none
WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard not working proberly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have this problem with the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard, that it can't delete some of the computers (4 pcs) that we have that haven't contacted the for more than 30 days.

If I use the CleanStale utility, it can't detect and move the 4 pc's:

CleanStaleComputers.exe /days:30 /delete:no /prompt:no

If I alter the day number to 20, it finds a lot of other pc's and move em to Stale Group (but not the 4 above).

I can manually delete the pc's, but in a couple of weeks, I have the same problem with some of the pc's.

Can the database somehow be corrupted ?

Best Regards

Peter

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:00 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your replies and time - but I decided to create a brand new WSUS server which works perfectly in my environment - this way I am also running on the latest versions of Agent/Server.

Thanks

Peter

Friday, August 9, 2013 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Did you try to remove them manually ?

You go the the Computers Group they are linked to and to "Right clic - Delete" them ?

TiGrOu.

Friday, August 2, 2013 1:26 PM
  • I have this problem with the WSUS Server Cleanup Wizard, that it can't delete some of the computers (4 pcs) that we have that haven't contacted the for more than 30 days.

First, the CleanStaleComputer utility was designed for WSUS v2, and may work unpredictably on WSUS v3. Using the Server Cleanup Wizard is the correct methodology for this task.

What is the exact response you get from the Server Cleanup Wizard when attempting to delete these computers.

If you can manually delete these PCs, then do so. When the "same problem" occurs later, is it these same PCs that are reappearing, or are you having the issue with the SCW when deleting ANY PC. Can the PCs always be deleted manually?

I'm not aware of any specific scenarios in which the SCW had had issues deleting computers that were otherwise eligible for deletion, and the fact that you can manually delete the computer suggests to me that there's nothing wrong in the database at all, but the issue most likely is with the SCW enumerating those computers as eligible for deletion.

What are the actual Last Contact Date and Last Reported Date for a computer currently exhibiting this issue?

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Hi

I can manually delete computers them from WSUS by right clicking and selecting delete.

When running the Server Cleanup Wizard, Delete Computers that have not contacted the server in 30 days or more:
    Computers that have not contacted the server deleted: 0 - so they are not detected as eligible.

I am not sure if it is the same machines that appears again, but the Cleanup Wizard is able to delete some machines, but not all for some strange reason.

The server version is not the latest version (3.2.7600.251) because it requires management approval for me to update it - so this is the last resort. (Perhaps this server build is the blame ?)

Best regards

Peter

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi

I can manually delete computers them from WSUS by right clicking and selecting delete.

When running the Server Cleanup Wizard, Delete Computers that have not contacted the server in 30 days or more:
    Computers that have not contacted the server deleted: 0 - so they are not detected as eligible.

I am not sure if it is the same machines that appears again, but the Cleanup Wizard is able to delete some machines, but not all for some strange reason.

The server version is not the latest version (3.2.7600.251) because it requires management approval for me to update it - so this is the last resort. (Perhaps this server build is the blame ?)

Best regards

Peter

Do you know if new computers linked to the WSUS appears in the Update Console ?

I'm just wondering if your SCW is not able to delete computer with a different WUAgent version. Maybe Lawrence will be able to reply my request : if I have computers in my console with various Core version, is the server able to manage them the same way ?

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

Monday, August 5, 2013 7:45 AM
  • Hi

I know that an old WSUS server can't handle a new WSUS Agent - but we have the same agent on all the clients.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards

Peter

Monday, August 5, 2013 11:59 AM
  • My answer is so stupid ...

Indeed the newest WUAgent will be taken as the reference for contacting WSUS.

Older version will need to be patched or simply will no contact the WSUS.

Can you answer Lawrence last question, then we'll maybe found out something more relevant :

What are the actual Last Contact Date and Last Reported Date for a computer currently exhibiting this issue?

Thanks.

TiGrOu.

Monday, August 5, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for your replies and time - but I decided to create a brand new WSUS server which works perfectly in my environment - this way I am also running on the latest versions of Agent/Server.

Thanks

Peter

Friday, August 9, 2013 6:04 AM