none
CHKDSK 50% sleep mode, safe mode freezing... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All! 
    I have an HP Touchsmart IQ500 running Vista. Everytime I turn on the computer it runs CHKDSK, gets to 50%, then goes into sleep mode. 

When I take it out of sleep mode, I just get a black screen. When I try to start in safe mode, it freezes...I don't know what to do. When it gives the option to skip disk checking by pressing any key, I press keys/click mouse but it continues the count down and runs CHKDSK. Yes, I also tried touching the screen to skip disk checking. :p

I had been able to access windows and when I tried to run system restore, I get an error that found something about corrupt files or a file needing to be checked. I am no longer able to access my files or even get to my home screen/windows.

I've looked at simlar threads but nothing seems to be working. I don't have the disc. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is a Windows Vista system so it is recommanded to post to following forum instead:

Windows Vista IP Pro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro

Some personal opinion: You cannot skip the disk checking should be caused that the keyboard is not start working at that phase. A PS/2 keyboard may help in this situation.

Also if a computer could not be boot into Safe Mode, you may prepare to do a system repair. Also if check disk cannot be finished, you may suspect if it is a hard disk issue.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:17 AM

All replies

• Disable all power management to see will it complete chkdsk job.

-nismo

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

It is a Windows Vista system so it is recommanded to post to following forum instead:

Windows Vista IP Pro

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro

Some personal opinion: You cannot skip the disk checking should be caused that the keyboard is not start working at that phase. A PS/2 keyboard may help in this situation.

Also if a computer could not be boot into Safe Mode, you may prepare to do a system repair. Also if check disk cannot be finished, you may suspect if it is a hard disk issue.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:17 AM