their 2012 R2 driver does not work.

Monday, May 2, 2016 1:35 PM
  • It did downloaded and installed the latest ethernet driver from the vendor support website. No change. One thing would be too try to reinstall, this time with the key installed from the beginning. On this configuration I shall not try to enable Hyper-V, the Hyper-V ethernet driver seemed to overcome the function of the host machine ethernet driver, making the problem even more difficult. I am reluctant to enable even containers. For now, I am missing .NET Framework 3.5 and the wifi network adapter. Tried to download an older version of it from the vendor website, the W7/WS2008 r2 driver, WS 2016 TP5 blocked it, saying it is not compatible with W10 (and, implicitly, WS 2016). Still, I am wondering if this is a bug, a new policy that can be set in the right position with gpedit.msc, or a change that was not meant to be disabled by the user. The machine is rather old, 2012, it has an Intel dual core cpu, I doubt this matters any much, since all previous tp of WS 2016 worked fine. The last available version of the ethernet driver is from 2013, the out of box version that is installed by W10/WS 2016 is slightly older than the latest available from the vendor (Lenovo). It says on the Evaluation Center page that WS 2016 Datacenter 2016 provides a new networking model, this does not seem clear to me, have not found anything to relate clearly to my issue.

Main issues are that I can not download from Add or Remove Components from Server Manager legacy APIs (.NET Framework 3.5) and that the wifi adapter driver can not be downloaded from Device Manager. Installing Hyper-V seem to make things worse, the Hyper-V network adapter replaces the one from the host, and not even the uninstall of Hyper-V and containers does not revert, the Hyper-V ethernet adapter remains the main one. For now, to be able to connect to ethernet, even in this limited way, I need to keep Hyper-V (and probably containers) disabled. When the machine shares the network with my other machine, that runs a Unix-like os, the internet icon turns red, like the machine is not connected, but when I click it, is says it is connected, and IE and Edge work, as well as Windows Update. First time when I enabled Hyper-V the internet connection on the non-Windows machine seemed to have been messed up, I have reseted the rooter and reinstalled that OS too. Now, the machines with different OSs seem to get along again, but this may be a very fragile balance. 

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:41 PM
  • For the wireless issue please see Windows Server 2016 TP5: Wireless Driver as it appears others are seeing issues too.

What Lenovo is this? If maybe that it is no longer compatible with 2016 and it is developed. If the current Ethernet driver does not work then it would need an updated driver from the vendor. But depending on the what the product is (home or server) and its age that might be no forthcoming.

Perhaps time to re-evaluate you test system. Perhaps install a desktop OS on the Lenovo and install some VM software on that is run TP5 as a VM to test \ have a look at.

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:35 PM
  • "One thing would be too try to reinstall, this time with the key installed from the beginning."

Activation in no way affects the execution of the system.  All features and capabilities are available whether or not the system is activated.

"On this configuration I shall not try to enable Hyper-V, the Hyper-V ethernet driver seemed to overcome the function of the host machine ethernet driver,"

Hyper-V does not replace the host machine device driver for the NIC.  It uses the exact same NIC driver whether Hyper-V is installed or not.  It does present a virtual NIC instead of a physical NIC, but the NIC driver remains the same.

In addition to the above reference to some other issues in TP5 networking, you might want to investigate this blog by Ben Armstrong - it appears there is a way to NAT with wireless - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2016/05/02/windows-10-hyper-v-and-wireless-a-new-way-to-make-this-all-work/

Monday, May 2, 2016 11:40 PM
  • Reinstalled the OS, I had to use the key twice. It activated well, the other machine gets along with it fine sharing the rooter, I have even turned Hyper-V, things seem ok at that point. But the task bar icon still shows ethernet as disconnected, although is not, and I still can not get the wifi driver from Device Manager and .NET Framework 3.5 from Server Manager. Wifi is not essential, but it shows that there is an issues regarding drivers, and .NET Framework 3.5 is still required by some software. Maybe local servers are not well configured or have some issues, and that is why I can not get. Or the icon show suggests that the issue is in the OS.

The machine is a Lenovo G580, the hardware was not modified at all since it was bought, no ram extended or removed, the with the hard drive, video card etc. It boots in UEFI mode (not legacy mode) and that makes installing WS 2016 dificult since TP4, since I can not use neither a DVD or a pen drive (For UEFI, pen drives need to be formatted as fat32, and the Install.wim of WS 2016 is slightly larger than 4 gb, the limit for fat32), I have to mount the iso on an installed Windows and run the setup from there.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi Lotusisrael,

>>and I still can not get the wifi driver from Device Manager and .NET Framework 3.5 from Server Manager.

What do you mean by can't get .NET 3.5? You are not seeing it in server manager?

You could try to install it manaually:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

There may be no driver available for the laptop to work with Server 2016 TP5 currently. You may wait for later updates.

Besides, Server 2016 TP5 is a preview version and some features may not work properly.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:20 AM
  • It appears on Server Manager, I check it for install, but I get an error message, saying  something like sources not available. The installer from the link you gave does not work, it says that .NET Framework 3.5 can not be installed unless you use the Server Manager function.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Hi Lotusisrael,

I'm afraid I could not find any official document about the issue currently.

We could wait for later updates or new releases.

Best Regards,

Leo

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

For installing .Net 3.5 the steps are the same as WS12 and WS12R2, please give these a try: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn482071.aspx

You will need to mount the TP5 ISO and use that path for <drive>\sources\sxs.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Thanks, it worked for .NET Framework 3.5 . Of course, the rest of the issues are still there.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:26 AM